Lakota Flag Poll

I like the flag,but it would have to be a “used” one during the period of aoe 3…

Yes,at least the Sioux flag was original,while the new one of the Lakota seems little inspired by cultural facts…

sure but first fix euro inaccuracy. The natives were already prioritized :slight_smile:

Maybe they will for the European dlc…

Buffalo is disgusting!!! Go to Steam Community :: Error

1 Like

The main problem is that in the AoE3 timeline, many nations simply did not have such thing like an “official flag”. Especially in the case of indigenous nations. In this case, each flag will be historically incorrect and fake.

Nevertheless, when creating such an alleged flag, devs can suggest with some military/royal banners, national signs, traditional symbols etc, or just use more modern flags. In the similar way PDX creates flags in their games like Europa Universalis IV etc.

In both AoE3, classic and DE, devs created their own fantasy flags for the native nations and unfortunately these ones from DE are just the worst (especially new Aztec flag…).

Personally, I just changed them with some mods to these from classic AoE3, or (if it was possible) to a bit more accurate and elegant ones found in the web (just like in opening post - see below).

1 Like

Why would you change the names back to “Sioux” and “Iroquois” then? The updated names are more accurate and make more sense.

5 Likes

No, they are not “more” correct and using them in the English is just optional, but it makes as much sense as replacing name China with Zhongguo, Japan with Nippon, India with Bharat etc.

That’s because I installed a mod that reverted all of these nonsense SJW changes with renaming and removing terms like “plantations” “colonisation” etc from DE, to the old names from classic AoE3. I just didn’t turn this mod off while creating a comparison.

However, as this is not the topic of this thread, I propose to end this offtop and return to the topic of flags. The topic of the new naming in DE has been discussed many times on the forum and has its own threads.

5 Likes

where is this mod pls, i have been searching for a year

3 Likes

I am literally a Lakota Native telling you the names are more accurate. It is not the same, it’s more akin to making the Spanish a civilization, giving them Spanish voice overs, Spanish art, and Spanish-inspired units and technologies, then naming them Iberia.

3 Likes

Even your example is kind of the same thing though. There are more than a few Catalans that aren’t too fond of being called Spanish.

4 Likes

And there’s Lakota who prefer the overarching term Oceti Sakowin. However. “Sioux” and “Iroquois” aren’t accurate or even useful outside of a linguistic discussion. They’re too broad and encompass too many cultures that share little beyond language.

4 Likes

Sioux is the exonym for Oceti Sakowin which is what the in-game faction is supposed to depict. They would have called the faction Lakota in the original game if that’s what they were going for since it’s easier for English speakers. Yes it’s broad, but they had Cheyenne Dog Soldiers lumped in with them so they weren’t exactly being precise. Iroquois is more to do with the Iroquois Confederacy than the name of the people since that was the nation during the AoE3 timeframe.

4 Likes

The in-game depiction speak Lakota, not Dakota or Dakhota. The teepees depicted are Lakota, the language written in is Lakota. Only one of the Seven Fires are represented in-game - the other six are entirely absent.

The Seven Fires speak multiple languages. 6 of the 7 Fires weren’t even nomadic at all - both the Eastern and Western speak different dialects (some so different they are nearly unintelligible with Lakota) than the Lakota, and only two of them were even partly nomadic.

Same thing going on with the Hauds.

1 Like

The Chinese units probably don’t speak Cantonese but they were still part of China at the time.

The original Sioux had Cheyenne units so they must have been a pretty big tent.

4 Likes

The original had Cheyenne units that were renamed in an effort to make them more specifically the Lakota. The point remains - the faction depicted is the Lakota, not the full Oceti Sakowin.

They took out the Cheyenne because it was inaccurate. I’m not sure why you want to exclude the Dakota and Dakhota so badly. The game would benefit from the inclusion of more tribes.

That being said, a 7 tipi flag would look better, I just don’t like the one you linked. I made one that’s more like what you were describing:

1 Like

Because the original design doesn’t use the Dakota or Dakhota. Plus, neither of them were involved in Mahpiya Luta’s War - the tribes that fought there, which is what the faction is based on, are all of the Lakota.

Also, that is amazing. I love it. I absolutely think that should be the design.

2 Likes

“Chinese units (including native warriors and mercenaries except the Manchu mercenary horse archer, who speaks the unrelated Manchu language) speak Mandarin, but some of them have regional or ethnic influences”
(For the specific examples click the Link)

Chinese is a bad refference point, since its a multi-ethnic state with a millenia spanning agricultural society… Its like the opposite of Lakota

2 Likes

To be fair, many civilizations in aoe3 are umbrella civs for factions that share very little more than language. This is the way the game was designed. We could surely go down the route of aoe2 where every little nobleman gets his own civ, but that would break the uniqueness of civs.

2 Likes