I would like Ninjas to be available to the Japanese

And that is the exact reason why it is a bad idea.

4 Likes

?? Did you read only the last line of my post?

I said " It will require gold and quite an investment to even plan and prepare, as a Japanese player"

AND " there’s as many chances of a Ninja raid going wrong and being discovered than there is of successfully killing 10 villagers."

“Oh no I forgot I was facing the Japanese and now my economy is dead because I didn’t tower every resource pile” does not sound like it opens up a fun gameplay experience.

3 Likes

So what? Just with its mere existence, this Ninja would force the other player to play defensive just to avoid the risk of getting all his economy destroyed. This is plainly antifun.

2 Likes

Coming back to my proposal:

They should be produced from your TC!
When you produce 3 Ninjas you are 3 villagers and some resources and work time behind

So you would need to kill a handful of enemy villagers soon just to make them worthwhile.

If the Ninjas fail their mission -> you are screwed.
High risk and reward for both players

Then that would make the whole idea unappealing. With your idea, 3 Ninjas would need to kill more than 3 Villagers to make up for the loss of Villagers + all the extra work time. Even if it could work in theory, pulling it against a player that is already on the defensive just to avoid Ninja raids brings the whole thing to impossible levels of completion. Better pull out 3 Knights instead, it is way more reliable.

Besides balance, Ninjas (or rather, Shinobis) were primarily spies, not super-elite killers, so
 Historical accuracy?

→ it makes the idea fun instead of OP / annoying

Just as people enjoy flamming camels to be part of the game!

There were a unit in AoE1 if I’m mistaken that were an archer that when it wasn’t attacking (or moving I don’t remember) it have the appearance of a tree.

It would be more of a meme unit, but something like this I think it could be cool.

I have super cool idea they will produce warning BUT they must be in range of watch tower or outpost or castle if u want :slight_smile:

Yes, basically my idea, ain’t it, but no need to make a simple idea (of No warnign and attack sound) more complicated

Although this is maybe more agreeable to the few stauch opposers of the original “Ninjas No Warning” idea

I dont like the no alarm sound. But maybe it can still be notified in the minimap, without the sound. I still dont know what to think about that.

After building a second or third tc is not a big deal

It would destroy diplo and king of the hill because you are focusd by not one player and you cant constantly watch your woodlines and do the japanese really need a buff and new players would get reckt by them

Why are you trying to make an OP unit?

If you are going to add it, you should consider these features.

1.It should be expensive because they are elite agents.
2.It should only be builded limited times similar to aoe3 and aom (like 5 or 10 unit limit).
3.If you are going to give it stealth elements its ok but, If its going to be invisible make it detecteble by specific units and buildings, like other ninjas, towers, outposts, castles, TC’s etc.,
4.It should have alarm sound, without it it makes them too op.
5.Make them charged units similar to monks but give them huge attack but only work on military units.
6.Huge LOS would make them excellent spying units.
7.Very low stats but fast speed similar to eagle scouts. Also, make it weak to archers and defensive structures.
8.Something like sabotage ability could be good but it could make it harder to balance.

Roughly 3, one each. Which might be hard to do say in early feudal age, but in a full on castle age war, with a unit that does not cause alarm sounds and does not show up on the minimap? That’s ridiculously easy. Remember, villagers do not attack automatically. I have seen pro games where a single hussar just got lost in the madness and took out close to 30 villagers. For a stealth unit that would be easy. And there is no counterplay, there is nothing you can do against someone using this unit, except completely change up the way you play the game by not making use of not one but two of its most important quality of life features, clicking around the map like a maniac. And you have to learn this super annoying way to play to counter a single civilization. It would be completely tilting. It’s a troll tactic. And we wouldn’t all just have to start playing this way as soon as ninja’s come out, no, we have to do it as soon as they could be coming out. It’s like if my civilization had a little button I could press that costs me 50 gold but would cancel every unit you had queued using multi-queue and every command you had issued using a hotkey, so you had to play without those features just in case I ever decide to press that button. It also increases the advantage of people with larger and better monitors, because they can play zoomed out further.

Sorry, hard pass for me. Big nope. That’s where I draw the line.

I was never a big fan of the stealth units in Galactic Battlegrounds, but at least they offered in game counter options. And the game was more swingy in general, where having the right counter ones could let you completely destroy the enemy, so the concept fit the game better. And it wasn’t restricted to one civ. Usually only one civ getting something annoying makes these sort of things better, here it somehow makes it worse. (Also they were regularly visible as soon as they attacked.)

The stereotypical Ninjas are mostly a Hollywood and Japanese movie thing, the actual ninjas were mostly just regular spies (they rarely were assassins) and dressed in regular clothes (you know, because spies need to blend in)
Also literally every civilization in history had spies, so if they added them they shouldn’t be exclusive to the Japanese.
I know the game is already filled with historical innacuracies, but we shouldn’t go out of our way to add more lol.

2 Likes

We need Hashashin units in the editor.

Best disguise would be as a merchant even if you are different ethnically.

Such units should be left to scenarios only. In scenarios you can make all your crazy units you wish. In a scenario you can even train them by the use of triggers.

2 Likes

22:22 This game had “Ninja” that could once stealth kill with 1 hit and turn invisible for a short period of time when not fighting.
Still was a balanced unit due to low HP and low damage output in general.

1 Like

In fact there is a mod por Conquerors that has the same assasin mechanic. I can’t remember the name right now