I think I understand why people compain about portuguese

Well feitoria is just the Portuguese word for factory. “A factory could serve simultaneously as market, warehouse, customs, defense and support to navigation exploration, headquarters or de facto government of local communities.

Sure a little bit furter on the wiki page they mention it also being for trading like fur in North-America, but in context to the entire concept of a factory, it would make more sense and is better gameplay wise to have a town center bonus.

No but you said something along the line of Portuguese having barely anything to do with Portugal if I am not mistaken, so then I go past all Port bonusses to see if its true and as I see the town center bonus as their factories around the world, in my opinion it makes sense.

Wouldnt surprise me to be honest. And encomienda has a definition, so if the Portuguese did something similar, I dont mind it being called that. The Dutch have coffee trade, which as far as I am aware was not even in the top 5 of trade goods traded by the Dutch, could be wrong but still. Also coffee trade wasnt something just the Dutch did, so its not unique that naming is a bit odd in this game.

Organ guns were also used by the English (hence in aoe IV) so I would necessarily say it, but you could be right.

Perhaps in a historical way, although I am of the opinion that most of these problems can be fixed by a different name. I personally like the gimmick that Portuguese go for with the extra settler, free town center each age and the dynamic of Jinet/Organ gun

Please dont ignore that they were fortified trade posts.
St-George-castle-front

I do. Its Spanish not Portuguese.

Again if anything it should be forts that built military units. Portugal never had the demography to sustain its empire, being the slowest colonizer even with a 100 years headstart, making their bonus nonsensical.

Its a gimmick that in nothing represents how Portugal did things. Not to mentions their mercenaries:
Barbary Corsairs, their main enemy in the atlantic front, and mamelukes, their first great enemy in the East. Add Organ Guns, which at the very least should be Falconets, and make a proper unique unit that Portugal actually used.
Dragoons again is made up nonsense, while used they were nothing special, Portugal did not have the horses, quantity or quality for regiments.
Making Portugal a cav civ makes 0 sense.

They dont even have a unique ship. The guys that developed the Caravel, the square rigged caravel percursor of the galleon, and the carrack.

In the height of the Empire during Joao III reign (1521 until his death in 1557.)
They used halberds, arquebus, 2 handed broadswords, bombards, breach loading falconets extensively. Why make them a late game powerhouse when they were alrwady in decline and needed help from the british to stave off french invasion? It just shows the anglo saxon historic focus they have with Portugal.
They made the Mediterranean British, a frankenstein of a civ, with bonus and units that are english, italian and spanish and called it a day.

Wrong, it never was an italian units, italians were meant to have the lil bombard in the early deisgn, organ guns were always a ports thing, as much wrong it could be… Stop saying that organ guns were italians, they never were and never were used really by italians, if you want to give them to someone then give them to english, which used them, or french which loved them

No, there aren’t plenty of stories about milan using them, milan had some but were nearly never used and more used for show

Ports have no italian unit in their roster, what are you referring to?

In general stop spreading the BS that is that organ guns were italians arty, they never were and even Leonardo sketches were just something extremely hypothetical that never were made… Exactly like the tank, but eh, we got it as meme unit, or cheat unit

1 Like

Stop spreading the BS that Organ Guns were a Port thing.

Even if we ignore Leos drawings, they were used in the Italian Wars.
There are 0 mention of them being used by Portugal anywhere.

And if we take into account the early design of Ports with the Italian cathedral, you dont need to be a rocket scientist to connect the dots.

If this bothers you, just the mention that Organ Guns were Italian, imagine how much it bothers me that have to deal with this shit in 2 age of empires games.

2 Likes

There’s barely any evidence that Italians were supposed to use the lil’ bombard in their early design. The only evidence we have is the fact that they speak Italian in game.

There’s evidence of it’s use by Milan and other Italian states during the Italian Wars and there’s evidence of it’s use in the Battle of Ravenna. Not widely spread because Organ Guns weren’t widely spread weapons (kinda like Leather Cannons) but, unlike Ports, there’s actual evidence of it’s use in Italy.
Don’t believe me? Then take your complains to Mr. James H. Willbanks and Mr. George M. Chinn.
This is another interesting thing I found: if you go into the “Cut content” segment of the AoE wiki you’ll notice that none of the references mentions that the Lil’ Bombard (or hell, the Elmetto for that matter) were planned units for the Italians in AoE3. So, either the site moderators accidentaly erased the reference, the person who wrote it forgot to put the reference OR it’s all pure speculation. If it’s the latter, then affirming that the OG was likely to have started as a unique unit for the (then cut) Italian civ has nearly as much weight as affirming that the lil’ bombard was planned to be a unique unit for the Italians.

2 Likes

So in the end people barely complain about Portuguese due to the game balance, whether or not they are weak. They mostly complain about Portuguese because they feel historically inaccurate.

Or do people complain about historical accuracy due to the civ being weak, and are hoping that making the civ more accurate would result in some kind of buff ? Or would they be fine with a rework of Portuguese without buff (or nerf), so when they have a low ELO due to maining Portuguese, they will think “Well at least they are historically accurate now”.

I cannot imagine that Portuguese are the only civ that feel historically inaccurate, are people also complaining a lot about other civs filling historically inaccurate ?

India and Inca are also exceptionally inaccurate. And in the case of Inca, making them more accurate would basically fix all their many gameplay issues.

I feel like Portugal would of been an exact clone of Spain gameplay wise if they made it “historically accurate”

1 Like

Plenty of people complain about civs like Indians, Lakota and Germans for their inaccuracies. I’m happy that the developers addressed some of Ports inaccuracies (changing the RG names of Musks and Goons for a starter) and I don’t think they should completely change the civ. It’s just that I don’t believe ES gave their best shot while designing the civ (probably due to budget and/or time constraints) and the historical inaccuracies are a bit of a proof of that.

I don’t mean to offend, but look at my first comment on this thread and you’ll find some complaints that I made with Ports’ gameplay that don’t have anything to do with historical accuracy.

Install the “Wars of Liberty” mod in Legacy AoE3, play with Ports and imagine that, instead of using Organ Guns, you have a unit called Berço Cannoneer. You’d have a unique civ AND a pretty historically accurate one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breech-loading_swivel_gun#Use

1 Like

Not even close. Its absurd to think that.
Portugal used Forts and Fleets to establish a global trading empire using halberds, arquebus, bombards and heavy armored knights.

Spain famously used Tercos to great effect.

One issue does not invalidate the other.
It has issues both in gameplay, design and execution.

1 Like

You doesn’t seems to remember me, because i totally agreed with you once, i even suggested to make organ guns a merc to just give falconets to ports…
Never said the organ guns were ports thing, that is something that you made entirelly up in your mind, so please stop putting words in others mouths too…
It bother me both that organ guns are considered italian units, as much as people think they are ports ones…
What actually bother me is you people that don’t want the organ gun for ports, which is understandable and i totally agree on it, trying to push it on other civs that had nothing to do with it too… In this case italians, just make it a merc and be done with it, stop trying to throw it at other civs

General “Bombard Cannon” artillery units would have appeared, likely instead of Falconets and Mortars. These would later become the Li’l Bombard in The WarChiefs.

This was taken by the cut content page on the wiki, the same source you mention, but clearly didn’t read well

Elmeti as their Heavy Cavalry unit, replacing the generic unnamed Heavy Cavalry.

Also this regarding elmeti

1 Like

I didn’t say that, read it again. I said there’s nothing in the REFERENCES of the “Cut content” page that indicate that the Li’l Bombard or the Elmetto were supposed to be part of the Italians civ. So either they didn’t put them there, for whatever reason OR it’s all speculation.

I’ve read a lot of complaint topics about the Portugese on their historical representation.

Gameplay wise I mostly find them really boring and bland, I don’t know about their power balance since I don’t play competitively so I won’t comment on them regarding that.

If the extra town center are intended to represent their feitoria, it’s probably one of the better ways to represent that without creating an entire new building. Perhaps they could move a factory card one age up?
The extra explorer ability and the option to get an additional one seem pretty flavourfull as well. They are the first real explorers in this era after all.

I really wouldnt know what to do with the often complained about Organ Gun. But I do feel it’s unrealistic to expect it to be removed or replaced completely. I could be wrong ofc, but I don’t think it’s gonna go anywhere. A card changing them into a different unit like they did with the Longbows? Ive seen multiple suggestions for an alternate artillery piece.
Likewise their RG unit should’ve probably been the Halberdier instead of the Musketeer? Ive heard a lot about the Aventouros (spelling?). Theyd have the same RG units as the Dutch then, but they shouldve had musketeers really… but that’s another story. But again such drastic gameplay changes are extremely unlikely. Perhaps new Portugese cards could focus on their halberdiers, like giving them a charged pistol shot like the Trabants in age IV? A nice 15/15 stat boost card for em?
The lack of an unique naval unit is kinda weird I agree, but naval play is so rare I’d rather theyd not spend resources on a unique new naval unit. A card that increases caravel build limit and changes their name to “Carrack” instead, coupled perhaps with a stat boost should be enough?
A lot of people also complain that their main merc cards are their greatest foes in corsairs and mamelukes. Would their balance be completely destroyed if they were replaced with other mercs? Like Elmetti and Zouave or Armored Pistolier or something?

It’s just random ideas and thoughts, but an eventual Portugese rework will probably come in the form of new cards rather than a complete overhaul in their unit roster and play style. Just look at what the British and Spanish got and think in that direction is what I’d say. Perhaps new stuff available to Ports could come if they’d make Brazilians?

2 Likes

Which were armed with…arquebus, bombards and halberds. So yes they would be a clone of spain gameplay wise. Thanks for validating my opinion. Spain also used forts and fleets to establish a global trade empire. The famous spanish treasure fleets.

Like every european army of the time then. They all clones of each other following your logic. Lets just have one faction; Europeans of you want to be that pendantic.
It jusy shows your lack of knowledge.

Forts are different from treasure fleets.

One is on land the other is a boat.

Spanish at their heigh focused on Tercios with Pikes and Rodeleros and Arquebus.

Portugal on Heavily armored knights, with halberdiers and arquebus.

If you have trouble grasping simple differences like this, and keep insisting on this clone talk, i have no further discussion with you.

1 Like

While this could be true, it most definatly doesnt have to be, programmers use a lot of place holder shit whenever they can as they have to wait otherwise for the 3d artists to be done. So when you already have a model you use it to get an idea of the bigger picture.

People complaining ≠ it being true or justified.

The people complaining about Germans need to take a class in German history, as they clearly don’t know it or don’t know it well enough, which results in making themselves look like complete fools. And I am so tired of them as they keep coming with the same inaccurate crap.

Lol. You sure love to bark at a wall that has your shadow on it. All I said was Portugal would of probably been a clone of spain had it been designed with a more “historically accurate” aesthetic which would of made it a rush sword and shield civ like spain is. Which is probably why they went with the more Napoleonic approach with the civ with the organ gun being a unique random thing they decided to add. Let’s tone down your whole “european civ” rant and just say why not delete portugal and change spain to the Iberian Union. After all historically speaking most of aoe 3’s timeframe had Portugal being a mere spanish colony.

Hold up guys, we have a “history understander” here! Apparently 60 years in a union is the majority of the timeline of AoE3! God, are you a moron!

1 Like