Map of Civilisations not in AoE 2 (as of December 2022)

On the wiki, I have a concept for a Caucasus expansion adding them, the Georgians, the Armenians, and the Alans. Those three I just mentioned all use a new Caucasian architecture set that’s also given to the Byzantines and Bulgarians.

1 Like

Yeah, it fine for me…

Interesting. I feel like I could write something similar about many other civs (obviously replacing the word nomadic in a lot of cases), so I’m not sure I really understand the issue.

1 Like

Nomadic people are all the same because horseys and bows while we need even more Western european people with knights and castles and armors and so much variety wow.
I guess.

7 Likes

What about the Mongol wonder? It’s functionally fictional given what it represents.

Same

Nah, that would just be another overcrowded architecture set. Personally I’d make one set for those three new civs and another one shared between Byzantines, Bulgarians and a potential Wallachian civ (also so the Eastern European set doesn’t get too crowded)

That’s probably it, but I didn’t want to infer anything, especially since I’ve never known anyone object to Cumans before. I had in mind things like this:

Italians were not a united people and the design for them could have been given to any other seafaring people during that era.

Teutons were not a united people and the design for them could have been given to any other European feudal society during that era.

Celts were not a united people and the design for them makes barely any sense for them or anyone else in any era.

And so on.

I find “not a united people” a particularly weird objection, because I don’t believe anyone would argue that Greeks should not be in AoE1.

This doesn’t bother me because:

• Wonders are hardly ever built.
  • The Huns’ and Cumans’ wonders look cool.
  • Even when there are clearly appropriate possibilities for wonders, the devs sometimes do something weird instead (e.g. Slavs, Britons).
3 Likes

Im yet to see any suggestions for a proper Hun wonder.

What does “proper” mean? The Huns’ and Cumans’ wonders already fit your criteria of not being made up fantasy buildings.

How are ruins of buildings proper wonders?

Clearly I can’t answer that until you define what you mean by “proper”. The only criterion you’ve given is not being a made up fantasy building, which they aren’t.

Because the Huns & Cumans are both nomads who are not known for their construction of elaborate buildings.
They don’t HAVE a building to use for a wonder.

3 Likes

Exactly such civis should not have been added.This is the main reason why some are suggesting civis like eskimos.

I found something interesting in the German Wikipedia article on Attila: The Eastern Roman historian Priscos mentioned that Attila resided in a “magnificent wooden palace” (the English version, however, only says “great house”).

Unfortunately, the description of the building is extremely sparse. Any reconstruction would be purely fictional. This is a great pity, as it would certainly have made a beautiful wonder :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

I’m still confused about your objection. Why does not having a known large building to base a wonder on mean they shouldn’t have been added?

That’s a very niche suggestion, and I don’t think lack of a suitable wonder is the best argument against it.

1 Like

I hate to be that guy, but AoE2 is a game about warfare first and architectural prowess… someplace far from second. Cultural and artistic achievement are a nice plus, but they shouldn’t be a prerequisite to be in the game.

4 Likes

Well like it or not, the Huns and Cumans are in. Not sure why you have a problem with Cumans, Huns I get due to lack of info and timeline issues. But Cumans?

Also I have never seen anyone suggest eskimos. Don’t exaggerate, it makes you and your point look ridiculous.

3 Likes

It’s actually the AoE saga in general…in AoE 3 you have the Lakota, who are pure teepees and don’t have walls until the 4th age…

I did it this way so that the number of new architecture sets that would have to be introduced at once is limited. In any case, the Imperial Age Caucasian architecture is based on Byzantine styles.

I decided that if new architecture styles are introduced in the future, that civs with those styles should not have unique castle designs, since that would mean even more work for the devs.

1 Like

I don’t see the problem. The Forgotten added two more.

1 Like

The Forgotten doesn’t have complex and realistic destruction animations or HD graphics.