I don't care about siege not having little men around

Lol m8, he obviously means the actual fire effects, not that icon… the mental gymnastics around here.

sfefesf

6 Likes

:sweat_smile: Ahh, thanks for clarifying and circling exactly what was meant to remove all questions; which the poster could’ve done, tbh. The assumptions and sass in here… :wink:

It does look bad that I didn’t notice that, but when I first viewed the image on a cell phone, it was a small thumbnail so was hard to see stuff, so I rolled with what I thought they were talking about. With my mind made up on what I wanted to ask, I jumped to my PC and grabbed the screenshots. (Hehe, from cell phone I thought those gold fires you circled were actually work crews :smiley: So, the poster has a point. I didn’t re-analyze the image when I was on PC because I didn’t know there was a need to… and, reasons.)

To further my confusion, I had made a previous post about not knowing what this campfire icon was on buildings:

…and wondering if there was correlation to this fire icon:

So my mind had those at the forefront, too, and I thought they were maybe talking about one of those fires. There’s more than one type of ‘fire’ in the game

Regardless, I have a feeling it’d be hard to confuse work crews with fires while actually playing the game, since work crews pop in and out of existence and are very brief and around siege units.

2 Likes

Its more so that your point isnt really true.

AoE III has siege operators. They dont make it look worse or harder to indentify the unit, in my opinion it makes it better because you can actually see when its reloaded most of the times.

Asking for siege operators doesnt mean asking for 10 man standing around the trebuchet, or the Nest of Bees reloading for 4 minutes were every individual slot is beingn filled with arrows.

AoE III usually only has 1 siege operator but gives siege so much more characater and visual feedback in my opinion, that I prefer having siege operators.

9 Likes

Here’s the thing though. Imagine with me for a moment that your son came home with his report card, in which he got an F in Geography. You might very reasonably ask him “Jimmy my boy, why did you get an F in Geography?”, to which he might respond in this manner - “But dad, Billy who got an A in Geography got an F in Calculus, in fact, countless kids who got A in Geography flunked Calculus, it would be nice to get an A in both, but it seems to me to be largely impossible”.

Well Darkness my lad, apple of my eye, that would sound reasonable to me if only it weren’t for your sister (let’s call her CoH) coming back from school 30 minutes before you did with straight As in her report card. So unless you too get straight As on the next semester I am going to paint your gaming computer blue and throw it into the ocean.

3 Likes

Sounds good to me! Unfortunately, I have zero control over what devs do with games :sweat_smile: There will always be game diamonds in the rough that get grade "A"s in everything

New Ethiopias siege unit has 4 operators and still looks/animates great. The reload animation it literally top tier.

6 Likes

We aren’t bound by the computational limits of pcs in 1998 anymore, so this arguments cant stand, therefore its no compromise here.
Also those that don’t want the crew back, are less then 10% of the fanbase, half of them being indifferent in fact, so 5% or less are really against.

1 Like

1- Some people don’t want siege weapons.

2- Some people whant no siege enginear whit the siege weapon.

3- Some people whant no siege enginear whit the siege weapon, but allow military units to use siege weapons.

4- Some people whant siege enginear to be esthetique.

5- Some people whant siege enginear to be animation of the siege weapon.

6- Some people whant siege enginear to be a separate unit from the siege weapon, creating a new class of suport units to the game, like the villager.

You can vote here if you whant to, has many has you like.

0 voters

But i will say that if we want the best revolutinary game ever, we need to chose 3 or/and 6. (My personnal opinion.)

1 Like

we all know that less the devs , unfortunately

the bug is so obvious that he could not difference the fire with the ghost LOL but seriously those ghosts ar enot just useless but annoying

1 Like

Man this is hilarious. :rofl:

No, not this at all. Nobody wants to remove siege completely. This thread is not about either of 3 or 6, and nobody apart from you is even bringing it up.

2 Likes

That’s not what the main complaint is. The concern is getting clunky, laggy, and laborious siege unit movement and control like AoE3 because you have to sit and watch little operators carry out their animations

On a small cell phone screen while looking at a screenshot, yep. In game on a monitor with graphics playing full speed, it’s not an issue. Not sure how anyone could mistake 0.5 seconds of siege unit ghosts flickers with an ongoing fluid building fire.

Are you worried that you’re going to try to accidentally draw a box around a building fire, thinking it’s a siege unit… or that the flickering ghosts for a microsecond on your siege unit is a fire? I highly doubt that will happen

1 Like

And all siege units in AOE4 need packing and unpacking now, only without the “little operators” (but has little ghosts!). How would it be different with and without the operator animations?

3 Likes

It’s traditional for AOE to have no manned siege.

It just is. Im not going to open AoE3 and do a side by side analysis. This thread just goes in circles. If you don’t think AoE2’s or AoE4’s siege units are more responsive and carry out their actions quicker than AoE3 because we don’t have to sit and wait with hand off of mouse for a group of operators to realistically carry out their business, than I dont know what to say.

I’m okay with a couple sieges having to pack/unpack. But if that animation of packing/unpacking slows down just because we have to watch little operators have beautiful, fluid animations, then that’s where it becomes an issue.

It’s just tighter, cleaner, quicker, more responsive controls when you dont have to worry about real world operator animations… if AoE3 is our point of comparison

Ghosts work because they’re quick. They can be accelerated to whatever quickness is needed for balance and gameplay reasons, without things looking weird. If a siege unit can unpack in 0.5 seconds with ghosts, I bet the same procedure would take like 1 second if we had to watch actual operators do it. And if you wanted to go quicker than 1 second, all the operators would start sliding around and jumping pixels… which I’d think would/should ruin the immersion for operator supporters

In AOE3 some artillery units are intentionally designed to have a long wind-up before the first attack.
It may surprise you but there are also quite a few artillery in AOE3 that switches very quickly from move to attack, and they all have operators. The operators are not the problem. You can make it “responsive” with or without operators. That’s no difference. The only difference is whether you intentionally design them to be responsive or not, just like there are some biiiiiiig men that took longer to shoot their arrows.

And I don’t know what is with all these “little men” description throughout this thread. Are they typically much smaller than other human units?

8 Likes

The responsiveness to aquire a new target is better in AOE3 than in AOE4, since some siege now has a limited cone to aim in so it has to pack up, turn and unpack again before engaging. Feels more like input lagg than an animation xD
It is just a bad system in every regard: Looks, feel, implied tactics. AOE2’s system of no pack/unpack would fit most siege in AOE4 much better.
AOE3 actually punishes you to drive siege out of position, AOE4 does not… firing/fleeing is always one wacky 0.5s ghost animation away. Just watch Drongo’s match where he only used siege (granted, not the brighest opponents (sorry Ornlu :sweat_smile:), still ridiculous).

5 Likes

I havent played very much of AoE4, and when I did (tech stress) I wasn’t paying a ton of attention to siege, to be honest, since I was still trying to learn the game… and the zoom level didn’t help me to feel on top of things. We can take AoE4 out of the equation, then, pending further analysis. AoE2:HD and AoE2:DE are the gold standard in terms of responsiveness and movement for me

4 Likes

They should not be firing off that fast anyways.

I literally had a game where I left a bombard cannon in an enemy base, and it just sat there for more than 10 minutes gunning down everyone who came near.

Nest of bees are basically a machine gun with very minimal reload time that completely annihilates all troops. The rapid fire rate needs to be toned down a lot.

Siege should have impact in the game, but not so much where people are spamming it to the extent that they just mass siege on people.

Like springalds. So many people just spam springalds because those things literally one shot units. And elephants get melted. It is meant to be an anti-siege weapon. Not anti-everything.

And by that regard, the towers are so squishy and weak. Towers can fire springalds, arrows or whatever and people don’t even need many men or siege to take them down.

The towers protect nothing because people just kill all the villagers and everything while tanking tower fire and still walk out with more than half health.

So what should be doing more damage is barely doing anything,

While you have all these machine gun siege firing at like 1000 rpm

Catapaults fire rocks into crowds and only hurt the enemy. That is far more ridiculous than any of these manned siege arguments. Imagine having rocks hurled at you and you walking out without a scratch. Totally normal.

2 Likes