Is the DE upgrade worth it?

I have a relatively low-end laptop and I was wondering if the upgrade is worth it? My laptop can run Age of Empires I and II: DE just fine with barely any stutters and frame drops but III: DE is a lot more challenging. The specs are Intel Core i3-7020U, 8 GB of RAM, 1TB Seagate HDD and for graphics, I have an Intel HD 620. And I have a 1920*1080 display.

The thing is, only for AoE3? It’s debatible.
But upgrading your laptop will also enable you to play other games and increase your productivity on other stuff.
Depends on how much are you willing to spend and what other stuff you do on your computer

3 Likes

I don’t think you would be able to run it properly

1 Like

nah. best send those money to me
ok that’s joking
how could you think consult strangers on the internet would help?
it depends on how much you love this game

I wouldn’t recommend AoE3 DE for a laptop without a dedicated GPU at the moment, maybe in 6 months. It is much more demanding that the 2, which run well on intel integrated graphics

1 Like

I think you would have a very bad time attempting to play AoE3:DE on that machine.

As someone said above, it depend on how much you want to play the game.

If you like the game and are about to play it a lot, just go ! People spend 10K€ in a car they use 20 minutes a day and hesitate to spend 1000€ on a pc they play 2-3 hours a day. Never got it.

3 Likes

I love Age of Empires I and II and I really wanted to get III to complete it. Plus, I am a huge fan of the colonial era.

I think I can run Age of Empires III: Complete Collection properly but the overuse of bloom and bad UI elements really throws me off.

My PC does not have many problems to run the game, just to open the metropolis to request shipments it lags a lot, I decided to lower the graphics to the minimum for more fps, and it goes much more fluid although it looks horrible, if you lower the graphics to the minimum I think you will do well, but surely in a late game, naval combat or even when opening the metropolis, you can suffer lag attacks of several seconds.

You dont have much to lose.

Worst case scenario, you can ask for a refund.

Also, this is on Steam, so even if you dont play it now, you’ll always have it for when you upgrade your PC.

1 Like

I bought my previous games off the Microsoft Store, it’s cheaper there. And I don’t see why people hate the Microsoft Store.

You can turn bloom off and enable minimized UI, or even download some UI mod.

None of the Age games are cheaper there. People typically hate it because of its buggy behavior (failing to detect game updates, half-functional crossplay…), locked game files (basically impossible to create mods) and at times delayed or entirely skipped game update releases for the platform, due to its complicated approval process.

Edit: @FoughtBird1976 Just today we see another example of a hotfix being released only for Steam version of the game, while Windows Store version will remain broken for the foreseeable future: Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition — Update 11148

1 Like

also steam friends list is just straight up great.

1 Like

@EaglemutOP That was really useful, thanks for that. Well, this topic has reached its inevitable end.

Just know I got AoE: DE from the store for $2.99 while Steam cost $6.31.

Maybe higher cost in exchange for better support and more bug fixes? Lol.

To your PC, I seriously doubt it can run AOE3 DE. Mine is i5-9300H with 16GB of RAM (upgraded myself), GTX 1650 and 1TB SATA SSD + 1TB NVME SSD (upgraded myself). Highest setting no problem.