I'm out. gla with half done game devs

You are so focused on trying to get on top you don’t stop to think what I’m actually trying to say. Please I don’t want you to waste more time on this, it’s getting nowhere…

3 Likes

Well, the reality is, it was not false advertisement.

I think you’ve singlehandedly made majority of the forms dislike you from this thread😅

Dude just leave it, who cares about semantics, the game is unfinished, end of story.

4 Likes

They’ve just created the new folder for next patch.

I don’t remember any single relic game that has nice balance, DOW was great until dark crusade, company of heroes was great until first expansion, dow2 super imbalanced, coh2 was balanced by the community at the end now the game is pretty balanced…

1 Like

Good way to say “opinions that disagree with mine are wrong”. Which isn’t how opinions work, but okay :sweat_smile:

It’s more like that dude is obviously trolling, the majority of us, even players who enjoy the game, can tell that this game isn’t what was promised by the developers based on their comments and actual game footage used in trailers.

It’s semantics because we are promised a finished, working game upon release, which clearly hasn’t happened.

5 Likes

Eh, I find that arguable. Obviously there’s a lot of AoE-specific stuff (that isn’t necessarily RTS-specific) that fans want, and isn’t ready yet. “finished” is hard to track. Is it finished without custom hotkeys, even if I personally don’t care? Is it finished without modding support, even if other people don’t really care. Is it finished without custom team colours, etc.

There are a lot of important things people want, and it’s easy to say “don’t release the game until everything everybody wants is in it”, but that’s just not how the economics of making game works.

My advice is to not assume people are trolling just because they disagree. Even if two people disagree a lot, it just means you’re different people trying to get different things out of the same game. If you get the impression someone’s not engaging with you fairly, just flag the post. It’s what I do.

3 Likes

Dude… let the devs have a break.

Yeah, I’d like to have a lot of things fixed and balanced, but they are humans who just released a big project, probably worked 10-12h or more per day, in the weeks before release (I’m not aware of Relic work practices, tho, so note that this number is just a guess).

Let them have their holidays, spend time with their family, travel or what not.

They are back now, I hope they have rested well and that we can properly talk to them in a more intensive and day-to-day basis.

Besides, there’s probably some things they are ironing out before adressing some issues. This is probably due to the principle of finishing whathever change of bug fix they were tinkering with before adding more lines of code that could turn into new bugs and exploits.

Have patience, my fellow players. Classic RTS games are more than decades old and there’s always something new to be done. I don’t suppose AoE IV to be different, and that’s not, in principle, the devs fault.

4 Likes

Unless people have missed it they announced yesterday that an update is coming as well a patch is in the near window.

1 Like

I wouldn’t work over holidays for people like OP either ^^

2 Likes

I think greyed out buttons for missing content they felt the need to tell people before hand about, is a pretty good hint about what the plans for the game were, before they had to cut edges.

Editor, Ranked, most bugs fixed and some rts standard QoL standards would make this a more or less polished release imo. Balancing the game would be easier and probably faster without all the gameplay bugs, so I wouldn’t count the current state then negative.

However, reading about relics history in balancing their games here gets me bit concerned about the time after they reach this state.

4 Likes

The game is objectively not feature complete because it explicitly stated ranked and modding support as a feature coming for a later date.

The rest is indeed arguable since it was never stated to be implemented, we only trust the devs to do so.

Also, many factions like the Delhi not working as intended because of bugs and oversights is another reason this game is objectively unfinished as it lacks polish.

But this a byproduct of a bad decision. Deadlines cannot be met because deadlines couldn’t be met before — yet they released it anyway.

I’m with you that shouting doesn’t get us anywhere - I just hope that Relic can salvage as much goodwill as possible from this point on with players who are leaving the game. Nobody wants AoE4 to stabilize at a low playerbase and we end up back to 2014 levels of investment in AoE in general.

1 Like

Yes, I completely agree with you here. There’s blame to be given at the management higher up to set unrealistic deadlines, the game was simply not really ready yet for launch and they should have delayed by a couple of months (probably very conservative even). While I am hopeful they will fix the game eventually, this kind of launch is definitely hurting the game and therefore the franchise. In my native language we say that trust comes by foot and leaves by horse, meaning it’s much easier to lose trust and confidence than it is to gain it. We can’t just assume all people who drop off now will suddenly come back when it’s fixed, that will be a long and difficult process. I think sentiment would have been much more positive if they would have waited until spring or so to release the game. I do however want to note that this frustration should be directed towards the publishers who set the deadlines and not Relic themselves. Relic is contractually obligated to finish a product by a set date, but a joint decision should absolutely have been made to delay the game for the good of the game and franchise in general.

Especially given the state of the genre of RTS, poor performance of this game (sale/hypewise) will probably have trickle-down-effects in the long term. In the worst case there’s a real danger that investment will be back to the levels of the early 2010’s. I absolutely agree that we need communication and a patch rather sooner than later.

1 Like

I hope all these toxic people stop playing and go to their games and let us play and with “monthly” patches.

4 Likes

Having a roadmap for future additions is not the same as the product being feature-complete for release. Otherwise any game with any form of DLC is, retroactively, never considered feature-complete.

That said, if this is indeed the general opinion you hold, then that’s perfectly consistent and I respect that.

Polish is more of those “how long is a piece of string” things. Games have always needed polish. Games have always had bugs. Even in “the good old days” (as people often mention). You won’t see me saying the game doesn’t need it, but that would basically mean no game in the history of games development was ever finished on release.

Except these things were part of the product description on the shop page way before any roadmap was announced. When you purchased AOE4 you were also paying for these features.

That is why it is objectively missing, not in my opinion.

1 Like

Actually the game is in fantastic state!

If you wanna play online you have choose betwenn spam brandead mongol and russian horse archer.

And if unfortunately you finaly win your opponent prefer to Desynch exploit for don’t have his elo drop…

it’s fantastic ! If you wanna play and win you have to choose between cancer and cholera!

Good job in 10 years of vidéos game i NEVER see that. Cyberpunk2077 was better on the launch.

2 Likes

So do you have anything better to do? I feel you are trolling this community with all these low effort topics… Good to see this is your last one tho.

Seeya!

2 Likes