Huge lags after the new patch

Thanks for the insights. Those are good points you’re making.

I still think something like a public test server for upcoming patches would help a lot there, wouldn’t it?

It could help, but there are issues around it. I think they may already have that for some beta testers, as I saw/heard mention of it causing problems for the beta testers because it wipes out their progress in the game. And obviously if you want to play multiplayer, there are implications for that. Also, beta testing like that provides unpredictable coverage of a test plan, so it’s never a substitute for covering a properly devised plan. Users of software tend to get a bit fed up of being unpaid testers, even if it seems like a novelty at first. And you have a tricky judgement of when to release that beta version - obviously it needs to be some time before it would otherwise go live, to allow time for people to use it, and for any major bugs reported to be fixed. So you either have to extend your timescales, or release the software for beta testing in a potentially worse state than it would be released if you didn’t have the beta testing phase. Managing the whole process and dealing with bug reports arising from it creates its own workload. It’s not a free lunch.

2 Likes

FIX THIS PLEASE WTF???

3 Likes

thanks for your work

1 Like

I am on steam and also facing frequent freezes. can anyone guide me how to install previous patch…
sry if this is a noob question

I wouldn’t recommend you that, just wait for the hotfix.

Same here. Was not having any lag issues until update, and now get huge lag. Especially in the late game when number of units starts increasing. Many games become completely unplayable as my game freezes for 20-30 seconds at a time, and then jumps around very quickly to catch up to the server. Please fix!
Steam version here as well.
@GMEvangelos: Thank you for the update. Hope the fix comes out soon!

Watch the official overview of the new patch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG6elbtmFEE between 8 to 11 seconds. Even the overview/promo video for the new patch had a lag spike 10 seconds into the video lol. They were probably well aware of the lag spikes with the new patch prior to release.

7 Likes

I have been experiencing consistent lag/stuttering in both single player (both campaign & regular random map) & multiplayer (ranked & unranked) games since the latest patch (steam version).

I have tried almost all the suggestions mentioned here: age-of-empires-ii-definitive-edition-how-to-increase-performance-fps without success.

I have a Widows 10 64bit OS, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 16GB of RAM, 1TB M2 SSD, & a RTX 2070 SUPER. This rig should be able to run Age2DE without any stuttering/freezing etc.

I really have been disappointed with the low quality code submissions that have been allowed to be published into the wild without any successful testing regime in place to catch the obvious bugs that appear to occur on a regular basis after each major update to the game.

I understand the difficulty in maintaining and updating a large code base, but I would hope that the devs would show some pride in their work, and focus on creating clean working code on the back-end instead of focusing on eye-candy on the front-end.

However, thank you for your efforts. I am very thankful for Age2DE and the life that has been breathed into a beloved classic, and I am looking forward to a fix hopefully in the near future.

It’s definitely not a PC performance issue. If I run the MS Store version on a low performance PC (i7 6700, GTX 1650) I get no freezing. If I run the Steam version on a medium performance PC (Ryzen 5 3600, 5700 XT) I get the freezing.

5 Likes

It does appear to affect Steam worst than the MS version. Had the steam version and it suffered badly with lag jumps every few minutes. Installed MS version instead and so far no issues. Could just be luck but it appears some others are experiencing better conditions for the MS version.

Then they shouldn’t release the patch. We have already waited for a month and I guess the majority of us don’t mind waiting for a longer time, or they can just update the civ balance which I guess won’t affect the performance as much as the other parts.
I absolutely appreciate their efforts on updating the Mongol events, path finding and etc, but if the update severely affects gaming experience even in single player, probably postpone the update is a better choice.

3 Likes

You know, maybe if we left the game alone for a bit like HD was for decades, we might not mess up the gameplay. Also, rebuffs on a monthly basis where units go from OP to useless and back isn’t healthy. How TF are people who don’t play daily supposed to keep up with some hidden buff. It’s not interesting, just ruins the meta… not even the same game at times.

2 Likes

Same problem, also tried reinstalling the game and dlc pack, but the problem persist.

I dont know man, trading days with bugs for years of no content doesnt sound like bussiness to me

3 Likes

My game has crashed 3 times during the loading screen of ranked games. All three of them were in 2v2 and the game continued while giving me no option to reconnect. I love this game but hate that AOE still hasn’t found an obvious solution for players to reconnect after DCing. I even went back to the multiplayer tab and it said I could queue up for a new game but couldn’t join.

1 Like

I’m surprised we’re still getting updates and all that, although if I had to bet they were testing on the Xbox platform and not Steam and even though the same code was deployed on both they probably interact different with their platforms in some manner. Hopefully they get this issue resolved.

I got used to freezes, but today something even more annoying happened to me. I couldn’t give any commands for 10 seconds while the game was running. It happened very regularly. I could see my archers firing, my vills working and increase in my resources. However, none of my commands were received. My opponent, however, was able to micro during all this time. I checked my connection several times, but it was ok. Why every patch brings more issues than solutions, I wonder.

2 Likes

@GMEvangelos: I have some findings regarding the 1 second lags that might not have been noticed yet (can’t find the word ‘menu’ in this thread):

• To me this already occasionally happened before the recent july update.
  • The ranked matchmaking queue was just stuck on the loading animation for me, even after the “failed to join match” popup appeared. I captured a video of it, rewatched it and noticed a 1 second lag in that loading animation.
  • Earlier today I saw a 1 second lag on the main menu (noticable by the floating leaves briefly stopping). I thought it was just because the game had just launched several seconds before that. Didn’t think too much of it, but after my previous bullet point something dawns on me.

==> I think it’s in the whole application, not just when inside a game.

please rollback the patch

5 Likes