Is anyone else seeing insane memory utilization playing DE?

And that so counts out -so many- consumer laptops these days, still. Especially as they often have the RAM soldered on and can’t upgrade.

It hasn’t crashed on my Surface Book 2 with GTX1060 but boy am I glad I got the 16GB RAM option! Well it did crash trying to do the benchmark with UHD graphics and I haven’t tried that again, but other than that okay, but still low FPS and 94% RAM usage. We’ve come a long way from the game shipping on a CD.

1 Like

The minimum is 4 gb of ram

2 Likes

even so, if you don’t use a 4k display, there is no point in enabling EG at all. I already explained it here.

1 Like

It keeps all textures loaded if you don’t quit the application, that’s why u don’t see any RAM changes when u start changing settings; U’ve already loaded the enhanced textures into memory.

Try changing settings and then relaunch the game. There should be a difference then?

I’m certain they messed up game code for sure. I still can’t see the point how this game can take 80% of ram just in main menu. This is huge memory leakage and definitely not normal. They are using old sprite loading system. Newer game uses more modern technology to render a scene. Still doesn’t take that much of memory like this game is doing now. They need a memory leakage fix asap.

1 Like

Well… now it says 8GB.

It is being used for the game. Yes, if you have 32GB of RAM chances are the game will utilise all of it. People with less RAM will see their pagefile on their PC being used more intensively.

RAM utilization without UHD (the enhanced graphics pack DLC) is much better, alteast in the campaigns. From what I gathered, RAM utilisation in multiplayer is much heavier.

I think that is exactly what is going on. It is not dynamically loading and unloading the textures (probably due the game engine). The size of the DLC is 16GB, and what I think that happens is that it loads close to everything to your RAM and pagefile. If that pagefile sits on a M.2 nvme drive, then you will still get very good performance. On a SATAIII SSD for me personally it is still working properly, but if the pagefile sits on a HDD you will get unplayable performance.

There should be a way to have the VRAM also being ulitized. It should be possible to code that in. The video card is just having a snore fest on my end.

Also memory speed is kind of important. It’s not just the amount of RAM that determines your framerate down the line.

1 Like

That’s absolute insanity. It can’t ever run on an 8GB system, unless the game is further optimized.

Yeah… maybe that change in that page means they think they can optimize it further.

1 Like

I am having 120-150FPS in the French Campaign on Ultra (none-UHD) 1080p with 8GB of RAM. The difference between Ultra and UHD is frankly massive, but the 8GB for the base game is accurate, in 1080p.

1 Like

Well, as a bit of an update to this - I upgraded to 32gb of ram from 16. I’m now seeing 21-22gb of usage and my benchmark score DROPPED below the acceptable threshold for ranked games.

this has got to be some kind of April fools joke.

5 Likes

But it doesn’t say 8GB for the base game without UHD. It says 8GB for UHD now, 4GB for base game.

1 Like

I played a bunch of games tonight. I honestly think the issue is a massive memory leak. On medium settings with basically everything extra shut off I’m still seeing 17-19gb of ram usage.

2 Likes

Yeah, that is inaccurate. You can’t do it with 8GB.

You might be able to run the base game with low graphics on 4GB RAM. I don’t know that, although to be frank 4GB is just enough to run windows and a couple of tabs in chrome. I definitely would not recommend running the game at all with less than 8GB.

Can you check in your bios/UEFI if everything is set correctly? Maybe the RAM is running in a lower speed by accident. Try to enable XMP too if it isn’t already.

Coincidently, I am going to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB this evening, so I’ll let you guys also know about that.

Got my new RAM kit. I went from 8GB single channel to 16GB Dual channel. Same RAM speed.

-None UHD: The benchmark went from 1115 to 1145. I also had around 3-6FPS more. Crucially FPS with the additional RAM did not drop below 30.

-UHD: I went from outright 2-3FPS on the benchmark (outright unplayable) to 12-27FPS and a score of 1059.3. Especially at the beginning of the benchmark the FPS, with the additional RAM, was eradic. It relatively quickly stabilized above 20 FPS though. Crucially, the pagefile still sits on a HDD, which I think does determine a large part of the performance.

Also very noticable is that loading times went down a lot.

All in all, the RAM upgrade made a significant positive impact for me.

3 Likes

Correct. It’s very important not to fill all slots per channel to maintain dual channel functionality otherwise you will gain more memory but loose memory speed against it. In your case upgrading to 16 GB did work. If you want to (and can) upgrade to 32 you will need to buy 2x 16 GB again.

I have 2x8GB for now, and in total there are only 2 slots on the motherboard. So I’m not going to upgrade for a couple of years (also because it is a relatively old motherboard, a MSI H110 Eco. Both processor and motherboard are bottlenecking RAM speed (RAM is 2400Mhz; effective speed is 2133Mhz, but XMP does mitigate it somewhat)). 16GB works decent. Again, I think I have more to gain should I run the game and pagefile from a SSD (can’t fit a M.2 nvme drive unfortunaly).

I am overall happy with the performance. In campaigns, and that is really why I bought the game in the first place, I have 120-150FPS. I primarily use the benchmark as a worst case scenario and because it is standardized, which could give valuable information to other people.

What I did not expect however was that loading times would drop so significantly. I think the pagefile determines a very large part of the performance.

Did loading times drop for you both with and without UHD?
May I ask what is your CPU and GPU? It seems, that increasing RAM from 8 to 16 GB really pays off even without UHD :slight_smile: