Magyars Need a buff

Yeah, I know. I totally agree that the tech isn’t supposed to help in the Castle age, and I’m not even suggesting that it should change. I’m just stating what I believe to be fact, that the Magyars are the most fragile in Castle age, and that the main problem with their castle age is a lack of power to win map control back.

I’m not stating this is an issue that needs to be fixed. I’m not saying any of that. I’m saying that if anything does need to be changed, it should be Corvinian Army. Seems like an odd thing to just “say” but it’s just what I see.

I have an unconditional eco buff idea for Magyars.
(I have posted about their transitions before, such as making military buildings techs cheaper /faster, and other ideas. they are my most played civ)
But I’ve got an Eco idea.
Make farms 2 by 2 tiles for them!
Hear me out! The during farming walking distance is still the same (vils already only use only 4 tiles out of the 9) but the drop of distance would be reduced which boosts their eco in late feudal and castle, until hand cart is researched, at which point it won’t make a bid difference.
It would also allow for safer vils and less mills, all of which fits into their aggressive play style. I think it’s a great idea!

When did Hungarians have good farmers?

How about double layer farms? It effects a little bit so I will await for Spirit of the Law video for it.

Maybe Farm bonus bad idea because cheap with scouts it’s strong.

They aren’t weak nor difficult to play but they would benefit from a bonus like having cavalry take less bonus damage from pikes and halberdiers.

This actually, have been proposed several times, for several civs, and it was always discarded because it would incredibly OP.

I think instead that giving them a really small eco bonus it’s enaugh, like animals don’t rot. This would allow for more flexibility in the early game, like putting a vill less on sheeps or boar, or avoid wasting food on deers.

1 Like

I wouls just like to see the one hit to wolves buff for villagers to be extended to all magyar units.

They are not super strong as a civ, but they are fine. But this bonus is just useless. If it were to extend to all units at least it would give them a very safe drush and help on maps like golden pit.

One other thing id like to see is for them to get squires to really become the bare bones civ with few boni but all the options.

This one has a serious (though edgy) complication of how this “bonus” would interact with almost any other civ. Plus it can break some custom maps since they use rotting animal as a pseudo timer on the map. I’d argue this “bonus” is more like a game breaking feature so it would not be included.

You’d like to argue Mayan has that longer lasting resource bonus and it works just fine. But rotting animal imo is a totally different Beast, touching basic game mechanic.

3 Likes

Mmm true, I didn’t thought of that. But it’s also true that after a bit players may learn to adjust to that… magyars wouldn’t be the only civ with a bonus that changes some core mechanics, it would be like huns and kmers.

What about giving them 20% discount on scout line instead of 15%? That equates to saving only 4 more food (68–>64). It would give more of an incentive to be very aggressive to get early villager kills to nullify your opponent’s eco bonus.

So you necroed this thread just to say you think -4 food = people would be more incentivized to do Magyar things with the Magyars? Uh that’s kinda peculiar?

They don’t need anything to enhance their scout rush, it’s already one of the best in the game.

However devs can probably do something about their wolf bonus. It’s just useless since DE… A good way to address this can be :

• Villagers kill wild animals in one strike ; Wild animals are more presents on the map.

With hidden numbers like 100% more predators in 1v1, 50% in team game. (For exemple that would make 8 wolfs instead of 4 on 1v1 Arabia.)
In this configuration predators could also spawn a little bit closer to starting TC.
It would exclude the map Wolf Hill.

I think it won’t change a lot of things, but it could give them a more unique identity and finally a use for this. Opponent will have to take this in consideration before sneak vils or drush, protecting Magyars fragile early eco, and on the other side will let them commit in less predictable and fun strats.

In comparaison I like to play against/with Lithuanians because when they are involved, you have to take relics in consideration at one point and it introduce an other strategic layer in the game. Playing Magyars could be more unique in that way too, with an other small strategic aspect to take in account when they’re involved.

What about change wolf bonus, instead one hit kill, magyqr vils can convert wolfs like sheeps. Wolf Rush!

The changes I would suggest is:

1. Magyars Huszars cost 100F 0G naturally.
  2. Cheaper scout bonus affects Huszars too.

Explanation: I did not suggest to directly make Huszars cost 85F is because the difference will be negligible in Full Tech Tree games when regular Hussars also cost 80F.

1. Corvinian Army: Cavalry Archers -66% frame delay.

It doesn’t change the identity of the civ as a light Cavalry + Cavalry Archer Civilization, though you can argue that both their UTs buff their Cavalry Archers, which isn’t a problem if you think about Vikings. Earlier both their UTs benefitted their UU, which was awkward.

Imagine balancing around full tech tree mode.

Let’s give the best CA in the game less frame delay than mangudai, what could go wrong?

9 Likes

This is the first time I see someone trying to balance all tech mode lmao.

4 Likes

It will give them the best Cav Archers by far, even Mangudai will not be able to compete, and Magyars will just dominate any Imp Age fight against anyone that lacks Siege Ram.

4 Likes

Well, even who has it, considering they good cav and the anti siege bonus…

5 Likes

How often do you see micro in big scale fights? There are just 2 armies mashed against each other.

Why micro when your Cav Archer get +1 Range (Composite Bow) and get -66% frame delay with your changes?

Long Range Machinegun Cavalry Archers!
It would actually be quite too strong, and the Corvinian Army UT is already good as it is.

1 Like