It is hoped that the existing resource gathering method will be simplified to the model of Age of Empires 3

And that hurts me seeing. AoE 3 got very good reviews when it was originally released back in 2005:

I noticed that as well when I watched the stream of one of AoE 4’s pros who came over from Starcraft and said he only heard bad things about AoE 3. I’m pretty sure those pros would actually like AoE 3.
Whenever someone says “Oh I like [insert feature here]”, I’m like “me too. Did you know that they got it from AoE 3?”.

2 Likes

AoE3 DE features several unresolved issues to this day (this isn’t the thread for that) and a controversial card system (which I personally like, but I know a majority don’t).

AoE4 can only continue to collect the best of each AoE series and try to be fully complete so that a group of players can continue to see it enjoyable.

No, thank you - the existing system is much better

Well, technically AoE 4 is AoE 2 3D, only they did everything wrong…

Very true…

In my case, I said “medieval again? I pass”… and my hype died that day xd…

Yes, that game takes a while to get the hang of it… And about the counters, it’s not that difficult once you’ve got the hang of it… About the bugs, relax, they are fixed with the patches…

Of course, the idea would be to put things that appeal to the public of AoE 2, things that appeal to the public of AoE 3 and things that appeal to the public of AoE 4 and ready, all happy and happy, for example I liked the Mongols, because they were something new never before seen in the saga (yes in SC2 and CnC4), then the Ottomans (because they have the vizier points aka the cards of AoE 3) and the Malians (because they have units with stealth like the natives of AoE 3 and farms and automatic mines like the Ethiopians of AoE 3)…

Very true, AoE2 players already have that chip implanted … you take them out of there and put them in another AoE and they get lost and they start complaining that you took them out of their comfort zone…

I am also a player of AoE 3 and AoEO (although already with Celeste, since the original, I could never play it on my old pc)…

Yes, AoM is like a watershed in the saga that differentiates the classic players of the saga (AoE1 and AoE2) with the most modern players of this (AoM, AoE 3, AoEO and why not AoE 4 too)…

Very true, I agree on everything… the AoE2 vs other AoEs debate is no longer going…we have to join to improve AoE 4 to be the game that unites the entire community of the saga and then we can have AoM 2 and AoE 5…if AoE 4 dies, the saga will return to the ostracism it had between 2007 and 2013 (although it was not so much, since we had many games and mods at that time) …

Of course, if they set AoE 4 in modernity, they were going to compare it with CoH and shoot themselves in the foot… the same would happen if they had set it in antiquity (because they would compare it with AoEO) or in the colonial period (because they would compare it with AoE 3) and said “it was, we set it in the medieval period of AoE 2, because we liked that game and if you compare it with that game and we triumphed great and if not, at least we tried”…

Very true…

Yes, in fact FE is in charge of the dlcs of AoE 4…it is noticeable by the mechanics of the Malian and Ottoman civs…

Very ironic everything…xd

Yes, I’m the same, but less worried, since I know they have a lot of work on top (Return of Rome (AoE 1 DE port in AoE 2 DE client),AoE 2 DE and AoE 4 on Xbox and AoM RT), which is good for the saga because they are giving everything for it …

There’s no point in World Edge wanting to shoot itself in the foot… they pay streamers to hit AoE 3, but then they take dlcs for AoE 3, who understands them?..

Yes, a little bit of everything…

Normal, CoH 3 is their spoiled child…

Game industry News (GiN) (five stars)

AoEIII does what its predecessors did: set the standard by which other RTS titles will be judged for sometime to come. It remains the gold standard and earns 5 GiN gems for its home city’s treasury.

GameSpy (five stars)

Age of Empires III is an absolutely fantastic title with superb graphics and tight gameplay. Single-player or multiplayer, no matter what your skill, you’ll get hours of joy out of this sucker online or off. Age of Empires III may not redefine real-time strategy gaming, but it sets the bar so high that we’ll be comparing games to this for years. Shoulder your musket and pony up: this one’s a real trip.

GameZone (9.5 out of 10)

Age of Empires III is a must have game for any Real Time Strategy gamer. There are so many new additions in this game that it will boggle your mind. This is one of the best looking games, much less an RTS game, that is out on the market currently. This is one purchase you will not come to regret.

Worth Playing (9.3 out of 10)

Overall, Age of Empires III is a must-have for anyone fond of the series or RTS gaming in general. The new additions do much to add new depths of strategy, and hopefully the next installment in the series will do even more. The graphics are impressive, and the solid gameplay from previous installments has carried over well. I’m glad the developers didn’t radically change the game or try to reinvent it in a large way, as the core gameplay is what initially attracted me to the series and keeps me coming back. With only a few minor quibbles, such as the small role of navy and sometimes lackluster story in campaign mode, I give my full approval to AoE3.

Yes, I remember that it had very good acceptance in its day and that it was super popular, maybe not as much as the 2, but it was quite accepted, then when I got into AoE groups years later I discovered the sad reality: “I like the ugly girl of the dance”…

Yes, I think that many SC 2 and AoE 4 players may like AoE 3 if they give it their due chance and try it for a few days (both single player and multiplayer)…

Sure, sure…

1 Like

Well I sure hope Relic would ask FE for insight. FE has a long track record of parachuting into Age games and creating civs that feel like natural extensions of the game that still push the game into new directions. Those release civs in aoe4 were a mess.

1 Like

To my knowledge, FE is involved in balancing AoE 4 and providing content such as Art of War.

Yes, FE takes care of everything that makes the civs and the balance of the game, since half of Relic is focused on CoH 3…

That is quite the claim.

I think civ design in AoEO is really great. QoL and UI, not so much. Can’t stand the UI actually, it’s what kept me from playing the game more.

To a crazy degree sometimes. Like any slightly new mechanic “isn’t AoE2”. Stuff like Huns not needing houses and Chinese getting extra villagers is only ok because it has been in there since the beginning, if they were added today some people would complain they don’t fit AoE2.

I am pretty sure many of the people who complain about it here don’t actually play it at all. Some have straight up said as much.

Well Forgotten Empires said themselves that they were already helping with AoE4 and continue to do so:

CysionBE
Correct, we’ve been supporting the team at Relic for quite some time and continue to do so :slight_smile:

AoE4 seems to draw ideas from all the previous Age games. It may draw the most from AoE2 as far as how gameplay functions, but it has various mechanics from other games, like the sacred sites, the landmarks, some civ specific macro mechanics, etc… Ha there are even a few AoE3 players who are mad that AoE4 is not somehow giving “credit” for some ideas to AoE3.

I don’t at all think that they have ignored or thrown out lessons learned from the previous AoE games. Some people just don’t like that it doesn’t conform enough to their specific favorite one.

I try to pick my moments. This is one hill I am willing to die on. But this is not the thread to launch into my argument as to why AoEO’s QoL and UI is better than that of any other game in the franchise. :smiley:

That’s true… that is, the only truly new thing about AoE 4 would be the units in the walls and that can build siege and that the Mongols can have mobile bases (although the latter was already added to the Lakotas of AoE 3 in the Lakota patch of months ago)…

1 Like

Stealth forests, melee units charging, etc…

Also… You are right, is that stealth forests almost do not use them xd …

Yep. But on the other hand it seems like the DLC civs so far received good feedback (well, with the exception of the revolution…)

1 Like

Some of the mechanics brought over from AoE3 to AoE2 haven’t gone over too well with the AoE2 crowd. I don’t think the Flemish revolution for example is entirely appropriate for AoE2 gameplay-wise but haven’t tested it myself to come to a strong opinion either way.

AoEIV lends itself better to implementing a wider array of mechanics as its civ design is more robust than AoE2s. Landmarks add another dimension that AoE2 lacks as well.

2 Likes

AoEO has units that charge. I swore this was in AoE3 or even AoM, no?

can they just hire you as a game dev advisor/consultant already big fella

Ah yeah, you are correct of course, it does. I don’t think AoE3 did? Unless maybe they were added in DE? I don’t think AoM does either, but it does have some special attacks on cooldowns.

1 Like

Haha, I think they have heard enough from me for their lifetimes.

1 Like

pretty sure charging came with DE for aoe3, AOM not sure, maybe

1 Like

Woad Raiders from AoEO were the first units in the series with a proper charge. The next was AoE3DE Swedish caroleans. If it’s not AoEO it’s a non-innovative copycat game lmao bottomtext