Idea to nerf quick walling

just play on voobly if you don’t want DE changes lol

new palisade wall is nerfed i like it

1. Take the idea from aoeiii, let building foundation receive 4x as much damage.

2. Make the construction process adding HP more steeply (quadratically for instance) instead of linearly. For example, 50% of the construction process only grant 25% of HP. This way the early stage of the construction the HP is low enough to be beaten easily by units.

4 Likes

Voobly is dead… RIP

I like the idea i would go even further, change that units can walk trough foundations until 50% of the building is built, so villagers stop building if a unit stands there when it reaches 50%. I would really like to see pros adapt to this new play style. it would be more realistic and more fun, couse quick walling is just APM measure of players. This would be really interesting.

Pros will adapt quickly whatever you throw at them… i would make fundations walkable unitl 50%

What happens if units are inside a foundation when it hits 50%?

2 Likes

they stop building until units clear of that space

And you don’t see how this could be problematic?

All I have to do is move a single unit into a being built foundation and it doesn’t finish going up.

Forward castle delayed by a single skirmisher.

Opponenr rushes you and you try to build a barracks to get spears? Denied.

2 Likes

well, you should plan ahead… or build under protection or attack that 1 skirmisher with you vills if you forgot to build defense… scout better nexttime :smiley:

Pros would figure it out somehow. would be more interesting…
Imagine people try to biuld a building and enemy would be standing in the building site fighting them ? how would that go?

PROTECT YOU builders! :stuck_out_tongue:

and idea of forward building castles is usefull in game but its such a idiotic idea IRL :smiley: like they wouldnt notice…

And they would have to remove units just to pass that 50% then no units would be able to enter

Or get this. Unirs shouldn’t be able to move onto foundations. It’s pretty much a staple of every rts game there is

1 Like

but it is simply a logic from 2000 video game industry… now they can do better. And i rly hoped over time games will get better… still I struggle to find great progress in strategy games.

Even post 2000s games adhere to the same principle. Its good as is. Walling has already been nerfed heavily.

3 Likes

it was nerferd couse ppl hate quickwalling. and i have a better solution and a logical one

It’s completely not logical. Moving onto occupied space isn’t logical at all

2 Likes

how is it occupied? did vills summon 500 bricks and 700 logs instantaneously from thin air 30 meters away from them.? :stuck_out_tongue:
Tell me how is it occupied?

I want to repeat a point that MatCauther says regarding your design:
It’s not just about defending the builder. It’s also about defending building FOUNDATION, which is a drastic mechanic change and bump up micro unnecessarily. Denying construction becomes almost effortless. Just spilt micro a bunch of knights and suddenly defender’s attempt to add more production is no longer possible. Forward building can also be denied much easier. All because you want the foundation to be walkable until it hits 50% of HP or progress.
Quickwalling was nerfed because the effort of pulling out among top players is relatively little compared to attacker trying to attack and kill vils. Whatever this walkable foundation thing would be implemented into game, it will get nerfed as well, cause it gives untold advantage to attacker.

how would it bump up micro? hmm, you would actually wall vills and your base even in pro play. not just place foundations and then right away delete them to get resources back… Look what viper does. in last games i never see him wall his base, couse he is so fast with quickwalling that he himself says its not a problem. that is how he saves resources. And by not walling he should be exposed to raids. It’s just my oppinion that it would be more fun

and about protecting foundation you should read my comment before:
"well, you should plan ahead… or build under protection or attack that 1 skirmisher with you vills if you forgot to build defense… scout better nexttime :smiley:

Pros would figure it out somehow. would be more interesting…
Imagine people try to biuld a building and enemy would be standing in the building site fighting them ? how would that go?

PROTECT YOU builders! "

1 Like

That’s the point, quickvalling is very micro intensive + needs a lot of map awareness, too.
So a nerf to quickwall would lead to even more walling which would lead to wall nerfs …
The circle closes.

As vills are the by far most important units in the game and losing vills early leads usually to a fast defeat, it is crucial to protect the vills. As you want to damage the enemy eco with your military because just defending can only “safe” you but not lead to a victory, your eco is most of the time unprotected and walls and buildings are actually the only protection you have available.

If we take this away the game just becomes a complete raiding party. And this is extremely boring and annoying at the same time. I like to have good army comps fighting each other and the player who manages this better has then the opportunity to break the base and raid. This is what makes AOE so intersting. What is interesting about every game going full archers in the enemy eco and whoever manages to kill all gold miners earlier wins?
I don’t see why this great game should become a complete raiding feast. Of course raiding is an important part of the game, but as such is defending against raids AND the open field battles which decide who has the military advantage and can use it to raid the opponent. Quickwalling and walling makes the game so more interesting because it enables so many intersting aspects of the game.

I know that many players in mid elo just learned how to damage the enemy eco and how important it is. But after that you need to learn also how to defend against that. That’s what makes it interesting and a two-sided game. Whoever is better in the combined two aspects should win the game (or have at least great advantages). Not that guy who just got the better early agression civ and threw all raiding units at you before you even got the chance to field any own army.

And tehre are a lot of civs which already have no or almost no eco bonusses. They are doomed without any defensive mechanic, they need to stand the first attack waves and comeback somehow. And atm these lategame civs are actually the worst civs in the game. So everybody who says that walling or quickwalling would be OP is shown wrong. Because if it was so, these defensive lategame civs would be on top of the ladder and not on bottom.

2 Likes