Massive layoffs at Relic

To be fair, its extremely hard to make a rts and they probably don’t even have the budget or time to release a bug free and perfectly balanced game (the best players aren’t developers) so they need to accumulate stats and let people play the game a bit with a big amount of players for them to be able to balance it.

I understand the balance isn’t great at launch, but it shouldn’t be horrible either, that’s what a beta is for.

I think players are just becoming more picky.

They expect asymetric games that are perfectly balanced at launch, but compare to older games that have been patched for 10 years, without acknowledging that they is no asymmetry at all or that the games were also very unbalanced at first but people didn’t care at that time.

I think if players didn’t review bomb the games (CoH3), and instead tried to give constructive feedback on forums (which we know devs have been listening to for AoE4), it would actually help the games sell more and maybe prevent massive layoffs.

Sure CoH3 isn’t a perfect release and has many issues, but im sure most of these are fixable and they probably just need a bit of time, definitely doesn’t deserve a 37% rating.

1 Like

The people impacted by this are obviously not OK. This is the ultimate outcome of how the company has been operating. Relic has been a pit of disappointment and troubles for a long, long time. The recent issues with CoH3 and the lack of transparency in how they tackled it is just shameful.

Unfortunately, something is very deeply rotten about that company. Whether it is management, executives, who knows and who cares–it is now falling apart due to that very rotten foundation. Incredibly sad to see the talented workers be influenced in this manner.

There is an audience interested in this genre and these games. Relic dropping the ball consistantly has seemingly been the result of systematic failures that I am hoping gets exposed in the future years to come.

2 Likes

Exactly my thoughts as well.

Anyone thinking this was related to the recent studio performance, just have a look at how the whole gaming industry as a whole is panicking in the last year. It’s also a weird coincidence that this aligns pretty nice with the “end” of covid. Like, the end of a time span, where the whole entertainment sector was making big numbers because everyone was stuck at home. I say coincidence, because I just won’t believe the whole leadership of the business is so retarded to a) not see that coming and b) prepare for it.

Relic probably got a headcount worked out from some business dude and they had to shrink to this.

The layoffs here won’t help anyone, the work, that has to be done, won’t get less and so things will get more and more messy and I think CoH3 was already impacted by this, as I guess morale was busted already. Of course, just In the case, they weren’t told the day before.

Heads up, guys! Hope you land smoothly in a better place!

2 Likes

yup probably caused by coh poor development and launch which is deserved because the bugs and lack of progression compared to coh2 will affect aoe 4 because the lack of devs or employees who can care aoe 4 which is also a bad news. In anyway restructuration sucks for everyone

2 Likes

I literally said this likely wasn’t it, but eh.

It literally implied by this line which is true because coh launch was disatrous. even there an comparation graphically and bug recopilation like this one in meme video from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcLhMOo6Kck.
and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUrZrr7WbD0
which says everything about coh 3 state.

1 Like

Let me play it back again for you:

As in, the game could’ve done well, terrible, average, good, brilliant. Doesn’t matter. They didn’t take CoH 3 underperforming as a reason to nuke a bunch of roles across various project teams. They didn’t lay off AoE IV staff because of CoH 3.

They have shrunk the operational size of the studio. It’s not a per-game thing.

1 Like

I think you are drawing the wrong lesson from history.

Layoffs can happen for ridiculous reasons, companies sometimes kill the goose that lays golden eggs ≠ layoffs are random and determined by a dice roll.

For a specific example close to what you described, it’s indeed common in the game industry to lay off much of a team after the completion of a massive multi-year project, regardless of the project’s success, because in the company’s estimate, these workers are only hired for this one project, and are no longer needed afterwards. That doesn’t logically mean such layoffs happen every single time after a big project, or every mass layoff is such a situation.

3 Likes

yup because that means the posibility that coh3 was made to suck and just be a cash grab. If thats the case with just hired temp employees which says a lot how relic treats rts n general and it’s laziness if that’s true

2 Likes

I agree completely. However, these layoffs don’t fit this pattern, in my opinion.

They laid people off that had been at the studio close to twenty years. And by “they”, I mean SEGA.

Please stop claiming things that have no basis in reality.

1 Like

Really unfortunate. Best of luck to the folk who lost their jobs. These things tend to come out of nowhere. 121 out of 300+ is significant and now the workload is about to increase for those that remain. Just a tough situation all around for everyone.

1 Like

Unfortunate but expected. That happens when you release 2 games with low quality standards.

5 Likes

It seems that they need to listen to actual fans and less “community conslcils”

8 Likes

It’s sad for all the people affected by this and I hope the best for these people. And regarding AoEIV, I really hope that this won’t effect the game in any way, I really love this game and it has gotten much much better since launch and would hate to see this game die due to this.

Hopefully we get some clarification in a few days what this means going forward for AoEIV as a whole.

1 Like

he should be payed a few months salaries, no?
I mean, financially it’s better to be fired, than to retired on your own.

This is why I would never work without a union…

True. I did not have that big of a problem with balance, my problem was about the UI and the poor design all around (the game feels like a mobile AOE)

1 Like

Just one question ;
Is AOE4 one of there core game?

or they will be focus on COH3 (i don’t like COH3)

1 Like