Improvements (after playing the beta version)

I played the beta of age of empires DE, the game is very good, but I think it still needs some improvements, mentioned below:

1. A menu showing how many villagers are exploring each type of resource;

2. The Villagers and the fishing boats get idle very easily, this is bad. At all times you need to divert your attention from some important fact that is happening.

3. Need to fix the movement of the units. They get stuck often and choose a strange path.

4. In the search for upgrades, we could choose several technologies simultaneously, leaving them in queues. And do not choose one, expect to finish the upgrade, and then have to re-select the building and search for another technology.

5. The same thing with military units, we could choose several types of units in the same building, queuing them up and not just building one type of unit.

These are the main improvements, which would make the game much more dynamic, fluid and with more focus on the battles.

As it stands today, there is a great loss of time with idle villgaers and boats, stuck military units, upgrades and so on.

I forgot one more thing:

1. Attack move should be the default. So you dont need click “A” to do that.
  1. I agree this would be a great quality of life feature to be added at a future date.
  2. Are you talking about villagers who go idle after they have been commanded to harvest a resource and still have the resource left or are you talking about villagers who go idle after resources have been exhausted?
  3. Improved pathing is on the roadmap.
  4. This would be a good quality of life feature. However, one thing to keep in mind is that if you have multiple buildings of the same type with technologies to research, each one can be used to research a different technology at the same time.
  5. There are some who may feel that being only able to train one type of unit from a production building at a time is a core characteristic of the original game. Again if you have multiple production buildings of the same type you can queue up a different unit for each production building.
  6. I don’t use attack move so I have no helpful insight or opinions to share.

Hermcules,

Thanks for tour reply.

1. Im talking about villagers who go idle after they have been commanded to harvest a resource and still have the resource left. Example: when you select a group of villagers to cut trees, sometimes, one or two, go and stay idle.

2. Good News. This is the most important improvement.

3. Yeah, but you dont need to build two or more markets and government center.

i rly want farm reseeding to be added.

@Hum Do you have beta forum access? Please report your idle villager issue there. If you need beta forum access send @jennywaboom a private message.

lag seems to be severe, once i played with only EU and units moved so incredibly fast, meaning how slowly they normally are on fast speed, but with US or ASIA in game with reasonable 250 pings.

I don’t really like the idea of attack move being default. Maneuvering troops around during a battle is important, and it would be somewhat annoying if instead of my archers moving to their flank, they get locked in battle every time I try and give them orders, ya know?

@Hermcules said:
@Hum Do you have beta forum access? Please report your idle villager issue there. If you need beta forum access send @jennywaboom a private message.

Thanks Hermcules, i will send a message to @jennywaboom.

@“TRIX Inferno” said:
I don’t really like the idea of attack move being default. Maneuvering troops around during a battle is important, and it would be somewhat annoying if instead of my archers moving to their flank, they get locked in battle every time I try and give them orders, ya know?

Yeah, its ok. No problem with attack move not being deafault. The most important thing is to improve the pathfinding, and its already on the roadmap.

@CreasingHarp83 said:
lag seems to be severe, once i played with only EU and units moved so incredibly fast, meaning how slowly they normally are on fast speed, but with US or ASIA in game with reasonable 250 pings.

I also noticed a large lag. In age of empires 3 this does not usually happen, even playing with players from different continents.

good topic. i agree with first post, tho i want to add a couple of things to the list.

i would like to have a timer on screen. its good to know if your late or not for… like training first axeman, or having 6 farms on some exact time.

also i would really appreciate if we can perform multiple commands each after another. for example, commanding a villager to build a house and then shift clicking him to gather wood. this can prevent havin idle villagers and be more efficient. second example, click moving your army somewhere on map and then shift+A(attack move) so you dont have to watch and control your army whole time meanwhile forgetting macro management of towns. these things may seem not important, but acctually they are very important if you want to play more professionally.

also ofcourse, pathing needs real deal improvement. units get stuck too often.

@Hum said:
I forgot one more thing:

• Attack move should be the default. So you dont need click “A” to do that.

I respectfully disagree, it would make positioning a nightmare.
Number 3 in your list, pathfinding, is the most urgent thing to be solved. It’s really bad. The rest in the list are meh…

Thank you for re making this great game from our childhood. As a historian that is deeply focused on antiquity, I must say that as a company that is creating games that focus on certain eras, it would be quite good for enabling some faction to have access to certain units with even greater restrictions or permissions. For example: Assyrians aren’t allowed to have access to scythe chariots even they are mostly famous for using such weapons during the Late Assyrian Kingdom. Sumerians have access to elephants and cavalry which is absurd. Also since there is no chance of unit diversity which is a shame, please take this as a friendly suggestion to make some of those factions even more tied up with real history. Most of the factions either share similarities in units or are completely out of what history was in reality: Phoenicians were never shown as aggressive empire but rather commercial and innovative ( they never had elephants though ) also most of the “Fertile Crescent” civilizations didn’t know about siege engines. East Asia civilization fought mostly on mainland while their navy was rather more dominant during medieval times even though there are cases of advanced Chinese warships but, those never showed up as true potential dominance at the sea. This list may go on but my point is to contribute to this game even if we must sometimes say things such as these.

I don’t really want #1 because I feel like managing your villagers well without that much of a handicap is important for developing skill. But for the others, namely #4 and #5, I think those are good quality of life changes

I really dont like the water in ponds with all the wave action that makes no sense

@Hum said:
I forgot one more thing:

1. Attack move should be the default. So you dont need click “A” to do that.

No, because if I wanna move my units into enemy base but without triggering the attack, just walking right outside his base, then the default attack move wouldn’t let me do that. Got it?

It only takes a hot key to press before right click to attack move. They need to strike a balance of aggressiveness. Some people want defence stance to be default. Who’s right? You can’t please everyone lol

An option could be useful to set default stance I guess.

@Hermcules said:

• I agree this would be a great quality of life feature to be added at a future date.
  • Are you talking about villagers who go idle after they have been commanded to harvest a resource and still have the resource left or are you talking about villagers who go idle after resources have been exhausted?
  • Improved pathing is on the roadmap.
  • This would be a good quality of life feature. However, one thing to keep in mind is that if you have multiple buildings of the same type with technologies to research, each one can be used to research a different technology at the same time.
  • There are some who may feel that being only able to train one type of unit from a production building at a time is a core characteristic of the original game. Again if you have multiple production buildings of the same type you can queue up a different unit for each production building.
  • I don’t use attack move so I have no helpful insight or opinions to share.

I agree with this. There are obvious improvements that need to made, and I REALLY REALLY hope they put the work in to make this happen. I think when you hear of a remastered game, obviously the “core” of the game needs to be there, but there should be obvious changes especially when there are other AOE games to see what’s successful. I absolutely love AOE 1, but there need to be changes. With that said:

IMPROVEMENTS
1.–> “Dormant” CPU. There cannot be “dead” or “not working” teams in game with CPU. I’ve played all AOE games for countless hours since they came out, but in AOE1 there has always been a problem with PC players who literally are dormant, and don’t actually play once the games starts. They get to maybe the tool age, then never do anything. It happened 2/3rds of the games I played in the Beta. That is sooo frustrating. It completely throws off the balance of the game and ruins it in many instances.

2.–> Walls. They are over powered against the CPU. The CPU has literally no idea what to do when you build walls on the choke points in maps. Say you’re playing a coastal map. If you build walls cutting off the shallows…the CPU doesn’t attack it. As a result, even on hardest, the game is so easy. Another issue with walls is “snaking” the walls. It’s over powered as well. The CPU, again, has no idea what to do. They just suicide their units through your snaking wall and it makes the game so so so so easy. It’s frustrating, because I was just hoping that they would add gates in, and fix the CPU intelligence when it comes to snaking walls, but it just flat out ruins the game. I could play a 1v7 on hardest and win easily because of walls. Adding in gates would be huge plus to me, and I do not believe that these wall features were a “core” featurre of AOE 1. This is what was just wrong with it. lol

3.–> Gold. There’s a gold problem in AOE 1. For how important the resource is, after a certain amount of time in the Iron Age everyone runs out of gold. There’s no effective way to trade. The trade ships can bring in a very very small amounts of gold, but it’s not nearly enough to fight a war with–and that’s only if there’s water on the map. They need to add in an “on land” way to trade gold like trade routes in Mythology or come up with another way to make gold

4.–> Unit movement. Like mentioned above, the unit movement is still so bad. I do not believe this is a “core” feature of the game. It NEEDS to have squad movement like in all other AOE’s and friendly units should be able to move through each other so there aren’t traffic jams. It’s so frustrating and annoying.

5.–>Farms. I don’t have a huge issue with it, but I wouldn’t mind if farms could be stocked up at a granary so villagers would automatically reseed them. End game, when you’re commanding your units, it’s so annoying to have to go back and replant like 50 farms. Literally so annoying. lol.

@SalvationsElite

1. I agree on this one.
  2. I agree that the AI should be able to handle walls. I disagree that there should be gates.
  3. I disagree. I like that you can’t maintain full-scale war forever. Basically, it’s kind of a natural end to a match.
  4. I agree that pathfinding has to be improved. I disagree that there should be formations. And I strongly disagree that friendly units should be able to just pass through one another. Giant armies shouldn’t just fit through a tiny gap all at once. The problem is that they’ll instead wander off and go entirely different ways at the moment, once the gap is jammed, basically suiciding in many cases, instead of just slowly moving through. And it can happen at non-obvious positions.
  5. A farm queue would be okay for me, but I don’t really see the problem with how it is now.