Here's how to get rid of AOE2 DE censor entirely:

Were it the swords or the booze, which ended those soldiers in this state?..

Source?

There is no source.

Some think this is the reason and spread it as truth.

3 Likes

Baseless allegations. Western mindset, blame China for everything.

2 Likes

Look up wrath of the lich King release in China. It is not baseless.

Here I did it for you because I donā€™t like being accused of spreading rumors and lies: https://www.themarysue.com/wrath-of-the-lich-king-china-censorship/

2 Likes

https://www.techinasia.com/china-doesnt-censor-skeletons-the-truth-about-game-censorship-in-the-middle-kingdom

Thanks for that link, I didnā€™t know that they censored the game before even submitting it to the ministry.

I learned that there might me double standard for foreign games to get approved, which is maybe done to make Domestic games more competitive and at the same time foreign companirs over censor themself to counteract this.

I would still say its the chinese ministry fault, thought, driving these companies to these censor acts in fear of being rejectedā€¦

2 Likes

I think it could indeed the reason, but i have never read some statement from Microsoft or one of the other devs about this choice. Both links speak about games in general. AoE II isnt mentioned.

All of this is nice, but no matter what, skeletons are in the game, and the censor doesnā€™t work in Chinese so this is pretty much irrelevant.

of all the games you could say, (WK, UP)

Why HD? HD is still a bad port no matter if DE is good or bad

2 Likes

Bump.

Can anyone who used this confirm itā€™s still working?
Seems to be not working anymore

Let me copy what I posted on AoEZone after the update:

Bad News Everyone!

As of the new update (July 21), the original method I showed no longer works!

This is because the chat filter now sends requests to
api.ageofempires.com/textmoderation
instead of
text-mod.ageofempires.com

You cannot block specific URLs in the hosts file, only whole domains.
If you want, you can do this:
0.0.0.0 api.ageofempires.com

It will work, HOWEVER, it may also interfere with other functionality. For example, it prevents you from browsing mods on the Age of Empires website. It may also mess with other things too that I havenā€™t found yet.

If someone has a clever and user-friendly way to block requests to a specific subdomain, please let us know!

6 Likes

Maybe a script? It kinda messes with System32 files, but having two quick block/unblock scrips could totally help. Use the ā€œblockā€ script before opening the game, then the ā€œunblockā€ script when you need to browse different stuff. All it does is replace/rewrite the file.
Maybe Overwolf allows for this kind of shortcuts? this would make the process of turning censor on/off almost painless.

Changing it on the fly with a simple script is actually a valid possibility. Still a nuisance, but doable. The hosts file is just a simple text file, but you do need admin rights to save edits. Ideally you would have it just edit that entry each time.

1 Like

@Zetnus

until the update the game to use different address.

looks like I guessed it from few months back. now itā€™ll be another address in a few months.

Kind of a d i c k move if you ask me.
Why canā€™t we just choose whether we want something or not?

in-game?

Seems like the devs want to have a working censor for some reason i cant explain. Otherwise they wont have fixed this workaround.

Also in game. It just loads forever.

ā– ā– ā– ā– ,
This is bad.

So, just everyone must use a censor system.

Any of the devs care to explain why?

And if you are gonna give me reduce toxicity, just look at COD lobbies

Lol. Pathetic. It is exactly as I predicted what would happen. But wait! I found a new way of communicating, taken straight from the AoE reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe/comments/i48rzq/my_team_mate_found_a_thing_to_do_while_we_waited/

Stop supporting AoE2DE. Donā€™t play games that enforce censorship upon you especially when it is so extreme you canā€™t even type simple totally harmless words. Donā€™t lower yourself to their level. Donā€™t buy their future games. Donā€™t fool yourselves and comply with these idiots.

5 Likes