Lucifron's disgusting trick, to avoid a stockade

I just used the scenario editor in AoE 2 DE to generate 10 different Arena maps, and none of them had straggler trees in the walls for either player. I tried removing the trees that were there, and it wouldn’t let me place a palisade over any trees that would let me into the base.

2 Likes

The purpose of walls is to delay the opponent and allow you time to position your army, which is elsewhere as that is why you built the wall.

It can be argued that the cost and health of the walls should be changed. If the pace of the game would slow too much.

However, the purpose of a wall seems greatly undermined if you need to build an archery range and say 4-8 archers to 1-2 shot a villager stationed next to walls that can only realistically connect to woodlines (if there are no cliffs or Edge of map). Mongols with forestry can one chop pass through trees? You might not want to even build archers at this stage.

May as well not bother with the walls at all. I don’t want a walling festival with several layers either but this does not sound right to me.

I have seen very defensive strategies, in king of the hill, that suit some civilizations so, in that case, it would be good to be able to cut down the tree around the palisade

1 Like

I apologize for the title, which is somewhat offensive, it was simply to draw attention

Anyway, thanks for the update :slightly_smiling_face:, now please close the thread