Guide for Modding Terrain

Would like to bring a certain Mod from aoe2HD called “Smoothie”.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=835672481

The files seem to be png and i noticed the file format is different for DE. Also i have no clue on how to publish the mods either. Can any one kindly tell me in short the steps i need to make this work here? I am looking for the following:

1. Do i need to convert .png -> .dds
  2. Do i need to worry about the resolution of the textures? I do not mind if it isn’t 4k
  3. If i need a tool to convert, what would it be?
  4. How can i test this? How can i know the naming convention of each terrain? I can see some examples from the current terrain mods already available for DE, can i use the same names?
  5. How can i publish a mod? Any step by step guide or picture tutorial? Steam Workshop had a great guide, i couldn’t find it here.

HD format is 100% different than CD and DE format, so there’s that

I already made it work and you can convert the formats. I published the mod it is working.
https://www.ageofempires.com/mods/details/2910/

1. Do i need to convert .png -> .dds (YES i did)
  2. Do i need to worry about the resolution of the textures?(No need)
  3. If i need a tool to convert, what would it be? (Any online png to dds converter)
  4. How can i test this? (Put the mod in local mod folder)
  5. How can i publish a mod? (zip file it and upload to website here)
2 Likes
  1. Yes
  2. No, smaller resolution is fine
  3. You can use an online converter (https://www.aconvert.com/image/png-to-dds) , but getting a plugin for Photoshop (https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop) or whatever image editor you might have is a better idea because it will be faster, and you can produce DDS files that have a smaller filesize while still being the same resolution. You don’t need to include/generate mipmaps, but it looks better if you do.
  4. You can also replace the actual game files to test. AoE2DE\resources_common\terrain\textures\2x
  5. The easiest way is to download an existing texture mod. Delete the textures, put in yours and delete the json and preview image. Then you can either zip and upload to the website, or you can put it in your local mods folder, and publish it using the ingame mod manager.
2 Likes

Thank you for your reply and help. I had one small issue perhaps you can solve. My terrain works great but i had some friends report issues.

When they delete a farm (or farm expires) it totally disappears and becomes part of the terrain. I know the reason, i replaced pretty much all terrain to one single Grass terrain so i believe that is why it is happening.
What i would like to know is which was the original terrain(file name) that was responsible for the dead/depleted farm? This way i can put that one back and the issue should be resolved.

Any chance you would know this? Here is the list of files i had my texture pack work on:

• g_bc2.dds
  • g_bc3.dds
  • g_bc4.dds
  • g_bch.dds
  • g_beach_wet.dds
  • g_des.dds
  • g_ds2.dds
  • g_ds3.dds
  • g_ds4.dds
  • g_ds5.dds
  • g_fm2.dds
  • g_fo2.dds
  • g_for.dds
  • g_for2.dds
  • g_gr2.dds
  • g_gr3.dds
  • g_gr4.dds
  • g_gr5.dds
  • g_gr6.dds
  • g_gr7.dds
  • g_gravel_default.dds
  • g_gravel_wet.dds
  • g_grs.dds
  • g_ice.dds
  • g_ice_beach.dds
  • g_pal.dds
  • g_pal1.dds
  • g_qs.dds
  • g_qs2.dds
  • g_r01.dds
  • g_rck.dds
  • g_rd1.dds
  • g_rd2.dds
  • g_rd5.dds
  • g_rm2.dds
  • g_rock_wet.dds
  • g_sh3.dds
  • g_snd.dds
  • g_snf.dds
  • g_sno.dds
  • g_sr2.dds
  • g_underbrush_leaves.dds
  • textfile.txt

This is in 2x folder i do not know what the 1x folder is for either. Perhaps you can explain. Thank You!

From appearance it seems, that “g_fm1.dds” is full farm and “g_fm2.dds” is depleted farm.

1 Like

The files in the 2x folder are (mostly) 2048x2048, in 1x they are 1024x1024 (mostly).
IMPORTANT: the game only uses the 2x folder, so your modded files must also be in 2x (even if you do a smaller size)

1 Like

bang on! fm2 was depleted farm, i put the original one back and solved the issue. Thank you so much.

Got it, thanks for the info. I had no clue about the difference.

Hmm, so the game only uses the 2x folder, even if you don’t use the enhanced graphics mod? I was assuming it would use 1x if not using enhanced graphics mod, and 2x if using enhanced graphics mod. Then what is the point of the images in the 1x folder?