Let's talk about Italy (again)

I don’t know, I guess if you also change his appearance to make him look like carabineros, the bonus might be nice, but maybe it could be confusing. I stand by what I said, I don’t know.

I would prefer that the developers improve the bersagliere, I don’t think the pavisier is a good unit to use in the long term, especially because of its cost in wood, which makes it a unit that should not be highlighted beyond Age III, but this is just my opinion.

I think it would be better to ask that the bersagliere be improved, instead of arguing about the pavisier.

2 Likes

Yes, but should Italy be an infantry civilization? I think it would be better if it were a cavalry civ.

After all, you have guaranteed access to two mercenary cavalry units, the Mounted Rifleman and the Royal Horseman. Italy also has the papal lancer from the basilica and then the carabinieri as the unique technology of the church.

Personally I just wish I could use papal units more. The system right now is just terrible. Spend tons of res for 6 units that take forever to arrive and take up card sending time bad. They simply need to send more units—you can up the cost if needed but right now it’s missing needed tempo. Shipments of them should also be added to age 3. Lancers and “early Zouaves” would be preferable.

3 Likes

Just make the Papal units trainable from the Bassilica and give them a low build limit to prevent spamming.

3 Likes

Perhaps the number of papal units that we receive from shipments should be tied to something, for example to the number of basilicas, another option is to have us players determine the number of units that we are going to receive.

Either way works for me. I just want to actually use them.

I think it must be a civilization focused on something, now it only has units that range between bad and decent without standing out. I guess the Bersagliere has the potential to be a good skirm if given a buff to its HP.

Likewise, I think that it would be the simplest and most effective solution, or give them a shipping queue different from the official metropolis shipments. I think the problem is the papal spearmen, a nerf to these would make it more viable for the papal units to be more purchasable

It still doesn’t work!? I didn’t even know. Terrible.

Yes, like Malta by the way.

By the way, you knew that if you revolutionized from Italy to the USA, then you would build carabinieri with 1.5 vs Outlaw& And also spies with rifles against the Mercenaries?)))) This is the only nation that gives this. Very sad.

This is a completely different gameplay) Italy plays through looting, like Mexico hah!

It seems to me that according to the developers’ idea, Italy should be played with a crazy mix of ALL units, including papal ones. Without using concentrations of any of them. The problem is that they don’t have enough deck for this.

So 27 damage at age 5 is not weak enough for you?

They’re not amazing, but they’re definitely the most useable of the papal units. The “not elmetti” are really solid but batches of 3 is impossible to use in practice.

Increases movement speed, but not shooting speed, that’s what I mean.

I wonder if the developers fixed malta’s revolutions, I seem to remember that they didn’t work well because malta doesn’t have barracks and stables. :slightly_smiling_face:

All papal supplies have an aura. Their task is not to fight but to support. So 3 lancers go on the attack together with the hussars, and not on their own.

I’ve never heard of such problems. What do you mean?

Excellent unit and definitely compliments the hussars (although it slows them down) but realistically I’d like batches of… 8-10? In that point of the game to really let them swing big fights.

2 Likes

They have in fact not.

None of the cards marked in red work correctly with Malta, but don’t worry, it’s not serious.

For example, the 12 crabat are supposed to be available in Taverns, Stables, Forts, Galleons, Detachments and Blockhouses, but this unit is not available in what is supposed to be its Maltese equivalent. The same thing happens with the Hajduks and Panduros cards.

Another error, although not very important, is on the Kovats Legion card, it is supposed to replace the hussar, but it does not affect the Maltese version.

Sadly I just checked, fortunately for the developers, these are not very serious errors.

2 Likes

But units are available at outposts. So revolutions work. Yes. Not as good as in other civilizations, but there are no serious problems))) And also the Maltese HP shipment upgrade works only on Maltese units, and does not work on revolutionary ones, while the Russian pop limit works on revolutions)) Yes, yes, I understand.

They should be fixed, and they could be quite easily I believe. And that is my issue.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your responses. I’m pleasantly surprised we are all in agreement on so many things and some great ideas!

4 Likes

Speaking of bersagliere… does anyone know if the Alpini card actually does what it says it does? It’s supposed to make bersagliere prioritise heavy infantry and ranged calvalry. I can’t say I’ve ever noticed any actual effect in game, but I guess I haven’t paid close enough attention.

I suspect that feature was supposed to be what justifies their high cost and late entry to the game :thinking:. Being able to automate light infantry micro sounds like it should be an insane buff.

Imagine how slippery of a slope it could be if the devs decided that auto micro was going to become a common upgrade or like a feature of a new civ or something… culvs that target cannons, pikes that ignore anything but cav, or cannons that automatically focus on infantry concentrations. Scary!

Weird that the bersagliere alpini upgrade seems so incidental.

I don’t think much thought was given to the civ roster to be honest. Its mostly forced and very bland. These cards read like they were designed by someone who hadn’t played the game much or that they were just out of ideas. Same with roman tactics. So many italian cards come too late to be useful, Bers are perfectly representative of the civ in that way.

For the basilica units I suggested a solution in a previous thread. Make the Papal units into natives and mix them with appropriate mercs (so “not Elmetti” just become Elmetti, etc):