I'm having Deja Vu from AOE: Definitive Edition

uhhh what? I ran matches fine and I certainly don’t have 300+ card… and HD perfectly fine? what? pros,streamers, people on this forum…all pretty consistent that HD was buggy and didn’t run well.

2 Likes

Didnt say mechanics, meant performance wise, ran at 60+ frames a second no issues. Why not just fix the core game mechanics and add new features.

Some people assume that since Xeon processors are found in high-end workstations and servers they must also be better for gaming. That is definitely not true, because computer games don’t need a lot of cores or the other various advantages that Xeons bring to the table. As of the time I am writing this, no games use more than four cores - and many use less. What games are sensitive to, though, is clock speed… and as I mentioned earlier when you increase the number of cores you usually reduce the clock speed. So getting an 18-core Xeon for gaming would actually result in much lower performance than a cheaper, higher clock speed 4-core processor. Some argument can be made for a 6-core CPU for gaming (future-proofing, lots of background applications running at the same time, etc) but that can be fulfilled within the Core i7 line, without needing to go for a Xeon.

Quick google search.

3 Likes

Yet there are people who have low framerate with a 9900K. We frankly have no clue why or how.

The GPU is of little concern. I have tested the game on a GTX 1050Ti, a GTX 1060 and a GTX 1070. I tested on low graphics and high graphics, including the ultra graphics pack. made no difference. Pulling up msi afterburner monitoring, you’ll find the gpu is barely being put to work. Atleast on 1080p. You should atleast be able to run on low graphics with an APU.

Listen, I am well aware a workstation is not meant for gaming, that’s why i bought a better end gpu at the time. I didn’t buy this to play video games, i use it for work and occasional gaming. I can run every other game i’ve played (fortnite, division 2) all on high settings no problem. This is the only game I have issues with, mainly because its probably poorly optimized. That’s the only point i was trying to make is more time and energy could of went into the game before releasing it.

Age of Empires : Definitive Editon was the same way at release, then mysteriously a year later it ran smooth as butter.

2 Likes

But this again being nitpicky. Yes, it is true this is basically a single core game. But, the reality is that the game is often unable to extract the potential performance of said core. Again, people in beta have proven this!

Strategy games are much more demanding on CPU then GPU, while shooter are mainly GPU-intensive. You are using a 1.6Ghz CPU while the game recommends a 2.4Ghz one, that’s why you’re having problems.
And while there may be optimization problems that will need to be worked on, it’s unrealistic to expect a game to come out with perfect performances.

1 Like

ppl with 4GHz quads are having issues :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have to agree here. 1.6Ghz does seem too low. He could try to overclock it though.

My computer hands modern games fine, probably because they are capable of multi-threading, but there are far more issues going on here than the CPU becaue its only using aboy 26%. This game was nowhere near ready for release and the developers knew that. But due to money and time restraints they released it anyways. By the time they fix what should have been addressed in beta, they game will have died and AGE IV buzz will be on the rise.

There is way more to the performance of a CPU than just clock rate.
The problem with Age2DE is that it doesn’t scale well with CPUs that put the emphasis on different aspects.

Seems to be like 3 people online I can play with, is there something screwy with going from a beta game to a bought install? I uninstalled the beta game off steam and reinstalled it. I was looking forward to a really busy evening of DE

I can’t play the game. The game keeps crashes on loading screen. Really frustating!

I have a decent PC. 12 GB ram, GTX 1060 6GB graphics card, i7 CPU x 900 @ 3.4 Ghz, Direct X 12

1 Like

yea thats absolutely ridiculous, especially for a 2d game. What a joke.

People had many of these issues in the beta months ago from what I saw from old posts, yet they refused to even comment on the idea of delaying it to make sure it launched in a better state.
I’m fine with playing without the enhanced graphics, without it my multiplayer games run just fine, but of course that doesn’t matter because when I do get in a game I dc from it.
Also, I dunno if there are any issues with any specific region servers, because I don’t see a single host from EU and when I host noone joins me. It’s weird.

Either way, I’ll probably enjoy playing through the campaigns, so I don’t regret buying it, but it’s a little bit sad the devs are either completely ignoring us, or perhaps it’s Microsoft pushing them to do things they know won’t work, and therefore they don’t feel like they can say anything to make it better. Whichever it is I think delaying the game would have been the best course of action.

I don’t care who’s responsible for this mess(you may say I’m overreacting too early, but these issues were very apparent in the beta before this launch so clearly, they’ve chosen to ignore them) but just make sure you make it up to the customers, or else you’re gonna harm the franchise’s rep, meaning it’ll come back to haunt you when you launch AoE 4 too.

4 Likes

they aren’t ignoring them they are working on it. The problem people keep going to with multi threading is because its off the games old engine and its not an easy fix. They’ve been making improvements.

It’s too late to work on it, the game is out. People already bought it, and people already had bad experiences with it, and won’t forgive it.

They should’ve delayed it and worked on these things during the beta, had an open beta with frequent dev updates etc instead of launching it like this.

2 Likes

Well they only have two ways to solve it: Optimization or remaking the engine. Both takes time. For most people the best bet will be to wait a few weeks for texture pack mods to pop up and and use less demanding textures.

Yup, remaking the engine should’ve been the original plan.

that was never the plan and shouldn’t have been the plan. Changing the engine will change a lot about the game and people wanted it still AOE2 at its core. They wanted to deliver on that so they didn’t touch the engine.

3 Likes