Massive layoffs at Relic

No the relic is gone it’s not from them, it’s from me, they did not say that, their involvement is true though

Well if the “everything we’ve announced” is meant to be limiting then that would contradict the “continue as planned” since we know there are things planned that have not been announced. At least according to the recent interview with FE.

Think its bullshit microsoft hides everything from the player base. We should know there plans for the next year.

Would be better support if people that are working on the game can even talk about it.

At least talk about what there working on and trying to do

I may be the only one in this thread who has already lived through the death of an AoE title. Actually, I’ve lived through the birth, life, and death of two games — AoEO and AoE:Castle Siege, from unfinished release, active development and large community engagement campaign, to development slowdown, development stoppage, post-development skeleton crew support, and finally total sundown.

To anyone with a vested interest in the continued release of new civs and other big content, please take heed: Trust your gut and take nothing for granted. Devs are at least several months ahead of us.

When they go quiet, it may actually be because things have gone quiet.

When they promise something, they chose their words very carefully. So read them very carefully.

“Development” of aoe4 does not necessarily mean new civs. Continuing things “as planned” doesn’t necessarily mean new civs. “Delivering everything we’ve announced” certainly doesn’t mean new civs.

The words you are looking for, which have never been uttered, are “we are making new civs.”

If there’s no updated roadmap, then the rebuttable presumption is that it is because there truly is no road map anymore. We have had roadmaps before in AoEO and AoE:CS. When they stopped telling us about the future, they never did so again.

If there were new civs coming, wouldn’t it have been a great idea to say that at any point between last October and now?

14 Likes

If we are to assume that they will announce new civilizations a year aftrer the first pair, then this really sucks for the users with the current dev-player situation.

It means they have a whole year as a buffer time to effectively disappoint us. What I mean is, say in 2 years from now they decide to not release more civilizations–they obviously will not tell us.

That means many will wait for a year for… nothing.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This communication is dreadful. I don’t know what the situation is at their offices, who is working with community management and who is deciding what gets put out there, but this entire thing is just as pleasant as hugging a cactus.

It doesn’t have to be this way. I would think the audience for this genre is mature enough to handle the developers being real with us about what is going on. What I don’t appreciate is this “game” of them omitting information at every corner in various attempts to steer the audience. We’re customers, not children to be manipulated.

2 Likes

At this point, we don’t know if FE can takeover the development of AoE 4. Their team is already stretch accross multiple AoE games, and the engine behind AoE 4 is a completely different one compare to what they have been working on (and it’s also a bad one imo)

1 Like

Take a look at aoe2 and aoe3 there not the best either. They all have there good and bad points.

I play aoe4 cause to me its the best engine with game play

AOE2 got the best micro!
Because of that the gameplay is full of action, not boring boom.
It has the most active player base, more streamers, casuals, tourneys etc.

AOE3 got the best variety!
Lots of cards to choose from to boost civs, unique units, skills, and the most beautiful fauna and biome.

AOE4 got the worst UI in AOE franchise
It has nothing good for a game that has released in late 2021…
The graphics are still no good, but after the update a little better.
Fauna and biome are still not satisfactory for such a modern game…
Still no additional Gaia animals…

4 Likes

Hi Andy, for me the main problem It was not trying to buy Relic, FE or Tantalus. Development partnerships could bring this kind of risk.
Personally i was waiting for new graphic DLC, new campagna and civilizations and looking forward, and AOE5 set in the ancient times: playing The new return to Rome DLC) remembered me how beautiful are the ancient times (i’m italian and this could be a reason behind all the love for this period).

At this point i’m not so confident. XBOX needs to buy RTS developers. Hope to see blizzard soon. They made a stunning job with Diablo4 and i’m sure they’re working on StarCraft 3. They have 4 big team (800 people). Two of them could work on RTS: Warcraft, StarCraft and Age of Empires).

Cysion, FE’s lead, said in that interview that they have a supporting role, Relic has the last word.

3 Likes

Essence is a really cool and powerful editor (this is coming from a gamedev and current aoe4 mod developer)

1 Like

I would never say never but the chances of them giving us a graphical update DLC to AoEIV is very slim to none at this point. The most likely thing to happen is Season 5, providing with textural updates and things of that nature.

Until we get a new roadmap, I’ll worry about the future of AoEIV.

It has nothing good? really?
You are so over reacting and making AoEIV sound like the worst game in existance. It has become much much better over the years compared to launch and anyone who denies that is just choosing to ignore those facts.

Does the game still have issues and stuff that we want to see in game? of course and that will probably never change, but right now lets just hope that this does not effect the future of AoEIV and until I see a new roadmap, I will worry about AoEIV future because that statement they gave us was not clear.

I sincerely believe that the future of this franchise is bright. Every year, more and more of our lifelong players are getting more and more involved in development. Forgotten Empires is the future.

We need content that feels like natural evolutions of our games, and people who have grown up playing our games have an unfair advantage over anyone else in the industry.

3 Likes

If there is no roadmap after the Xbox event, all the alarms would go off.

I see four roadmaps over the years:

1. Fall 2021 to Spring 2022
  2. March 2022 to July 2022
  3. June 2022 to November 2022
  4. October 2022 to February 2023 and “Later in 2023”

Each roadmap overlapped with the one before it, so there has been a continual stream of announced development since release through this February.

It has been almost four months since February. I do not know why we should now expect roadmaps to be released at different intervals, such as during the xbox event, which is two weeks from now.

It’s almost not even worth speculating since we can just wait the two weeks and see. But for me, the alarms are already going off.

I’d say that if we don’t get any new roadmap or confirmation by the team in two weeks, then that pretty much confirms that AoEIV is having internal issues within the team. Let’s hope that this is not the end for this game, this game has so much potential still to be had.

1 Like

Extremely non-userfriendly is the best description for this “Essence” editor xD

2 Likes

Yes, it isn’t like the game will just curl up immediately.
People are often too cynical.

I will add more to the list

more unique units that are worth to use and train unlike we have today
more variety on civ boost and just not like we got fortress as 2nd age as the best bonus
more variety in sp and jut not the og campaign we got
more options on hotkeys that is noit limited to grid system and one can custom
more gaia herdables animals. even on aom we could get some pigs instead of sheep
more options on age up. age up mechanic variety ius what makes the unique most civs
a better civ design that is not a copy paste from aoe 2 if they meant to be assymetrical (a civ with a basic pre loaded card system or a one simplified would be welcoming for aoe 3 players
for some folks navy is on the liost which it seems it didnt work the rework
better pathfinding
the thing goes goes goes …

1 Like