Indians need MOST of any civ to be split into many civilizations

The old-ness is only in terms of written tradition. Orally it seems they’re all about the same, and oldest sculpted records are all in the 500 BC - 100 BC range for Kannada, Tamil, and Telugu. Tulu, I’m sure, is also somewhere there.

1 Like

That’s like including all Romance-speaking civilisations (Spanish, Italians, Franks) into one. Also geographically and politically, it doesn’t make that much sense. One was land-based and the other naval.

1 Like

Still peeves me off that Mongols and Tatars are separate civilisations but Indians is one :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Tamil Telugu Kannada and Malayalam are based off of a Proto-Dravidian Language. Each one of them is original.
There are 6 classical languages in India (that have not changed since thousands of years):
All 4 Dravidian languages listed above and Oriya and Sanskrit.

3 Likes

The languages have actually changed quite a lot, but they have an unbroken tradition wherein you can trace the changes back to millennia ago. For example, old Kannada is very similar to old Tamil, but today it’s not as much. Also old Tamil is much harder to understand than even 1000 years ago. Think of it like how Pali is much more similar to Sanskrit than to Bengali or Maithili or Sinhala.

so what are the civs we are going to ad in the anticipated expansion of the subcontinent
tamil
and who else?

I made a big post of what I like in this thread here.

But I guess there is still officially no new civilisations.

1 Like

Bengali is quite recent in its creation. In wikipedia Pala empire is mentioned to be using Proto-Bengali. Also they were not as much numerous as they are now compared to their other East Aryan neighbours. Their population boomed in British colonial age when large chunks of lands was forcefully incorporated into Bengal State (Cooch Behar, Midnapur)

Kalinga and Magadha are the centers of development of the East Indian Culture.

everywhere i see the Tamils they are infantry and naval, i based mine off of the Cholas, maybe that’s why its a heavycav civ

That’s why I favour “Magadhi”, because it includes Odiya and possibly Sinhala people too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cholas were more about fast light cavalry and infantry, and mostly about the navy. In fact they fought the Chalukyas so that they could steal some of their horses and camels to use in the future.

1 Like

My concept is NAVAL, ELEPHANT, infantry and monks.

1 Like

Also why not Gunpowder, Cavalry, Tower, and Defensive :joy:

Modern Sinhala are directly linked to the Kalinga-Vanga colonisers. The Lion in the Sri Lankan flag can be seen in temples throughout East India. (Fun fact: East India does not have lions they have tigers.) Narsimha (Lion God) is widely worshipped by the Oriyas.

3 Likes

East coast of India did not have early access to gunpowder when compared to West Coast which got it directly via Arabian Sea.
There are much more Elephants in the East India region.

2 Likes

They are a Naval and Elephant civilization with Infantry and Monk options.
For example Magyars are a Cavalry Civilization with Archers and Cavalry Archer options

1 Like

Yeah IMO every Indian civ gets elephant archers and much better than current imperial upgrades (from the archery range, not castle).

Monks actually fit East India very well since it was the center of Buddhism. Also Jagannath cult prevalent here promotes a theocratic form of government.

1 Like

They wouldnt get Ele Archers if devs added new Indian civs.

East India? Werent Bengals muslims?