Improvements (after playing the beta version)

• Farm queue would be a good improvement. Its annoying to refarm all time

• I agree that gold is a issue. Its end very soon, and so chariot wins. Maybe a plantation like in age3, would be nice.

• I also think gates would be welcome, but its not a major improvement.

• but the most important thing is to fix pathfinding.

• I also want to see a flare to alert our friends.

@“Cleglaw the mad” said:

i would like to have a timer on screen. its good to know if your late or not for… like training first axeman, or having 6 farms on some exact time.

There is already a timer in the game, you just need to know the hotkey associate with that.

I think it remembers if you put it on as well, so you don’t have to press it each time you open the game. At least, I hope it does ;p

@Penelinfi that’s correct

There are a few things that I was sad to not see during the beta. Hopefully, they can be put into the game.

-There are no camera position hotkeys to keybind.
-There didn’t seem to be a resolution setting, only a ‘zoom’ and that was weird.
-I could not shift+5 to create-or-add to a control group.
-In the past I could click on the villager on the saturated farm plot and could simply rightclick it for him to rebuild it. I couldn’t do it in the beta—or the hitbox was off. I do know I had trouble clicking on him/her.

I could list a few more but it’s been a few days since the beta ended for me. I didn’t get to play it long. Generally there are core management mechanics that I feel like are missing from aoe de that I either had in the old aoe2, or are currently in rts games that people play competitively seriously.

For the record, this DE is for AoE 1 and not 2,so yes some features will be “missing” because the original game didn’t have them. AoE 2 is supposedly getting its own DE later.

Right click reseed should still work. Hopefully any hit box issues are fixed.

Resolution setting and scaling is set by your desktop resolution and scaling.

I don’t know what you mean by shift 5 click control groups. In this DE for AoE 1,control groups are made by pressing (wait for it) control, plus a number. You should be able to easily add units by selecting the control group by pressing relevant number, then using shift to left click select extra units, then setting the control group again using control plus number key. Note that there is a limit on the number of units that can be selected at once and hence that is the limit of control group size.

Could you please elaborate on “camera position”? The game does snap the screen to a building if you select it via hot keys, and there should also be a setting to snap to whatever unit is selected when you press the key for it. I think it used to be space bar.
There is no option to view the game from different angles because it’s still a 2D game.

Hopefully that helps and is correct :slight_smile:

@Deadlights1202 You can rebuild farms by right clicking them long as their remains are still on the ground. Maybe it was a bug that was fixed in the BETA or something. I only got to play on the last 2 most recent matches.

But anyways it works for sure no need to worry.

@Deadlights1202 said:
There are a few things that I was sad to not see during the beta. Hopefully, they can be put into the game.

-There didn’t seem to be a resolution setting, only a ‘zoom’ and that was weird.

-I could not shift+5 to create-or-add to a control group.

• I don’t see the problem with the resolution/zoom … you scroll and you have you’re resolution. You can also configure your UI in the option game and is pretty cool in my opinion.
  • I agree with you, some hotkey doesnt work for keybind something and sometimes you cant add units/buildings in a group for some reason, this is weird and annoying… Need to be fix.
  • I’m also agree for add position camera hotkey, nowadays this is a function so effective when we want to be faster on our maccro game.

Do you think gold is a problem in the game? I think yes. It ends very fast, which gives great advantage to the chariots.

I think the gold is fine. It forces change. I would say that it would be nice to have an iron age upgrade of certain units, or at least make it slightly less unbalanced in non gold units at end game.

Until then, you’ll need to be wary if your opponent can build chariots and use your gold accordingly.

I like that AoE 1 is different than 2 in that you don’t just send in gold units until some trade line gets broken :smirk: it is possible to defend by using bowmen, towers, etc but not efficient :slight_smile:

@Penelinfi said:
I think the gold is fine. It forces change. I would say that it would be nice to have an iron age upgrade of certain units, or at least make it slightly less unbalanced in non gold units at end game.

Until then, you’ll need to be wary if your opponent can build chariots and use your gold accordingly.

Disagree and it doesn’t make much sense what you are saying. A lot of civs don’t have access to chariots at all. These are the only trash units in the whole game. Some civs just can’t not use gold. So how will you use gold accordingly? You can’t you will just lose the game if it goes for 45+ minutes and that’s probably the worst way to lose a game.

Having a fun competitive match? Too bad you run out of gold so the only thing you can make is Scouts. Super fun. I would like to point out I didn’t get to play the beta as much as I would like, but even in the 28 or so games I had, 3 games I ran out of gold and was forced into scouts/axemen. That’s just not fun.

This would be a non issue if trash units were available to all civs like AoE2. But obviously that’s not the case. if you are going to give some civs trash units and not others then you need to make gold not run out so easily. In my opinion they should increase all gold mines gold amount by like 30%. It’s a really simple fix that would help a lot. And what negatives could there be?

I agree with you Jordian.

Increase all gold mines gold amount by 30% would be great.

I like that AoE 1 is different than 2 in that you don’t just send in gold units until some trade line gets broken :smirk: it is possible to defend by using bowmen, towers, etc but not efficient :slight_smile: > @J0rdian said:

@Penelinfi said:

Disagree and it doesn’t make much sense what you are saying. A lot of civs don’t have access to chariots at all. These are the only trash units in the whole game. Some civs just can’t not use gold. So how will you use gold accordingly? You can’t you will just lose the game if it goes for 45+ minutes and that’s probably the worst way to lose a game.

Having a fun competitive match? Too bad you run out of gold so the only thing you can make is Scouts. Super fun. I would like to point out I didn’t get to play the beta as much as I would like, but even in the 28 or so games I had, 3 games I ran out of gold and was forced into scouts/axemen. That’s just not fun.

This would be a non issue if trash units were available to all civs like AoE2. But obviously that’s not the case. if you are going to give some civs trash units and not others then you need to make gold not run out so easily. In my opinion they should increase all gold mines gold amount by like 30%. It’s a really simple fix that would help a lot. And what negatives could there be?

So if you get a non chariot civ you will rage quit because “you’ll lose anyway”?

Using gold accordingly means too use it wisely, use strategy, rather than just sending a horde of gold units in to die.

Also why would increasing gold amount change anything? You’ll lose anyway 30% later… :slight_smile:

There are also axemen and bowmen and boats. Villagers, towers, walls, buildings, slinger. Not just food hog scouts. Which is why I suggested that some kind of iron age improvement of axe and bow would create a more useful “trash unit”. It kind of doesn’t make sense how you disagree but then agree on better trash units for non chariot civs…

Sending my gold units to die? Name a unit I can use other then gold units in the bronze age? You literally have to make gold units. I’m not using them unwisely that is ridiculous. I’m using what I have to use, please tell me what to do because there is no viable strat in Bronze age that doesn’t use gold units. Maybe you want me to use gold units but want me to use them more wisely, how do you do that? Sit in your little base wall everything and make towers and lose? Idk what game you are playing but turtling and only making towers is not a viable strategy. So please tell me how to play with a only gold unit civ, because apparently making cav or camels is not the right way you want me to turtle in my base with towers.

No trash unit in the game is viable vs chariots. Slingers can hold their own a bit vs chariot archers but obviously get destroyed by normal chariots. All tool age units are garbage vs bronze-iron age units. It’s not possible to win. So why would you even mention that.

Also saying I would rage quit because I get a non chariot civ is silly come on man. I never even said that, I said it’s a terrible way to lose in the late game. Because it is. Are you gonna say running out of gold and just losing is not terrible?

Increasing gold amount is the only way to fix it that doesn’t change the game. It’s not a perfect fix, but it’s literally the only thing you can do. It won’t fix the issue but it can stop it from happening more often.

This is turning into a misunderstanding. You said I said but we both never said. Eg you say I said you’ll rage quit - no, I asked a question. See “?”

Also running out of gold in the Bronze Age… I thought we were talking Iron Age here. But even so, if you’re using all the gold on the map in bronze, then why is more going to help you get to iron?

We were talking about chariots, now you are asking me to name another unit aside from gold units you can use because gold is the only viable strategies? Chariots? We are discussing random thoughts changing the subject without explanation. It leads to assumptions = arguments.

Back to the chariot issue, it probably needs a balance or different unit stats if they become a problem in DE. There’s also rm vs dm. A lot of fast early game civs are not so good in deathmatch and vice versa. But I think gold units have received a small boost in this game now, mainly instant short swordsman, and chariots I think had some parameters reduced slightly.

Fast archers were always strong due to micro. Normal chariots in late game were never much issue until trample damage came along

@J0rdian said:

Part of the civ balance is the fact that every civ has their own weak and strong timings.
Not having elephants, strong siege or Centurions makes civs weak at Iron age, but having Scythe Chariot makes them strong at very late Iron age.

If your civ has Alchemy then Bowmen are much better than Scouts and most of the time better choice than Axemen.

Scythe Chariot on itself is strong units and in my games i often used solely them since they were so strong in every aspect.

In beta forum there was a lot of talk about nerfing Scythe Chariot since it was too strong as thrash unit, but no changes came through. Partially because there were no single suggestion that everyone would have been happy with.

I think that running out of gold is good thing as long as thrash units are balanced. It forces chance and gives some civs different goals. Surviving till there is no gold vs winning before gold runs out is strategically great.

After reading several topics in this forum, I come to the following conclusion:

Community consensus:

• improved pathfinding
  • farm reseeding
  • flare to alert allies about a point on the map

Non-consensus in the community:

• gold issue
  • gates
  • specific military units for each civilization

there are other items, but these I think were the most quoted items

@Hum said:

Community consensus:

• improved pathfinding
  • farm reseeding

• gold issue
  • gates

Flare is coming. There’s a empty circular place for it next to the minimap.

@Hum said:
Do you think gold is a problem in the game? I think yes. It ends very fast, which gives great advantage to the chariots.

It’s true but this is part of the game strategy that is Age Of Empires. You will notice that the units that use gold, are particularly powerful or specialized units. If there is too much gold on the map, civilizations with heavy units using gold will be strongly favored.

It is not for nothing that we can see experts game focusing around the map control and in particular on the gold deposits. Private his gold opponent is a viable strategy.

For chariots, it’s an interesting unit because it’s cheaper and have good perfomances but it has also his counter units like camels for example, cheaper as well with good stats (like the bonus armor) and performing against all cavalry units

I don’t think gold is a problem, in my opinion it is instead the players who don’t have enough knowledge of the advantages/disadvantages of each civilization.

All is about strategy and knowledge.

@Hum said:

Community consensus:

• improved pathfinding
  • farm reseeding

• gold issue
  • gates

Gates and farm reseeding are not coming. Those were announced long time ago.

Gold issue is more of and Scythe Chariot/thrash unit issue. Gold running out is part of the game and is unlikely to change as it is the essence of AOE1.

Civ specific units are not talked much as there will not be any new units in the release. (New expansion, if there will be any will be the first ones to bring new units.)