How will Return of Rome be different from the Rome at War MOD?

They said that is a port of AoE I to AoE II engine. That probably means that no ancient civs against medieval. It wouldnt have sense also.

10 Likes

Possibly not in the main game but the scenario editor should have this possibility. Though I really hope we get to see some new building sets. Like Babylonian set for Assyria/Sumeria/Babylon/Persia and the Egyptian set for others.

2 Likes

They will do an another launcher for AoE 1
Both games will not intersect

2 Likes

And Japanese vs. Mayans doesn’t? A ton of aoe2 civs were from different eras and most of them never fought each other. And there have always been tons of unrealistic things and historical innacuracies in the game, nobody really cares, just play the game and appreciate that we are lucky to be getting new DLC and an active server with fairly regular updates from the deverlopers. Too much complaining on the forum! Complaining that aoe4 got a huge update when aoe2 didn’t, or that the new DLC won’t be exactly how you want it etc. etc. Just play it and see.

1 Like

No because they are not from same era and they are not same civilization.

How much were you paid?

Goths and Huns vs Aztecs makes sense as much Romans and Greeks vs Aztecs.

4 Likes

They really need to release more official stuff about the DLC.
There is a huge confusion about what this DLC will be right now and that might hurt sales.
They could have at last given us some screenshots and make the wording more clear.
A lot of people want to know if it is a close to 1 to 1 remake of AoE1DE in AoE2DE or more like an Expansion for AoE2DE?

15 Likes

I don’t think it will hurt sales too much, even if things were clarified only at launch. What it’s actually hurting right now is the general ambiance on the forum.

5 Likes

The european civs have plenty of crossover too. There is no real immersion in aoe2, it’s a 2D sprite based RTS game. Play Total War if immersion is that important.

I don’t know about you, but I feel very immersed when playing Age of Empires 2. And yes, I also played pretty much every Total War game out there.

You feel immersed when you play a 1v1 multiplayer game on arena as Aztecs vs. Japanese?

There are a few things that brake/hurt my immersion in AoE2.
The main issue is that units don’t have regional skins like in AoE4. That is less of an issue with European civilisations but for some it feel really out of place.
Aztecs shouldn’t have crossbows and Champions with plate armour.
Ethiopian units shouldn’t be white skinned.

A campaign mission where you fight the Franks as the Britons looks nice but it starts to look wrong the father you go away from there.

3 Likes

Return of Rome = Boring
Rome at War = Fun

as long as there are some civs from this DLC that can cross play with AOE2 im happy. even better allow all of them to be playable in custom lobbies or mods.

2 Likes

Pretty sure having both games in the same client will make it easier to at least have a mod that does that (assuming RaB is not what you want).

To make us happy, they should add the Romans into AoE2 as a bonus. I’d also enjoy having Babylonian ruins to work with in scenario editor.

1 Like

According to a leak, your message could come true. But psssst
 nothing confirmed.

4 Likes

What leak??? (20 char)

If Return of Rome doesn’t add an AoE1 civ it will be a huge fail. Why will people buy the same game for the 3rd time if no new civs are added?

There is a lot of potential to add civs: Indians, Slavs, Gokturks, Goths, Huns, etc.

1 Like

A late Western Roman civ is likely to be added in AOE 2, having unique-style castle (a fort located in the UK), centurions and legionaries as UU, as well as a Dromon.

7 Likes