[Merged] Will AoE: DE be available on Steam?

They don’t owe us anything; it’s their IP.

Vote w/ your wallet if you must. It will be more constructive than making more threads complaining about it here.

I’d rather read what you have to say about the game itself or your fun memories of previous AoE games.

@Augustusman said:
You bite the bait

You make it so tasty.

@Augustusman said:
The people don’t understand this, M$ is playing with your nostalgia, they don’t care AoE.
You see the other forums?
I’m. Very disappointed with this DE. AoE was my favorite.
I Don’t care a such thing like a war between stores but the gaming industry these days they are very greedy.

But we all know this, this changes nothing.

Nostalgia is a powerful drug… Now pass the pipe.

Also on a serious note, that’s kinda harsh on the Forgotten team who clearly love AoE just as much if not more than you or I do.

@WhiteWitcher311 said:
Rise of Nations EE is a crossplay game.

Fair point - However, that’s an old game, which was released originally on steam. I just can’t see it happening with a new one released on the M$ store.

@“Helios Ra” said:

@WhiteWitcher311 said:
Rise of Nations EE is a crossplay game.

Fair point - However, that’s an old game, which was released originally on steam. I just can’t see it happening with a new one released on the M$ store.
They won’t probably even release them on steam. And they’re right. Ubisoft releases their games on uplay, EA on Origin. I don’t know why people hate Windows Store even though it’s integrated on W10, even though they have to download Uplay and Origin to play Ubisoft and EA games.

Is marketing. Stop be nostalf… , be pissed by gane isn’t released in steam?

I prefer passed by other things like Win10 creators update only, or minimum specs…

Forgotten team makes AoE mod The forgotten as free mod , not a DLC, so Ms make the temptation(money)
And they fell.

@Augustusman said:
Forgotten team makes AoE mod The forgotten as free mod , not a DLC, so Ms make the temptation(money)
And they fell.

They went pro.

If you have to be like that; Don’t hate the player hate the game.

@“Helios Ra” said:

@Augustusman said:
And they fell.

They went pro.

If you have to be like that; Don’t hate the player hate the game.

You are assuming things here. I don’t hate player. Wtf…

It’s sad that the game forces windows 10 and dx11. Windows 10 has a horrible privacy policy and I don’t want to install it on all of my machines.

@Augustusman said:

You said “And they fell” directly after referencing the Forgotten peeps - The only thing I can see that you could be referring to is the people of Forgotten Empires, who… (drama)fell from the heavens of mod-land and into the festering filth-pool of actually being paid for their work.(/drama).

Forgotten are the players - don’t hate just 'cos they getting paid.

That’s what I was getting at, was that such an off assumption?

@“Helios Ra” said:

@Augustusman said:

You said “And they fell” directly after referencing the Forgotten peeps - The only thing I can see that you could be referring to is the people of Forgotten Empires, who… (drama)fell from the heavens of mod-land and into the festering filth-pool of actually being paid for their work.(/drama).

Forgotten are the players - don’t hate just 'cos they getting paid.

That’s what I was getting at, was that such an off assumption?
Isn’t hate, is because I Don’t like paid mods.

By the way… what was those drama?

@JudgedJungle70 said:
It’s sad that the game forces windows 10 and dx11. Windows 10 has a horrible privacy policy and I don’t want to install it on all of my machines.

Forces creators update…
But is worse install 20 gb of 4K renders…

Yes, gotta satisfy all 3 members of the potential player base who actually own a 4K monitor.

This game is hostage to many unfortunate MS directives. Windows store is the worst of those, but the decision to focus development on 4K also shows confusion on the part of MS as to who is going to play this game. 4k won’t make the millions of 15yr olds who are the coveted #wideraudience switch from DOTA2 to this, but it will sure as ■■■■ alienate some of your core audience who see a game go from a 500mb install to a 20gb one.

@Augustusman said:

Hilarious statement you dirty Bolshevik…

I’ve labelled you a commie.

@“Helios Ra” said:

@Augustusman said:

Hilarious statement you dirty Bolshevik…

I’ve labelled you a commie.

Wrong I’m national socii…

@Catbarf2012 said:
Yes, gotta satisfy all 3 members of the potential player base who actually own a 4K monitor.

This game is hostage to many unfortunate MS directives. Windows store is the worst of those, but the decision to focus development on 4K also shows confusion on the part of MS as to who is going to play this game. 4k won’t make the millions of 15yr olds who are the coveted #wideraudience switch from DOTA2 to this, but it will sure as hell alienate some of your core audience who see a game go from a 500mb install to a 20gb one.

4K textures are NOT exclusive to 4K monitors. Improvements of texture resolution are still visible on lower resolution screens (they’re just less defined).

While it may be true that not many people are using 4K monitors, that doesn’t mean you won’t be able to see the visual benefits of 4K textures if you don’t own a 4K monitor. For example, if you have a 1080p monitor you can still make out improvements from 4K texture resolution in game.

Besides, they’re doing much more than just adding 4K textures.

@SuperShadowSage said:

@Catbarf2012 said:

This game is hostage to many unfortunate MS directives. Windows store is the worst of those, but the decision to focus development on 4K also shows confusion on the part of MS as to who is going to play this game. 4k won’t make the millions of 15yr olds who are the coveted #wideraudience switch from DOTA2 to this, but it will sure as hell alienate some of your core audience who see a game go from a 500mb install to a 20gb one.

4K textures are NOT exclusive to 4K monitors. Improvements of texture resolution are still visible on lower resolution screens (they’re just less defined).

While it may be true that not many people are using 4K monitors, that doesn’t mean you won’t be able to see the visual benefits of 4K textures if you don’t own a 4K monitor. For example, if you have a 1080p monitor you can still make out improvements from 4K texture resolution in game.

Besides, they’re doing much more than just adding 4K textures.

Like what, the code, I’m not sure, about the code must have less than 1Gb?

Code would be about 50mb max. Original game totalled less than 500mb, so logically everything above that is new art assets (graphic, music etc)

Let the game also come out on steam!!!

Many fan players will not buy or play this game if its only on the windows store.

We’ll see. Tbh, the fact that windows store is integrated into every copy of Windows 10 means that it’s way less hassle to actually get the game. Wanna know how I bought it?

1. Open the Store
  2. Type in “Age of Empires”
  3. Click on DE
  4. Click on Pre-Order
  5. Fill in payment info (only once)
  6. Pay
  7. ???
  8. Profit!
    Literally took me just as much time as it would have on Steam, and now I don’t need to deal with Steamworks DRM, either. People who are serious about AoE will buy it regardless. Steam used to be total crap when HL2 came out, and it was a train wreck for a few years there, anyways.

I don’t get why people are turning this into a big deal. It’s like, 5 minutes of your time, and the Store comes pre-installed with every copy of Windows 10…relax. Besides, if you’re really pedantic about it, you can add it as a Non-Steam Game to your Steam Library.

Not to mention that the Windows Store is not GFWL and has nowhere near the amount of DRM that GFWL had. IIRC it has less DRM than Steam. I’m kinda sick of digital distribution being a Valve monopoly - they’ve gotten lazy and stagnated with Steam a long time ago. I welcome the Windows Store.

Kids these days…

When I was their age we had to walk 30 miles through 8 foot deep snow fighting off wolves and bears to get to our local game shop and then physically search for a game, fork out like 80 dollars (which back then was like a thousand in today’s money) make the same journey home, unpack the box, run the disc and install.

Now you can’t even get these millenials to click on one separate program to launch a game.

When I saw so much of the news that was coming out of the franchise in the Windows Store I thought “ah I’ll give this platform a chance” and went to take a look at the store. I got so picky with the low quality of the store, with the lack of products and how they are more expensive compared to other digital distribution platforms (like Steam, nuuvem etc)