Hit Restart Game, but It Loads Game Instead

Game Version: 36211

• Build: 36211
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Gamertag: KerriganBabe

Issue:

I got stuck on a level and thought that it would be best to restart the mission in order to try a new strategy. However, when I click Restart, the game asks if I’m sure I want to restart and when I say yes, it loads my game instead of restarting the mission.
I also tried quitting the mission and selecting Restart on the defeat screen. This led to the same result where it loaded my save instead of starting the mission over again.

Reproduction Steps:

Here’s how to reproduce the problem:

1. (List the steps we can take to reproduce the bug ourselves…)

ATTACHMENTS:

:heavy_check_mark: (ATTACH A SCREENSHOT IF YOU ARE ABLE!)
:heavy_check_mark: (BONUS: ATTACH A VIDEO OF THE PROBLEM HAPPENING)
:heavy_check_mark: (ATTACH YOUR DXDIAG IF YOU ARE ENCOUNTERING A TECHNICAL ISSUE)
:heavy_check_mark: (ATTACH ANY CRASH/GAME LOGS [IF RELEVANT])

3 Likes

This is very annoying since it requires to go to the campaign screen to actually restart scenarios! :unamused:

1 Like

While you posted this topic in July 2020, with build 36211, this issue is still happening in build 38862.

1 Like

Game Version:

• Build (101.101.34793.0 4597979)
  • Platform (Steam)

Issue:

When defeated in campaign and pressing the restart button it takes the game to the last autosave instead of starting the scenario from the beginning.

Reproduction Steps:

Play until the games makes autosave, when defeated try to restart the scenario (spotted in historical battles also).

Is this a bug or a feature?

1 Like

I am experiencing this too. I hope they fix this.

2 Likes

I’d really appreciate them fixing this. The usual thing to do when playing (causally) is to restart when somehow we can’t proceed or be able to progress on current objective and that it would affect the grand strategy to a point of no return. It is very bad for the game to load a saved game instead, since the button clearly says “restart” scenario, not “quick load” a save.

1 Like

I’ve always thought of this as a feature rather than a bug.

This issue is still present in build 46777. Even after losing a game, to hit “restart” only loads the last save.

In my opinion, this is still a relic from the old game and was never addressed.

I’d love them fixing this… yesterday I lost several times at certain scenario, and had to go back to the campaign selection menu in order to start over the whole thing.

1 Like

You could also have just saved at startup.

Problem is I normally forget this issue exists in the 1st place…

1 Like

Wanted to restart the Colonization of Ionia scenario (which I find to be extremely hard and tedious, by the way), but forgot about this bug, so the game loaded the last save instead.

1 Like