How to counter Chariot Archers

It seems that chariot archers may be a little OP, can someone help me understand how to deal with them in bronze age?

1 Like

Tool Rush. (OK you said in Bronze, sorry).

Fast Bronze and Cav Rush.

Compies + Stone Throwers.

Camels - if only a few CA’s

CA’s and chariots of your own, send the Chariot at an angle and the arrows won’t hit whilst your CA’s focus fire.

If your archers get focused try pulling the targetted one back to drag theirs forward.

Mass Cav can work but is not cost effective, best to wall and use your cav to kill their villagers.

Minoen archers. cheap, more range.
just less mobility, but for defensive purpose they are the best.

@Lithen777 said:
It seems that chariot archers may be a little OP, can someone help me understand how to deal with them in bronze age?

More chariot archer !

It seems the power of the chariot archer (CA) comes from it’s ability to fire arrows and then run away. It can dodge basically almost anything and keep shooting. This will kill catapults, foot archers, priests and of course all infantry. If I could make one change to this game, it would be to reduce their range from 7 to just 5 and increase their attack from 4 to 5 to compensate. I also think all chariots should be slower than cavalry but still faster than infantry. This would solve a lot of problems I think.

@Tgaud said:
Minoen archers. cheap, more range.
just less mobility, but for defensive purpose they are the best.

I totally agree, but then everyone would just either be Assyrian or Minoan and the game should be more diverse than that.

@Lithen777 said:

Yes. Get to Bronze first then build Chariot Archers.

@Lithen777 said:
It seems the power of the chariot archer (CA) comes from it’s ability to fire arrows and then run away. It can dodge basically almost anything and keep shooting. This will kill catapults, foot archers, priests and of course all infantry. If I could make one change to this game, it would be to reduce their range from 7 to just 5 and increase their attack from 4 to 5 to compensate. I also think all chariots should be slower than cavalry but still faster than infantry. This would solve a lot of problems I think.

I’d rather keep their attack at 4 and reduce the range to only 6. With 4 attack slingers with stone mining take only 1 damage per shot from chariot archers and are thus somewhat capable of defending from an early CA rush. If CAs had 5 attack they would do 2 damage per shot killing the slingers very fast.

Making CAs slower is also needed in my opinion. Currently it’s very difficult to catch well microed CAs with cavalry. I would also give cavalry 1 pierce armor and remove 10 HP to compensate. This would make cavalry a more efficient counter to archers.

well
 something important is learn to do a proper economy 
 if you sure that part of the game, the ones who will worry are your enemies xD

Yes in bronze age Chariot archers are very hard to counter. Even more If you are playing a civ that has no chariots at all. Hittie, Egyptian, and Assyrian CA’s are even more OP. And that’s why I also think they should have -1 range and move a bit slower than ‘regular’ cavarly. And that the slinger must have an extra bonus against them.
As said by @“Mystic Taboo” : Walls and defense are most effective (IMO as well). But in the open they’re hard to kill, and it can use an huge amount of cavalry (with all costs it requires) to take em out effectively.

If 99% of top level play assirian spam CA its because its totally over op of all time on the univers. In other word, with same level, spam CA is contered by spam CA :stuck_out_tongue: .

Yeah. Should make a seperate game: Age of Assyrian CA spampires.

I can assure for long years of experience playing random map + inland + low resources + revealed map (the settings Brazilians were adamant to play) Chariot Archers are UNBEATABLE. You could even think Yamatos could have cavalry before but Cariots don’t require gold and can amass, cluster in a tight space so enemy horses won’t get close.

I would usually just use Minoan Compies or just match their CA’s with Hittite/Assy.

@qweytr24 said:

@Lithen777 said:

I’d rather keep their attack at 4 and reduce the range to only 6. With 4 attack slingers with stone mining take only 1 damage per shot from chariot archers and are thus somewhat capable of defending from an early CA rush. If CAs had 5 attack they would do 2 damage per shot killing the slingers very fast.

Making CAs slower is also needed in my opinion. Currently it’s very difficult to catch well microed CAs with cavalry. I would also give cavalry 1 pierce armor and remove 10 HP to compensate. This would make cavalry a more efficient counter to archers.

Stone mining (tool age technology) does not grant the extra pierce armor (it grants +1 attack and +1 range), You need bronze shield (bronze age technology from storage pit) to get the extra pierce armor.

@pate623 said:

@qweytr24 said:

@Lithen777 said:

Stone mining (tool age technology) does not grant the extra pierce armor (it grants +1 attack and +1 range), You need bronze shield (bronze age technology from storage pit) to get the extra pierce armor.

You’re right, I mixed up those technologies. Still, the point is, you can make slingers somewhat feasible against CAs if they only have 4 attack.

@DaRossa said:
I can assure for long years of experience playing random map + inland + low resources + revealed map (the settings Brazilians were adamant to play) Chariot Archers are UNBEATABLE. You could even think Yamatos could have cavalry before but Cariots don’t require gold and can amass, cluster in a tight space so enemy horses won’t get close.

Join the Europeans/Americans who don’t play reveal map. Reveal Map is mega silly on Aoe as could even see where trees were being cut down. In ROR they removed this thankfully but still obvious where the enemy villagers would be to kill. We play random civ in team games as well so might not even have an assyrian in game.

against CA you wall. temporize go iron and come with cavalry archers and geavy catapults.

there was no problem from what i remember.

if something in the balance must change its not nerfing that must happens but boosting.

assyrian are good in bronze but ■■■■ in iron.
against hitties elephant archers and heavy catapults they do nothing

the only nerf i think is ok for Chariot archers is to nerf their acceleration (not speed!)
so the hit and run become very difficult.
nearly impossible.

but if you remove speed it will be impossible to catch assyrian and yamato villagers once wheel exists

@DaRossa said:

don’t play reveal map
 its half the fun

@Tgaud said:
against CA you wall. temporize go iron and come with cavalry archers and geavy catapults.

if something in the balance must change its not nerfing that must happens but boosting.

assyrian are good in bronze but **** in iron.

the only nerf i think is ok for Chariot archers is to nerf their acceleration (not speed!)
nearly impossible.

but if you remove speed it will be impossible to catch assyrian and yamato villagers once wheel exists

There is no such thing as acceleration in the game. And I think Assyrian and Yamato villagers should be made slightly slower, but even if you can’t catch them with CAs that’s not a problem, as merely driving them away from the resources is enough to cripple the enemy economy.

@qweytr24 said:

@Tgaud said:

assyrian are good in bronze but **** in iron.

nearly impossible.

There is no such thing as acceleration in the game. And I think Assyrian and Yamato villagers should be made slightly slower, but even if you can’t catch them with CAs that’s not a problem, as merely driving them away from the resources is enough to cripple the enemy economy.

well its a remasterization.
So u can implement acceleration. its a 15years old feature. itd easy to implement and it would a great tool