Italy and Malta! Comment your opinion!

I think both civs look great, really surprised by malta but it was a nice surprise. It has lots of cool mechanics, home city looks amazing, the hospitaller knights are super cool as well. A surprise extra civ is never a bad thing, if you don’t like it then don’t play it.

8 Likes

Why would you just write off any flaws with the DLC from the position that “the developers are merely human” or that “they must have limited resources”? It seems you rarely fault the devs themselves.

Do you own shares from Microsoft? You must realize that your penchant for sympathizing with the business before thinking of the customer’s concerns is not entirely rational.

If business issues are preventing Microsoft or FE from giving us better content then they can let us know and I may feel sympathy for them as a consumer. But until that happens I’m not going to just give them the benefit of the doubt and offer them my support and a hug as if they were a recently widowed member of the community.

Also:

Really? Those poor CEOs.

Or there is a veeeeeeeeeery rare possibility (in an alternate universe of course, not our universe ruled by almighty Sandy Peterson and the VFD QueenMegatron) that no one ever dares to think of: not everyone thinks this is a flaw.

Let me tell you something even more blasphemous: there are people who think Italians are not a good addition. There are also people who think Africans are not a good addition. There are people who think Swedes do not fit because they do not have a lot of colonies. There are even people who think TAD is out of the theme.
Not all of them are screaming over something in the game they do not like. Because nobody is forcing you to buy or play them and YOU ARE FREE TO LEAVE.

7 Likes

3 Likes

Guys, this discussion is becoming kinda of toxic…

Let’s all be adults and stop here, everyone made their point, both pro and against malta so I believe this is enough.

One of the best things about aoe it’s its community, so let’s keep that up.

Of course constructive criticism about balance and mechanics should be continued, but nothing more. Malta has been added, was it a good idea? was it a bad idea? it doesn’t matter anymore…

Focus instead of what would you like to see for the future instead, it’s a more productive use of your time and energy.

6 Likes

Malta is definitely very interesting as a faction. Both gameplay wise and history wise. Nobody claimed that Malta was a huge empire, but it’s fine by me as long as they are interesting to play.

A lot of people have nice civ design ideas and its nice to post those ideas on the forums, but don’t feel too entitled to what new civs you get.

I wasn’t very happy when the US was added, but after playing with them, I actually ended up liking them. I was also one of those people who thought US was better as a revolution, but now I don’t.

6 Likes

By the way, **** I just realized that the devs hinted the Italians Venice HC month ago with the aoe2 carnival festival.

That was a hint about future civs, we just got the wrong game…

Now another round of mining begins.

1 Like

Agreed. Like many and being American myself I wasn’t really enamored with the addition of the USA initially but upon playing it I really dig it and now it’s one of my favorite civs to play.

People often get too hung up on civ choices and do not take into account the fun factor. Malta looks fun to play and for me, that is all that matters. I do not feel any of the civs added via DLC have been totally ridiculous and ruined the game. So much melodrama about a civ.

KotM looks like a stellar DLC with a ton of content. I’m happy my favorite game is getting such substantial support.

10 Likes

As a historical nerd myself I’m always shocked by how strict people become when it comes to “historical accuracy” of a video game…

11 Likes

Malta insignificant? Ottomans wanna have a word with these people

5 Likes

Order of Saint John (1530-1798)
French occupation (1798-1800)

Sure, malta is pretty fit for AoE3DE.

3 Likes

I love Maltese!!

To me, it’s more like a homage to the Black family, like a homage to the history of Age of Empires 3, rather than simply because Maltese is an “empire” or a powerful sovereign nation.

Btw, I wish Hospital, the Maltese barracks, could have some small changes, such as replacing the large table in the middle (operating table?) with a bonfire instead of just a coloured field hospital.

3 Likes

Gameplay wise they look really fun to use, I always like to see more civs that focus on defense so for me malta is very welcome. Yes some stuff is re-used but that stuff also fits well with malta so why not, the commandery is especially interesting and the units I love, particularly the hospitaller. The order galley will be very fun to use I imagine.

4 Likes

Frankly I want an official statement why Maltese were added instead of any other Major option.
Demand for Maltese were almost none.

1 Like

Because Malta is basically Knights of St John but retooled?
Also Malta just don’t represent Malta but Knights Hospitaller who were VERY important order in European history… they helped to create crusader states after all.

2 Likes

I am actually very excited about Malta. I always wished the campaign assets to be playable. Blood campaign was the last remaining one to be added.

5 Likes

Im super stoked for Malta honestly, it is such a wonderful homage towards the earliest roots of AoE3. The first campaign that we got to play, also my favorite campaign thematically.

This is a dream dlc, that brought me back to aoe3. Some hate it, some love it. But it is here to stay no matter what!!

Regards to you all.

PS. Sentinels look great

11 Likes

Since some of the new native techs cost 1000+ coin I think native lore may actually be a useful card. Would probably also be really useful with the tech that advances you to imperial.

I’m generally excited for the DLC and what additional features it could bring to the game, but I also have some concerns and objections with the Malta design. I find it’s generally cool to have them, and I’m familiar with their history as I worked on a mod about them for Empire: Total War.

People have been talking a lot about this sort of “Lamb of the Lord” unit that can accompany the Maltese explorer, which I don’t really like. Firstly, the Lamb of God in liturgical Christian denominations like Catholicism is not a physical entity: the Lamb is the symbolic representation of Jesus’s sacrifice dying on the cross. I find it crass to depict this symbol as just some unit that can get attacked and shot at, and sent around at orders to please the player.

They took out the Native American firepits because they were offensive and did not adequately represent the beliefs and cultures of the American Indigenous peoples. How, then, is it acceptable to mock and cartoonify a core belief of Western Christianity?

I also don’t like the way the unit models for Malta are shaping out to be, they look really out of place by the Industrial Age. The Knights of Malta existed as a military and sovereign political entity until Napoleon conquered Malta in 1798, and they kept up the military fashion and military organization of their contemporaries. They shouldn’t be wearing medieval garments and full-on armor like they do now. These are prints depicting the Order’s soldiers from the late-1700s, around about before the time of Napoleon’s invasion.

Line Infantry of the Knights of Malta

Chasseur/Cacciatore/Skirmisher

2 Likes