Give Trademillcrane to Britons for DM

Theres no weak civ in DM because its mirror.

1 Like

britons are not weak in death match, well back in the AOK days anyway when no siege units are allowed.

It would be nice to have civs with DM specific bonuses / tech trees / units, so that it would be balanced in the same way RM is balanced.

First step would be a tech tree view switch between RM and DM. DM obviously removes all of the first 3 ages. Then DM would remove some things no one needs, like a blacksmith and university. Then it could collapse all resource collection buildings into 1 (like TC), cause this is a complexity that only has merit in RM. With that, there is extra space to add things. DM would have a few extra units that makes sense in DM; this is area is wildly unexplored, maybe start with a very slow but very strong area of affect unit. DM would also need civ bonuses specific to DM. Again, this is largely unexplored.

This is a huge amount of work though and probably not many peopleā€™s priority list.

You are basically asking to make new 35 civs.

This. DM is not a really popular mode and the competitive communty has always gone for mirror. People are making a problem where thereā€™s none

Actually, Yeomen towers arenā€™t that great. Also, Iā€™m sure most players build their second and third town centers before they build a university for treadmill crane.

#1. Treadmill crane is a Castle age tech.
#2. I agreeā€¦ give the Britons treadmill crane not only in DM but also in RM. Anyway, they lack Bombard Towers or strong population efficient units. So, they need it to build castles faster to pump out Longbows.

britons are already one of rhe best rm civs in the game

Just want to throw in that it is very unlikely to have a specific DM balance as it is usually played mirror. Also right now it is the least popular mode even behind Empire Wars (which gets balanced first)

Britons lacking Treadmill Crane is as already stated by a post above to counteract the TC wood bonus and also the faster working Archery Ranges. Huns and Goths also have faster working military buildings and NO Treadmill Crane. Which means they are slower initially but can produce units a lot faster than any other Civ making the military buildings ā€œquality over quantityā€ if you will.
Even though this tech is rarely researched i do not think it would be a good idea that Britons would have access to it. :slight_smile:

Maybe it could be balanced, eg by giving each civ a DM-specific bonus, and maybe a DM fan would be willing to work out such a system if the Devs said theyā€™d consider putting it into the main game. Why make predictions about what canā€™t happen?

You wrote it exactly backwards :smiley:

Civ differences are HUGE, weak and strong, thatā€™s why you need to play mirror. Thatā€™s not how it should be!

2 Likes

because its a heck of a lot of work for not a lot of pay off that affects a miniscule portion of the playerbase.

yeah? civ differences vary from map to map and mode to mode to begin, unless you want 140 different civs to memorize, just accept what will be will be (each civ given what you want would have to be balanced around RM, DM, Water, and EW)

Did you even read the thing youā€™re quoting? A lot of work for who and miniscule payoff for who? Hint: those are different people.

True. RM is all about the early game. Giving them treadmill crane is not going to be buff their early game.

Assuming itā€™s an open map or even Arena, I donā€™t think most people would spend 300 food, 200 wood to get Treadmill crane in Castle Age. They may at the most do it while advancing to Imperial age. Their late Imperial is weak anyway. Late Imperial, the only things you got are massed Longbows, halberdiers (or Champions if youā€™re against Goths/Incas/Aztecs/Mayans)ā€¦ and trebuchets to deal with buildingsā€¦ with maybe a few Onagers.

Contrary to what you may be thinking, War Wolf is just a wild card tech. Itā€™s good for Trebuchet vs Trebuchet fights and maybe targeting random units. Unlike Celtic and Japanese Trebuchets, British Trebuchets donā€™t take out buildings faster.

As it is, their archers lack Thumbring. Isnā€™t it fair to at least give them Treadmill crane to help build Castles faster to help mass their Unique units late game?

The Britons and the Vikings were originally made like a precursor to the native american civliizations: Strong economic bonus, weak cavalry and no real gun powder except for Cannon galleons. If the Aztecs and Mayans can have treadmill crane, why canā€™t the Britons?

I donā€™t think most people invest 300 food, 200 wood to get Treadmill Crane in Castle Ageā€¦ thatā€™s when the TC wood discount and faster working ranges are the most prominent. It is needed for building Castles in the late Imperial ageā€¦ to help mass Longbowmen. As far as I know, people get Treadmill Crane either in the Imperial age or while advancing to it. Britons really need Castles to make their Unique unit and they really need Longbowmen.

Huns and Goths can also train their Unique unit at their respective military buildings. That is a very important difference. You can literally build about 10 Barracks and spam Huskarls like there nobodyā€™s business. This is not about buffing their Castle Age Crossbowman massing abilities. Itā€™s about their ability to mass Longbowmen in the Imperial Age.

If youā€™re suggesting allowing the Britons to train Longbowmen at archery ranges as a bonus, that sounds like a good ideaā€¦ but many would argue that it is over powered. Considering that, I propose letting them pay 300 food, 200 wood and have Treadmill crane to build Castles faster.

there archers are also produced faster and have insane range to offset their lack of thumb ring. not having thumb ring is a balancing mechanism for them. can you imagine if britons archers fired as fast as other civs archers, with other civs accuracy, and had extra range on top of it? no one could do anything to them.

yeah. True.

DM is all about units that hit very hard and are somewhat tanky. Paladins, Siege Rams, Bombard Cannons, Siege Onagers, Bombard Tower are what you need in a DM.

Thereā€™s a reason why Spanish, Turks, Persians, Koreans, Franks, Teutons, Khmer, Saracens, Huns can be good.

However, getting your buildings up does help a bit. I would say that the Britons can have it both in RM and DM because their late game depends heavily on Longbowmen. Treadmill Crane helps build Castles fasterā€¦ which helps.

goths are literally designed to use their unique unit like that. huns and britons not so much.

I donā€™t mind lacking Thumbring, man. Iā€™m arguing in favour of giving them treadmill crane.

so a civ who has insane range on their archers, and can pump them out insanely fast, should also be able to drop those ranges faster? makes zero sense.

Treadmill Crane is a late game tech or something you grab while advancing to Imperial age. It is not much of a Castle Age tech. I sincerely doubt any Briton player would research it in the Castle Age even if he had access to it.

Will it buff their early Imperial age? I guess it mightā€¦ a little but if youā€™ve gone Imperial, you probably have a lot of ranges out already. So, it does not make a difference.

Will it buff their Castle age where the archery range and town center discount are the most relevant? No.

If you have been reading what I was saying, you would understand that it is not about dropping ranges, it is about dropping Castles for their Unique unit. Is that too much nuance?