[Just for fun] Unique bonuses for hypothetical new civs

Each garrisoned relic +1 attack to foot archers (up to +4)
Camels move 10% faster
Free Crossbowman upgrade
Gunpowder units +1/+2 armor.
Skirmisher fire 25% faster.
Free stone mining upgrades
Free infantry armor upgardes
Villagers can collect food from fish traps
Just a few…

2 Likes

Get 100G per garrisoned relic
Monasteries get +20% HP per relic inside
Cheaper Siege Workshop technologies
Increased rate of fire for Town Centers (maybe starting in FA or increasing per Age)
Faster building conversion time
Hand Cannoneers cheaper food cost
More HP on Trade Carts
Start with a farm next to the TC
Economy buildings are built 50% faster
Economy upgrades are researched 50% faster

1 Like

I would like to keep updating this post with new ideas that suddenly come to my mind every once in a while.

-Skirmishers +1/2/3 range un feudal/castle/imperial age.

-Military buildings cost -100 wood

-Lumbercamps free. (Or maybe cost just a little amount of wood)

1 Like

Town center has ranged attack even without garrisoned units.
Monastery has ranged attack when relics are stored in it, scaled by the number of relics.
Monastery heal nearbys units (except those monks can’t heal obviously)
Dock heals nearby ships.
Repairing buildings/siege units/ships is cheaper/faster (not all for the same civilization obviously)
Scouts can be recruited in the town center and are recruitable during Dark Age.
Villagers have a ranged attack instead of a melee one.
As a special unit, villagers mounted on horseback but without the hability to build, repair or farm.
As a special unit, ships repairing other ships.
As a special unit, ships converting other units (maybe limited to other ships, and docks with redemption).
Trash knight/cavalier (no access to paladin)
Trash galley/war galley (no access to galleon)
Trash eagle scout/eagle warrior (no access to elite eagle warrior)

1 Like

Let Fire Tower become unique building in castle age with the same cost of watch tower. Fire Tower in Imperial Age has +2 range. Fire Tower cost stone and wood such that it cannot be mass. Fire Tower Though Fire Towers do melee damage, only garrisoned archers increases damage or number of bolts shoot. Allows Fire Tower to resemble trebuchet such that Fire Tower can be packed to transform to mobile state with speed of 1 or unpacked to immobile attacking state. Repairing Fire Towers as a unique building does not cost stone.

1 Like

Combined with free fortified wall for more fun.

2 Likes

What about a civ with the ability to place foundations for buildings and build them to 99% an age early. So they don’t get any tech advantages before the age, but with good timing they could hit castle age, and the last hammer stroke to complete a castle/siege workshop/monestary/etc at the same moment.

Probably only situationally useful, but in AOE time is the most important resource. So imagine hoang rushing and being able to get your siege shop and monestary up the moment you arrive in Castle.

Could be an interesting change that creates new build orders etc.

1 Like

start building a TC when your OTW to castle… IDK if i like this.

Yup, so you could use the bonus to be ultra aggressive, or to boom. Obviously the bonus would need to make sense with the civ, and couldn’t be paired with too strong of an early eco bonus.

That said dropping resources into a forward building or TC at home while aging up has to be calculated because otherwise that’s a lot of investment without return.

from a steam thread:

a castle-age UT which allows skirmishers to ignore pierce armour. Call it ‘Pilum’ or ‘heavy javelin’ or whatnot.
In its most limited form, remove Elite Skirm, Bracer, and the Castle&Imp archer armour upgrades.
In post-imp it would deal 5 damage (+3 vs archers & spears) every 3 seconds, 6 range, 1/4 armour, costs 25/35.
Compare that with Persian trashbows, which deal 8-PA damage (+3 vs spears) every 2 seconds, 7 range, 3/4 armour, costs 60 wood.
Against targets with at least 5 PA (most units in post-imp) the UT skirm would have better dps. As a tradeof it would have less range, less survivability, and minimum-range. In low numbers vulnerable to cav & archers, in large numbers vulnerable to siege & archers.

If they turn out to be too weak, they can be buffed easily by giving them more archer techs.

The UT skirms would be strongest in late-castle, after that only getting chemistry.
The civilisation would need a non-skirm answer to archers, certainly in Imp.

Farm space reduced to 2x2 tiles.

3 Likes

UT - instantly get all blacksmith upgrades that you haven’t researched yet

Either as a fairly expensive tech in castle age, or as a fairly cheap tech in Imperial

It would be funny because it would incentivice you not to rearwardly blacksmith upgrades early because doing so would waste part of the UT effect.

1 Like

I recently made a topic to talk about an old concept civ of mine, with its unique bonuses and tech, so I’ll share them here with you guys:

Bonuses:

• Docks works 50% faster and are built in 50% less the time.

• Starts with +150g (so 250g in total).

• Archery range units move 10/15/20% faster in feudal/castle/imp.

• University techs cost 50% less

• Docks provides 5 pop (TB)

UT:

• Castle UT
    After researching it you receive 500 gold for each relic that is inside one of your monasteries (the cost should be about 300/400 resources of only wood and food).

• Imp UT
    Archer line get +1 atk

I’ve been thinking in some possible new bonuses:

• Petards cheaper
  • Petards with more pierce armor
  • Town watch and town patrol affect militry units
  • Chemistry and hand canoneer available in castle age

From the post “'Bulwarks of Christendom` DLC Suggestion”:

• Farms can be harvested by 2 villagers but cost 120 food.

Edit: Farms can be harvested by 2 villagers but cost 120 wood.

2 Likes

Cavalry and Naval civ (Maybe Cholas)

TB - Dock provides +5 pop space

CB :
1. Fishing Ship +5 carry capacity
2. TC techs are 50% cheap
3. Scout line can be trained from Barracks

UT :
Castle age - Battle Elephant reloads 20% faster/attacks 25% faster.
Imperial age - Galley line +1 attack, +1 range

I have been thinking recently about unique units within the tech tree similar to indian imp camel but actually replacing certain units with unique ones. For example we know alot of civs in Africa or the Americas used cavalry but didnt have knights or had bows but never xbows.

For example nw African Bantu Civ
In feudal you have normal Archer but in castle age you can upgrade to Bantu archer and than Elite bantu archer in Imp. The unit would be somewhat similar in power level to xbow/arbalester but also different may be higher fire rate and range for less accuracy.

Same could be done with other units from the tech tree pikes, champs etc.

1 Like

Some bonuses I have in mind as unassigned. They may be used also to balance the current weak civs like Italians or Indians.

Here the list:

• economic units are 10% cheaper
  • all units are 10% cheaper in food (maybe starting in feudal)
  • military buildings-50w
  • having access to a gold trickle, starting in feudal and equal to 1 relic
  • archers move 10/15/20% faster
  • military techs from barracks, stables, and ranges are 50% cheaper
  • ships regenerate hp
  • villagers regenerate hp
  • buildings regenerate hp
  • all military units cost -10%
  • all units cost -10%
  • villagers collect every resource faster (between 3 and 5%)
  • outposts cost no stone
  • Siege towers cost no gold
  • castles and towers have melee damage
  • archer line and skyrms have melee damage
5 Likes

This is actually a very good defensive bonus vs Rams, Eagles and Huskarls. I kinda love it. I’d love to change it a bit: Fortifications deal melee damage against unit with high pierce armor. We don’t need Teutonic Huskarls vs that civ. 11

Villagers work 3% faster - this is far more balanced
Villagers gather non-renewable food sources 7% faster - this is the different version of it

Units are 5% cheaper - includes villagers
Military units are 7% cheaper - more balanced when you have 10-15% cheaper units on food

I propose 33% here. It’s in-between Chinese - Vietnamese and a future civ that has cheap eco techs on food

1 Like

Economic units include villagers and fishing ships. At least in my mind

I misread. I thought it was economic techs. 11