Is nobody else concerned about the population limit?

I prefer a smoother game over larger armies and yeah 200 was the usual for me too.

2 Likes

I remind you that in AOE 2 the majority of the pop goes in the peasants, and that the limit of 200 is very quickly reached on ranked games.
It’s something that demotivated me a little, the fact of having to focus more on production than on fight

I just hope that for unclassified game modes we will be able to choose a higher limit

1 Like

well i dont play ranked
its weird if they only focus on competetive players
i barely know anyone who plays ranked and ive got steam groups with 200 people+

1 Like

The more, the better.

200 units is so small now. Age of Empires 4 needs to innovate

6 Likes

Maybe that’s just an option.

Does 200 unit cap applies to both villagers and military or just military only?

If 1v1, does 200 unit cap still applies or will it 800 unit cap?

Its a unit cap, so both villagers & military. They already mentioned that they wanna keep the 200 pop limit for ranked 1v1 and I’d assume that they include some options for custom limits in lobby-games (just like in aoe2). i wouldn’t be concerned about pop limits in custom games, however i dont think that ranked will be anything changeable (for balance/performance reasons)

2 Likes

I thought the 200 cap works for 4v4. They said 1600 units is possible.

So it will be 800 cap for 1v1. Right?

Am I mistaken?

200 being shared by both villager and military is so underwhelming.

1 Like

As long as its 1:1 and units don’t cost multiple pop I can accept 200. If units cost multiple pop tho yeah that’s gonna make it feel very crappy compared to an AOE2 fight

A population limit of 200 also works for me. Imo, this emphasises the S in RTS as you have to cope with rare/limited resources and balance between villager and offensive/defensive military units.
Nevertheless, I do like the idea posted by @SirGuybrushT regarding increasing limits when competitors drop.
However, preferences about the right or reasonable population limit differ among players and thus should be up to them.

If they don’t add an option, I think it would be extremely easy to make a mod to increase it.

Well if this is correct, then 200 population will equal to 200 actual units. I don’t know how the balancing would work but I think this is better because then you are making a 1:1 on population to units which is how it should have been from the beginning. The only thing stopping you from creating say 100 elephants and 50 trebuchets should be the resources, defenses and other stuff like that.

1 Like

I hope its higher then 200, they promised big battles with a lot of units… So 200 isn’t enough for that imo
Age of empires 3 with 200 pop cap is to low to Imo. Now i read some comments that every unit takes 1 pop space so its different then Age of empires 3 so thats a relief.

But i don’t understand the people here who don’t want a higher pop cap then 200, i mean what is the problem with the option?! if you don’t like it then go play on 200. It’s nice for the people who want more that atleast the option is there, And they can put in a warning if you go to high that you can suffer lagg, It’s that simple, and if they want to burn their computer down it’s those people their own choice right :joy: And don’t tell me that it’s not possible because we had enough RTS games with armies of THOUSANDS of units for example: Supreme commander, Ashes of Singularity, Cossacks

So again what is the problem with the option to be there (like Age of empires 2 HD/DE), And if you don’t like a higher pop cap then 200/250 then don’t do it simple as that

5 Likes

It is also worth noting that AoE 4 is balanced for a smaller population of villagers than in the previous games. So 200 pop in AoE 4 means bigger armies than a 200 pop game in AoE 2.

2 Likes

In AgeIII one can have more than 200 units with native alliance mechanics. I think they should give us 300-400 pop limit. Or at-least include some mechanics to play around pop limit like Scholars or other monk type units can live in Mosques or other relative buildings so give them a build limit instead of pop count. Building Castles can be used to increase population limit or other mechanics like that…
200 pop limit seems boring now…

3 Likes

If that is the case then 200 is enough.

1 Like

I know but i stay hard headed :joy: and atleast like the option of a higher pop cap

It would be nice if we can have 300. Is not way too much yet, but if people think it’s too far, maybe 250 can be the number to please everyone?

I know this time we will need fewer villagers to sustain the economy, so we can dedicate more numbers to the army, still, I hope to get some extra units to make large battles.

But, if every single unit costs 1 pop only (what I don’t think that happens) no matter if is a foot soldier, a horse rider, or an elephant, maybe 200 can be a good number indeed.
Yet, once more, I don’t think that this would be the case anyway…

4 Likes

They should make the population limit like they did in AoE 2de, it goes up to 500 but you can choose whatever number you want for your game

2 Likes

I think this is reasonable since in most competitive games of AoE2 , the pop limit is 200 .
Also , my computer goes crazy whenever I make a 8 player 500 pop game even in AoE2