House side by side, to wall?

Well, all of the good players were Mongols, so that makes sense :wink:

2 Likes

except they walled BEHIND the wall. You would not see an open market used as a wall, or even houses. They fortified walls from the back, and maybe some buildings for peasants were also used as a " wall" but never in the way age depicts it :wink:

1 Like

Well, in fact yes.

In medieval time, market and house are used has inner wall to help defend the city, in case of wall breach.

Strasbourg

1 Like

now, thats a market. the one dispalyed in age 2 and 4 for that matter, are much more open though, they are basically market stands around a house, which wiuld not defend. Also As said, inner walls, so behind the real walls, yes.

From what I gathered, the street portrayed by you was ised like this to defend the pass more easily, which is true.

However never do I see what we have in age- a real house wall, no walls included.

Would be nice, if we place multiple buildings together, they will connect together. If you place a Building in an open area, they are more open, like now. This would be realistic, but it will not happen unfortunately.

2 Likes

there are a few examples of really archaic settlements, but yes, not in the middle ages. But there are tons of examples where Houses got integrated in Citywalls (or more often later attached to them)

funfact:
While doing research, i found this
 its probably the closest we get to house-walls ^^

its a semi-private defensive structure from northern germany. Whenever the city was under attack its inhabitants had to open up for the townguards

5 Likes

yep, that was pretty much was I meant. yes there were walls, there were houses, maybe used defensively, but not primarily as walls without any stone wall present, at least from what I knew.

The funny thing about a wiekhaus would be that if spoken its like weak house, which it certaily is compared to the stone wall besides it 11

But While I think the wooden part of the house wall may be incinerated, its hard to imagine these big chunks of wood ablaze.
I would ask myself though what would happen if the supporting logs holding the upper house were to be
 gone :smiley: Cant imagine they arent there for nothing xD

That wiekhaus would be a very interesting additional “Unique unit” for the HRE though, a tower which could only be build in walls, has a litttle less protection but gives pop space and can house archers :smiley:

2 Likes

The recent balance changelog has suddenly made walls super viable.

4 Likes

play the beta and know it yourself

You are funny, still waiting for steam open beta stress test . X D

I would argue DoW and CoH are successful RTS franchises, albeit with minimal base building.

For me, regular buildings not able to block is a welcome feature. I think walls are gates are enough.

1 Like

Walling structure together is a necessity in medieval time.

It make easy for people to defend and the people need to walk less to defend a position.

The more compact you can make your city, the more easy it is to build wall around of it.

It is hard and almost impossible to defend if you spread building every where.

The only stratégie will be to attack the enemy, but, at this point, it is not a strategy if every one do the same.

I agree with you. I just disagree that AoE4 should remove the feature.

Keep in mind that many of the pro players including big name ones such as the Viper and Hera were invited and had input on AOE 4 gameplay, so can’t blame devs on they don’t aren’t competitive players.

Because of the non-existence of devs and community managers on forums and social media I get the impression that the community council was mostly ignored just like closed beta testers.

they did, but they did not listen. So, what’s the difference?
they asked about feedback and everyone said “ZOOOM” but they did not listen.
Same story here
 they could ask but did not listen
 so
 it has nothing with feedback from “pros”.

anyway, dont see the problem with houses it’s game design and can be like that.
at least u have not think about “blocking” baracks on the field.

I saw them on stream 11 Mb they discuss only in person and u have to come in Vancouver personally.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t care. It’s good that AOE IV is different from the others, not just a remake.

1 Like

This seems unfair. The zoom level was changed, and walling with buildings is a completely separate topic. As demonstrated by this thread alone, not exactly one people are united on (compared to zoom level, which nearly everyone was).

2 Likes

For the beta build? Because I still had units like cannons shoot through walls.

I’ve seen inconsistencies with the wall honestly.
sometimes you can shoot through walls with certain units and at other times not.