Has Age of Empire III been abandoned?

It’s also worth noting that MS is currently promoting an entire new AoE spinoff and a major AoE2 DLC. Marketing resources are being moved here first before AoE3’s team is allowed to announce their own plans.

4 Likes

Like we haven’t got a single news on AOMR for months…

2 Likes

I think this gAmE iS dEaD drama is not that unusual.

5 Likes

Nobody knows when DLC will come or not, but this game is still alive forever. Other games have a lot of cheaters and hackers, AoE3DE doesn’t have only one problem. But all of you should keep your expectations low because you won’t be disappointed.

2 Likes

It is ironically funny because, on the other side of this forum, people playing with 2DE saying “NO NEW THINGS”.

2 Likes

Not so. They jumped into ‘OP’ territory quickly when Fetorias were too strong. Then Fetorias got toned down and now you never see them on ranked. (But I still play them sometimes). There will always be a civ in the ‘top’ and people will always favor the ‘top’ civs, because they seem to care a LOT about ‘ELO’. Subjectively, the civs Sweden and China seem ridiculously OP to me, but we just have to go with the hard data. I would be much more confident in my ability to beat Otto than either of these civs.

I don’t see how anyone can think AOE 3 is ‘abandoned’ frankly it is insulting considering the amount of work and attention the devs have put into this game. Don’t forget this is a game with a TINY player base, and if that isn’t enough, a lot of players are contemptuous of anyone with an ‘elo’ (strongly correlated with APM and not game knowledge or experience) lower than them. The devs bent over backwards giving us features we requested. Compare that to AOE4, where those different devs refused to even allow you to zoom out more and only adjusted the zoom a tiny bit without making any real change, meanwhile AOE3 devs gave us ludicrous zoom as an experimental option (which I have been using on max zoom out since the feature was made available). I would say AOE3 is one of, if not the most LEAST abandoned game I have knowledge of.

9 Likes

Good reply. The game has been out for two years. It is great no doubt. I’ve spent alot of time there,had a lot of fun.

The not so fun part though hasn’t yet shown any light at the end of the tunnel. Perhaps I’m not as optimistic as I should be.

2 Likes

Be optimistic, I think that now they will release an Asian dlc for AoE 3 and they will focus on AoM Retold to launch it in October for the 20th anniversary of The Titans…as it happened with AoE 1 DE in 2018 regarding Rise of Rome and 5 years later with Return of Rome…

1 Like

Good post. I agree with most points

However, it should be noted that aoe3 is still among the most played RTS.

4 Likes

Communication is half-dead. That’s not good.
We see updates on steamdb literally every day but have no idea what to expect.

Just a small teaser no?

4 Likes

The teaser is: we don’t communicate, we just copypaste.

1 Like

Still waiting for Ports rework! Cmon guys.

4 Likes

With the amount of steamdb entries happening something has to be cooking in the oven. This is a lot more activity than what is normally seen from just a regular update/patch.

7 Likes

That grid doesn’t consider elo < 1100,

Leaderboard | AOE III DE Companion App (aoe3-companion.web.app)

In this site, you can see that lower level elos are having much more difficulty vs ottomans than higher level players, with ottomans having 55% win rates in the elo range 700-1000. I agree though there are stronger civs, but its not like ottoman isn’t one of them.

Also, in the grid you posted, ottoman performs with 74, meaning it has exactly 50% win rate, which isn’t poor performance at all.

1 Like

Could it be the spring patch that had been promised after the last big patch?

People assumed that said patch was one of the last to be deployed in early spring, but it’s still spring, right?

1 Like

I don’t think so. They already confirmed that the March one was indeed spring.

1 Like

It was a good patch (in case anyone misunderstands me), but why did they promise it was better than 2022?

AoE3 players whenever the game doesn’t get updated for one millisecond: the game is dead and the devs have abandoned us.
Though I do agree it’s annoying how quiet they have been.

I wish all games had their own sets of devs, but Retold is getting made in the same engine as 3DE so I guess it makes sense to borrow devs that are already experienced with it.

8 Likes

I think people are more prone to paranoia considering the way World’s Edge treats the game, support from FE notwithstanding. Heck, even some 2DE folk have noticed how WE downplays 3DE.

They didn’t. They said “Wait for our next big update in the spring”.