How will Return of Rome be different from the Rome at War MOD?

Maybe I’m overly belligerent, as a R@W dev, but I read it as derogatory to some extent, as the implication is for the R@W playerbase to be rapidly outnumbered, with no evidence to go on.

1 Like

no need to take offense to it. I speak only the functional stuff the other guy mentioned. we all sink in massive amount of time and effort to the stuff we love & taking in other ideas and criticism is still important, assuming it does improve on things.

bombergriffin’s first comment of “it be much easier to install for one thing” is what I was referring to of the functional stuff, on the above quote.

3 Likes

So you think the AoE1 civs are not AoE1 content, but the R@W civs are? That doesn’t make any sense. How can “AoE1 content” refer to anything that’s not in AoE1?

7 Likes

The only one I like is Romans, tbh.
We have many Romans vs Barbarians games, so now we can actually make sense of those maps.
But, in any case, Romans should be able to cross eras: I know it may make not much sense to have a Romans vs Poles, but Huns don’t fare much differently & Romans are already popular even in AOE II DE.
Attila the Hun would need to use Romans as enemies.

We already have Rome in the game though

3 Likes

Yes we do, and they’re one of my favorite civs too. But East Rome is not the Rome these guys want. They want West Rome, the Latin Rome of Late Antiquity/Dark Age, with Legionaries and Centurions and bonused Ballistae/Scorpions and Onagers, not the Greek Rome that actually lasts throughout the entirety of the period, which we’ve had the entire time since '99.

Attila, Alaric, possibly a Vandal campaign should we ever one, etc. Basically any Early Medieval Period civ that’s situated in the western Roman Sphere.

4 Likes

Simple. All AoE1 civs are AoE1 content, but not all AoE1 content is AoE1 civs.

That’s true, but R@W content is not AoE1 content, and most other AoE1 content (i.e. the campaigns) is dependent on the AoE1 civs. Sure, perhaps the AoE1 content they’re adding is things like Gazelles, Narrows, BabyPrez, and the bug where units get stuck inside other units… but that seems unlikely.

1 Like

I wanted it a lot too since we already have the assets, and it would be nice for the Persians to get the Sogdian Cataphract. I was actually going to make a Roman mod based on the Goths since they have the infantry bonus’.

4 Likes

The infantry/siege Rome of Augustus isnt part of the timeline.

The dark ages rome is the same as Byzantines too, the thing is that East Rome and West Rome were the same in the dark ages

The fact is that you have to come to terms with the Roman civ in AoE 2 DE. I didn’t care for that civ and never even thought about it.

Now all we have to do is advise what to do to make this civ as cool as possible for us players - even though we didn’t want it. I hope the civ Romans aren’t the only civ coming to AoE 2 with this DLC, but I hope they’ll be the only weird one.

All I see now is adding some Papal States content to the Romans civ to make the civ more medieval - for example Pope instead of Monk.

4 Likes

Oh, I’m well aware. But that hasn’t stopped them from adding them, has it?

1 Like

If they add castle or at least uu to AOE1 like Rome at War does, I will certainly by it.

1 Like

thats the idea and Im pretty sure its coming. they are definitely going to change the core of AOE1 since it’ll be on AOE2 engine, meaning stuff like gates will be possible now and if they are changing that, they will be doing things like castles, UU etc

Any more information on this DLC? Let’s get hyped! I think Reddit had posts about the Roman Castle, some galley ship and some new units too.

5 Likes

So, would it be an AoE2 game with AoE1 tech tree/skins?
That means that we could have AoE1 civs against AoE2 civs right? Spanish against Egyptians 1v1 should be possible right?
The balance would be nuts

im honestly not sure, but I am hoping for that in non-ranked game at least.

If the Romans are coming to the regular AoE2 roster I hope this means Italians and Byzantines won’t speak Latin anymore.

6 Likes

I really hope that they make a Late Antiquity Romans not the Roman Republic or Augustus’s era Roman Empire, but them not showing us a single gameplay footage is just waaayyyy to sus. It’s like they are afraid of us finding out that they screwed up.

2 Likes

There are many interesting stories in the Late Roman period. Majorian, Constantine, Aetius, Theodosius, etc. And if we add the Vandals as a second civilisation, more stories open up. Campaigns on Aetius or Theodosius, and one on the long-lived Gaiseric would be very interesting. I wonder if a new building set could be on the cards.

5 Likes