Maps and Minor Civs imbalance by region

Have you had the blessing of history and geography on school? My opinion about under representation comes from how a specific region is divided and how many of their peoples are represented. That would be like saying an area is well represented if it only have 2 maps and 1 native because 2 : 1 = one native per two maps. It doesnt make any sense.

Yes, asia with only 6 holy sites is under represented, but not because of a ratio of how many maps per native there are but because there are more ethnic groups to be represented and even more geographical areas. In south america, there were fewer maps and fewer natives, so it had the worst representation. Now there are 4 new maps for the region and a new native, making it 12 maps and 4 natives.

Now, the reason I didnt include them in the beginning was because the Kalinago people, the Caribs of the Caribbean islands, were a separate entity that the Caribs of South America (altough they are related), so I counted them as North America but now they have been firmly stablished to represent more groups.

2 Likes

Caribs were always on orinco and Amazonia since the beginning of AoE III.

Maps are based on interessting geography or possibly a cool new map, it doesnt make sense to have 10 maps of the amazon with one small difference.

If Australia got 2 maps and 1 native I would say they are pretty well represented.

The game has always been incosistent with the placement of natives, it has maya in those maps too and even now it has added zapotecs to south america. But it is true that caribs are SA natives too.

Im not sure about australia tho, i can imagine at least 4 maps for the region being the bare minimun. But if you see the divide of north american and african maps you can clearly see more detailed selections.

Maybe not 10, but amazon is divided now in 4 maps

4 Likes

Come to think of it, both the Yao/Zhuang peoples and the Hmong/Tujia peoples are more fit for the western parts of Southern China and Parallel Rivers. There could be another minor civ for the eastern part of Southern China, and I propose the She/Hakka peoples. Their unique unit would be called Flag Bearer, which would be kind of similar to pikeman but has a higher ranged resistance.

Historically speaking, the She/Hakka peoples inhabiting the hilly areas of Fujian and eastern Guangdong were recruited by the Ming to suppress local rebellions and to fight off the Wokou. And they brought with them their signature weapon, the war flag. Itā€™s a flag mounted on a pole with iron hooks attached. The flag was sewn with five or six pieces of cotton cloths, and was said to be able to deflect incoming arrows, stones, and projectiles from early firearms like handgonne and arquebus. One flag was enough to provide cover for a couple dozens of fighting men. The flag could also be used offensively to hook enemyā€™s clothing with its iron hooks, distracting the enemy.

Hereā€™s my reference and inspiration:
The bare-footed militia of Changning | Great Ming Military

1 Like

Asian Countries in them selves are Extremely Diverse. Cant cover each of them but.

As for India, Deccan is not the whole India, Its just a Part of it.

ā€“Trans Himalaya - Cold dessert (Youngest Mountain range in world)
ā€“Thar Dessert - Hot Dessert (with Oldest Fold Mountain range in the world)
ā€“Andaman Nicobar - Strategic Islands
ā€“Western Ghats - Extremely bio-diverse Dense Tropical Forests
ā€“Lakshadweep - Islands
ā€“Gangatic Plains - Most fertile plains (Ganga and Yamuna Flows)
ā€“Bengal (Ganga Basin) - Fertile river basin
ā€“North East - Dense Forests, Water rish lands n hills, extremely diverse many Tribes
ā€“Punjab (Geographically divided in India+Pakistan) - lush greenish
ā€“Central Highlands - Moderate Climate

Apart from geography, these further can be categorized/sub-categorized/grouped on the basis of....

Languages and Dialects (unintelligible/intelligible) / cultures / food / history etc:

P.S : The scope is similar for other asian countries.

3 Likes

Perhaps more maps will arrive in future dlcs;fe:from the Middle East and East Asiaā€¦

1 Like

Most likely,in a Middle Eastern dlc will come Persia and Omanā€¦the leader of Persia would be Abbas the Great (1571-1629) and of Oman would be Said bin Sultan (1791-1856)ā€¦the other two would be the Durrani Empire (1747-1826) and the Bukhara Khanate (1506-1785)ā€¦

1 Like

Abbas the Great (1571-1629):he faced several wars against the Ottomans on 3 occasions:1588-1590,1603-1618 and 1623 until his death,he captured Hormuz in 1622 from the Portuguese with the help of the East India Company and Baghdad in 1624 from the Ottomans after 90 years of Ottoman controlā€¦modernized Persia, giving a boost to Persian art and cultureā€¦

Said bin Sultan (1791-1856),came to power in 1804 after the death of his fatherā€¦during his reign he expanded Omani power throughout East Africa between 1820 and 1843,conquering Kenya in 1837 and establishing various relations with the powers of the time such as the United States in 1830 and France in 1844.

1 Like

Itā€™s a bit confusing. Apparently the Caribs and the Arawaks are two sides of the same coin, but they are also different at the same time. However, the term arawak is better suited to those who are from the mainland.

1 Like

I wanna suggest Ainus, Okinawans and maybe Matagis for Japanese maps.

incrĆ­vel analise @PratUshh

1 Like

I want to thank the developers here for listening to our suggestions, from us Latin American fans of the AOE 3 series, and having changed the native Inca settlements to Quechua, changing their names and keeping the units, because this practical way out, as simple as it may seem, gives the game much more realism, and shows the reality of the Andes at the time. I also come to thank you for removing the guanacos from the map of Bahia, which was a complaint from me and other Brazilian players, and for adding very important maps, with Mexico, Bahia and Minas Gerais. I would like to make a suggestion: the Zapotecs should be removed from the South American landscapes, namely, the Orinoco, the Andes and the Amazon, where I identified them, and from all the South American maps, as they were never present here, and their architecture does not reflect the architecture of the region. New natives may be added in the future, from Pano Indians, to JĆŖs (such as the Kaingang and PataxĆ³), Arawaks (who were originally from the Orinoco, including, and occupied large lands, including the Tainos of the Caribbean and South America, who were enemies of the Carib, present in the game. The Aruaks, in the form of the Tainos, could easily take the place of the Zapotecs in the Orinoco, in the Amazon, and could be present in the Caribbean and Hispaniola), charruas, Patagones, Guaranis. Quilombos, which were groups of black slaves who fled from their masters and created small African states free from Bantu or Yoruba organizations in the interior of Brazil, where the martial art of capoeira probably originated, having evolved from the game of the Bantu zebra, could give an original beauty to the game. Any of these peoples would add realism to maps and would better represent South America. Another thing is Tupi architecture. The Tupi inhabited long communal houses, identical in shape to those of the Huron settlements. The huts of the Tupi natives could be replaced by Huron longhouses with thatched texture, and the Tupi architecture would be perfect! Adding small canopies with hammocks and hammocks with mosquito nets could give the Tupi a lot more realism too, and remove some of the clothes of the natives from the work animations in the village (maybe all of it is bad for the age range of the game, but at least it leaves men and women with loincloths, like the male Aztec villagers, or with straw skirts, as was done with the Tupi archers.The Caribs would also look more realistic with loincloths, or without clothes.

1 Like

There were peoples of Carib languages, with many aspects of the culture in common and similar languages, both in the Caribbean and in the north and even the center of South America. from the north of South America. If we donā€™t include only the Tainos, in the branch of the Aruaks, people with this common cultural substrate inhabited South America from the north to the center as well, in addition to the Caribbean.
I think it would make sense to add more maps about the Amazon region, yes. The current map of the river in the middle, with small lands on either side to house players, is very boring and doesnā€™t show the entirety of the region. There were many regions of extensive land, where it was very difficult to find a river, a true green sea, where there were only trees and trees. Rubber trees and cacao trees could be sources of gold and riches, rather than metal mines, and there could be tree-filled maps with small clearings where players would be, as well as swampy maps with several smaller rivers running through the middle and can be kept the current flat map.

1 Like

Mayans should be removed from south american maps too.

Also, Iā€™m assuming youā€™re Brazilian. I am, too.

Edit: Also, the Quechua shouldnā€™t be in the Amazon map.

4 Likes

Yes Iā€™m brazilian! Itā€™s good to know thereā€™s a fellow countryman in the community!
Indeed, although the Mayans were good navigators, their vessels were not of great quality, and not as advanced as the Incas. It makes no sense that there are Mayans in South America. Actually, I havenā€™t found Mayans on South American maps until now, but I have found Zapotecs, which I think is even worse, the Zapotecs were people very connected to their lands of Oaxaca. As for the Quechuas, like the Inca empire in its Antisuyu state, they had cities in the high Amazon jungle, which borders the Andes, and they had Inca fortresses and citadels that dominated the villages and cities of the Amazon peoples, from a small stretch of the low jungle, there were a certain Inca presence in the Amazon, since a narrow strip of the forest was part of the Inca state of Antisuyu. So, there may have been Quechua settlements there, brought by the emperorā€™s mitmies. Even if there were no Quechua people there, there would still be Quechua Andean populations who would speak Quechua and would be influenced by Quechua culture. An example, I cite below, of ruins of Andean peoples found in the state of RondĆ“nia, in Brazil.

3 Likes

Mayans and Zapotecs show up in Amazon, and in Orinoco too iirc.

I see this as the developers compromising between having lots of maps without adding in new minor civs. Why? Idk more minor civs seem like they could be a lot of fun gameplay wise.

1 Like

Could be they donā€™t want units to double up roles?
Like each native unit has a standard unit counterpart. But I feel there is still room to expand there.

1 Like

Thatā€™s definitely not it. Klamath and Cherokee Riflemen are exactly the same unit.

1 Like

Hardly. You can build 2 more Klamath riflemenā€¦ā€¦

No, I didnā€™t know that. Thatā€™s so lame. When there is so much they could of done with them to make them different from each other. Bulky vs attack, melee vs range armour, faster vs different cost or any other combo

1 Like