⚠ IMPORTANT ⚠ Stuck on AoE:DE Build 27674? Upgrade to the latest client! (Windows Store)

Yes my bad for not stating rebooting my router etc is one of the first things I do when something internet related is not working, still rebooted it again and no difference, except windows has updated 1909, AoE DE giving the same error code after showing as download starting for a brief period but no usual data size or speed info showing.

PS its the same on both my Alienware laptop and my surface book

How lucky you are. :clown_face: :wink:

I would advice you to buy lottery tickets asap. Now more seriously.

Usually I would follow all the steps mentioned in the accepted answer here.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-app-stuck-at-starting-download/329ed037-7515-46a3-bdb6-e853ef5fcaf9

But sometimes it’s just related to a bloated user profile. Do you sign in on your devices using a local user account or a MS connected online user account?

My windows sign in is my microsoft online account, and bloated profile sounds plausible, I have xbox game pass ultimate and maybe 750 owned items tied to the account

In windows store My library all owned and ready to install lists will no longer populate

Okay. I would enable the built-in administrator account or just create a new local admin user account.
Follow these steps to create a fresh local user account. After that you can use this profile to delete other user accounts and clean-up your C:\Users folder from any leftovers. After that you can use settings to add your MS account again as other user, change it to be administrator and you should be fine again. It’s a lot of work. Other thing also you could try is clearing your C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder. Just let me know if you want to try that one first.

1. Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Family and other users and click on ‘Add someone else to this pc’.

2. Click add a user without a Microsoft account.

3. Give the new account a name and fill in the secret questions (store safely including password).

4. Finally change account type to administrator.

Thanks for the advice PCS70, however I have had to leave feedback with Microsoft as everything currently indicates the latest version 11911.1001.9.0 of Microsoft Store is broken.

I signed into my wifes surface pro which cannot possibly have a bloated local profile on my microsoft account and my library lists populated normally untill the store updated, initially I thought ok local profile issue but immediately after updating the store all owned and ready to install lists refused to populate there as well.

This was after having performed a dirty recovery on the alienware which really should not have a bloated local profile either, it is only 6 months old and has not been hammered, then I removed the store and reinstalled it all to no avail.

Whether that issue with my library lists not populating correctly is related to the issues I am having downloading from the Microsoft Store, of which a very small selection of games is affected all of which show different error codes and fail in a different manner like AoE DE, whereas the vast majority download and/or update without issues remains to be seen but I am apprehensive to spend time trying to fix something my end when there is a distinct possibility the issue lies beyond my control.

Also if there is a common issue within the windows OS relating to aged user profiles the OS should really include a tool that will repair such profile damage in order to make it a product of satisfactory quality.

I agree fully with all you mention here. In any case all those issues should not appear.

At the moment I also experience a problem with MS store in the library ready to install section. So I performed the usual get updates and some Xbox things were updated. Yet I expected the update for AOE DE. Checked for MS store updates again, still nothing. Went to ready to install, gives some famous kind of error message. So I went to my library and clicked AOE DE. At that moment the download arrow appeared right on top of MS store. Click that one and had to click some button again. Finally updating to latest release.

Iv only managed to install the old version so far from my ready to install list when it has an occasion to let me view a very small portion of my owned and not installed software, trying to update to the new version does not come up with the ‘get updates’, it has a different game ID. Following the prompt in game to update takes you to the games store web page which then launches the store app to the games new version page only to result in the same error.

It is falling down on aquiring the license for the new version.

Somehow my problem with MS store got solved after an Windows update. Also the update to 1909 is offered at the moment. If you were able install (restore) the old version that is good news already.

I think the best you can try is using the media creation tool and perform an in-place upgrade to 1909 version. This might fix the problems you experience at the moment.

Upgrade your Windows to 1909 from that new local administrator account.

Here you can download the media creation tool.
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

Im already running 1909, windows update has no issue, its the store that developed issues after updating to the version previously stated.

Messing around with accounts is a non starter, not all games run cloud saves and microsoft has them locked down god knows where so we cannot back them up.

As I know the microsoft store only develops these issues after updating I will not break anything else when the issue is almost certainly in the store itself.

More are being affected by this issue Can't download the game

It wont get fixed until pressure is applied on microsoft by the developer

Of course and it’s not the first time that MS store messes things up.

But it certainly can help to test using another clean user local administrator account. Or as I suspect reading solution below it could also be related to certain changed registered windows application default settings. So you could also try to change them back to default apps configuration and reboot and test it again.

I have read somewhere about similar problem like this and the thread you linked which was solved in this way.

1: Use your current Admin account (mine was local) to create a new local account with Admin privileges.

2: Logg out of your current Account and into the new account with Admin privileges. You will se Win10 setting up the account for the first time. As you get logged in, wait a minute or two, as this was the point where I got the message that some apps have gotten their settings reset.

3: After I got the message I went to the store using the new Account and downloaded a free software just to verify that it was Win Store that was reset, and indeed it was. I got no Issues.

4: Logged out and back into my old Admin account to see if it was solved and it was.

Not sure if this solves your problem, but I hope it does!

Nope only difference after that was ‘owned titles’ populates a single scrolls worth then hangs,

Even tried signing in on the clean admin account with ms account as thinking about it you can reassign it back to the previous user anyway after unlinking as long as the pc user was not deleted.

Issue remains with the same error, furthermore AoE II DE via game pass ultimate also fails to aquire the license, symptoms identical including error code

It worked for me formating my PC and installing the game on another disk, different from where it’s installed before. Before was HDD and now it’s SSD. I was having problem in both of them before formating.

I don’t understand why people are going into the extremes of messing with user accounts and complete formats or executing exotic experimental scripts. This shouldn’t be required and I don’t think it is.

If you’re having trouble with the game update/install and the solutions offered on the FAQ were not sufficient, then try reinstalling the Microsoft Store through the following steps.

I didn’t come up with this solution. It was listed in the official Microsoft Help procedures for troubleshooting with the Store.

As you can see from my previous posts HelepolisAoE a manual reinstallation of the store failed to address the issue, as did and in place upgrade performed by a microsoft tech with remote access.

I dont understand why this issue which is affecting a lot of xbox pc game pass users and is impacting on owned titles aswell as game pass titles has gone unadressed for so long and is being completely ignored by both Microsoft and the various publishers it is affecting, even a more recent store update has not adressed this issue.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/cannot-download-gamepass-pc-games-through-xbox/ad93c5fa-f57d-4a80-8b54-0607b4e48aeb?page=23

How Do I update AOE.DE, the microsoft store wont show an update. I have the lastest windows 10 update.

1 Like

Hi @Maxisfister, Please see this topic for instructions: Upgrading to the latest Age of Empires: Definitive Edition (Windows Store)

1 Like

Please make sure, you really have the latest Windows 10 update. Click Start > type “winver” > hit Enter.

If it doesn’t say version 1903, please download the Windows 10 Update Tool and update to version 1903 manually. URL: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If your Windows 10 is already up to date, you should consider a clean installation of the game. In that case uninstall the game, reboot and re-install it. That should solve your issue. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not working for me. Have latest windows 10 and did a fresh installing from store. Still version 27374.

Just to check, have you downloaded the new client for the game? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/age-of-empires-definitive-edition/9njwtjsvgvlj?CustomerIntent=Consumer&activetab=pivot%3Aoverviewtab

1 Like