Graphics likes/dislikes Poll

Mild Blood
Mild Language
Violence

age 2 DEs rating. Mild Blood, no gore. Like I said, age has NEVER EVER been about blood and gore

1 Like

5 Likes

That isn’t gory or bloody. MILD BLOOD. Are you just ignoring the Mild part or what am I missing here? Lol
Age 1 was the bloodiest game in the franchise pretty sure and that’s as far as it goes. The gif you showed has blood splattering when a unit is hit(in age they don’t bleed until they hit the ground) and the spear kill animation was especially brutal

2 Likes

If you don’t want to see combat in a Medieval Game, maybe you should not be playing a game about creating units for warfare and domination?

4 Likes

Please show me where I said I didn’t want to see combat? I said I don’t want a CoD medieval game

2 Likes

Because the people who want blood and a little bit more violence are just bloodthirsty vampires that enjoy seeing human suffering and has nothing to do with realistic medieval battlefield immersion at all. Imagine if someone could design a game with an option where you can toggle this feature on and off:

2 Likes

Ancestors Legacy

Intense Violence
Blood and Gore
Partial Nudity
Strong Language
A hyperrealism medieval game. That’s what you get when you try to get an immersive medieval game

Because the people who want blood and a little bit more violence are just bloodthirsty vampires that enjoy seeing human suffering and has nothing to do with realistic medieval battlefield immersion at all. Imagine if someone could design a game with an option where you can toggle this feature on and off:

Still would make it M rated. Gears of War 5 can be toggled on and off(mature things, language, gore, blood, ect)
And it is still M

Btw, the gif you showed isn’t a little bit more violence, it is leaps and bounds ahead of what Age 2 was, if you expect that from an Age game than you are in the wrong place

2 Likes

Best would just be to create scalable graphics based how good ur pc is. Starting from ultra high settings where everything looks just stunning and ending with garbage settings so u can play on ancient pc. Every1 would be happy then.
Also customization of unit details and weapons size could be potentially changed in settings.
So both worlds would be happy, pros can play tiny units that looks like cubes but has huge weapons for visibility but casual gamer that enjoys good graphics can play very realistic looking game. Not every1 cares about winning as many games as possible. A lot of people just enjoy doing their own thing in a game that looks awesome

2 Likes

I’m not a big fan of how archers siege buildings. AoE III got it right by allowing a separate siege damage action.

1 Like

The game looks awesome! My only concerns are the buildings sizes (some of them look way too small when compared to the units), the destruction animations (especially the gates) and those arrows that look a bit weird.
I actually like how colorful the game looks and how different each civ are from one another.
I love the fact that we can finally place archers on the walls and that siege towers can actually be used to climb them. But the feedback I would give if I’m given the chance is that would be AWESOME if it was also possible to construct catapults and towers above the walls just like in Lord of The Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth:

1 Like

Those BfME games were masterpieces with sky high production values (e.g. specific voices for every single type of unit, even generic soldiers) and IMO they are still underrated to this day. Their only drawback was the lack of proper base building and resource collection. It was a bit too simplistic for the sake of a faster gameplay.

AOE IV is boasting new features included in the very first BfME back in 2004, like the ability to hide in forests and units on top of walls and STILL lacks more advanced game mechanics like cavalry charge, walls with siege, context-aware unit stances (wedge, block, porcupine, etc.).

I always loved that in BfME when you amass enough units and have them move, it sounds like a real army marching, armor metal clanking, horses galloping, soldiers talking… it adds a lot to the immersion.

4 Likes

I think they do have cavalry charge but the implementation is pretty poor. Notice in the trailers that cav units have lances when they are running towards the enemy then switch to swords. This(to me) is a cavalry charge, but poor animations for it and such

1 Like

Look the ambush part, if i’m not mistake in this part you will be able to see the “post charge” animation. The switch to sword seems to be the default weapon and the lance being weird one time use (i guess that they took lance’s from tournament to fight)

the units when zoomed could use a bit more detail and I still dont really like the UI Design.(i know we play in a documentation of some sort, but I think it looks tooo modern for me)

However on all else, I am quite happy or at least okay with exxagerated graphics (eg arrows and big units). However it seems many palyers care less for playability and more for looks, so

I suggest an “easy to control” mode and a “realistic proportions of arrows” aswell as “smaller units” options. This way both types of players would probably be happy.

Otherwise there will probably be mods made, like smaller trees in Age 2, but it would be far better for sales to include both as options, I assume.

1 Like

nothing here is marketed toward kids though, age was always (except 1) friendly to the young, and drew a cartoony picture of the medieval times (2) or other times (3)

2 Likes

The arrows are really a problem. The arrows are too big and the animation is clumsy. This also applies to the animation of the cavalry and its movement on the map. I think so

1 Like

Yeah I think there is enough division on this issue that a toggle switch for “enhanced unit details” would be a really good idea.

6 Likes

Or a 1440p 4k graphics pack i see that a lot in games now.

agreed this is AoE not Total war

1 Like

I think weapon sizes are perfectly forgivable for readability, see the cavalry archer’s bow or scout cavalry’s sword on AOE2:DE, but the size of what’re supposed to be big buildings are disappointing.

Personally though, the UI is the most offensive to me! At least it’s easily moddable, but there was so much art and colour in previous AOE UI’s and this one looks so… streamlined and cold… I hope a legacy version is included in the release!

1 Like