[Merged] Will AoE: DE come out for Mac OS X?

Hello,

I play Age Of Empires (1, 2 and 3) on my laptop so it’s easy to pick up and play. I was wondering if you are going to release a Mac version, or at the very least one compatible with WINE. I was pretty disappointed when I tried to do the survey I couldn’t, because you needed to run the file.

I really enjoy the franchise but it really bummed me out not being able to play in the beta just because I couldn’t run the file instead of simply filling in a form!

1 Like

No, I really doubt it. It’s a WinStore and Win10 exclusive. Your best bet would be bootcamp or a VM.

@jakey said:
Hello,

I play Age Of Empires (1, 2 and 3) on my laptop so it’s easy to pick up and play. I was wondering if you are going to release a Mac version, or at the very least one compatible with WINE. I was pretty disappointed when I tried to do the survey I couldn’t, because you needed to run the file.

I really enjoy the franchise but it really bummed me out not being able to play in the beta just because I couldn’t run the file instead of simply filling in a form!

It is a Windows 10 Store exclusive, this means that wine is not likely to work so as @RWNorthPole said you can use bootcamp or a virtual machine.

@MisguidedMonk54 said:

@jakey said:
Hello,

It is a Windows 10 Store exclusive, this means that wine is not likely to work so as @RWNorthPole said you can use bootcamp or a virtual machine.

VMs usually do not have the 3D rendering power for modern games.
But installing Windows 10 via bootcamp seems like a smart idea.
(btw.: Some people say that W10 is the best OS for Apples hardware :wink: )

@“Jonas Klose” said:

@MisguidedMonk54 said:

@jakey said:
Hello,

Oh, thanks for the correction - never used a Mac in my life :slight_smile:

@RWNorthPole said:

@“Jonas Klose” said:

@MisguidedMonk54 said:

@jakey said:
Hello,

Oh, thanks for the correction - never used a Mac in my life :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: I use most operating systems for many many years

Windows store exclusive. So Nope.

@“Jonas Klose” said:

@jakey said:
Hello,

Today’s Mac graphics should be strong enough to for not too demanding games. So it should be possible on MacBooks to run Win10 and AoEDE in a VM (but then probably not in 4k but full HD). Try Virtual Box or VMware Player which both are free or use boot camp if you want the full hardware power once the hardware requirements are known (also free stuff) :slight_smile:

@sniem said:

@“Jonas Klose” said:

@jakey said:
Hello,

Today’s Mac graphics should be strong enough to for not too demanding games. So it should be possible on MacBooks to run Win10 and AoEDE in a VM (but then probably not in 4k but full HD). Try Virtual Box or VMware Player which both are free or use boot camp if you want the full hardware power once the hardware requirements are known (also free stuff) :slight_smile:

Mac graphics are excellent for most games at 4k but virtualization algorithms are not powerful enough… So bootcamp is a way better choice.

Again, they are interested in non Win10 or non microsoft costumers.simply.

What? You can play computer games on Macs?

I thought they were limited to Bertie the Brain and Pong.

I’m guessing a Mac pc with gaming level specs costs like 15 grand?

@Raw1812 said:

I play games on mac… Just finished some GTA online…

@“Memes B Dreams” said:

@Raw1812 said:

I play games on mac… Just finished some GTA online…

Well, there you have it, you learn something new every day

Indeed my friend… Sleep tight space pupper

I play regularly in my Mac using Parallels. Video acceleration is pretty good. Never had any bad experiences with it. When the definitive edition comes out it should be possible to play within vm. Only thing you need is an integrated Intel HD graphics or something like this.

@AOE-Imperator said:
I play regularly in my Mac using Parallels. Video acceleration is pretty good. Never had any bad experiences with it. When the definitive edition comes out it should be possible to play within vm. Only thing you need is an integrated Intel HD graphics or something like this.

Note that the game is Windows 10 which means

1. Bare minimum DX11
  2. Probably DX12

DX11 support in Parallels doesn’t exist at all. They only Support DX10.1

Wine only ‘barely’ supports DX11 and even that is a charitable description.

https://wine-staging.com/news/2017-01-25-blog-vulkan-dx11.html

You will not be able to play this game in a virtualized environment.

You can of course use BootCamp on your Mac to switch between Windows/Mac to play on windows natively. But again in a virtualized environment this game isn’t going to work.

Parallels is continously working on updates, maybe the’ll be able to support DX11 with their next Parallels Desktop update (which would mean you’d have to pay for that update, too, unless it’s not covered by a subscription). We’ll see.

@sniem said:
Parallels is continously working on updates, maybe the’ll be able to support DX11 with their next Parallels Desktop update (which would mean you’d have to pay for that update, too, unless it’s not covered by a subscription). We’ll see.

Note that DX support is not something you magically ‘turn on’ within virtulization. Parallels is a pure emulation layer like Wine. They don’t support GPU passthrough like VMware/KVM/Citrix.

Parallels is not designed to handle high end GPU tasks via virtualization. which is why it doesnt cost $1000 a license. Their GPU emulation exists to handle basic functions of the Windows DirectWrite/DirectX layer and translating that to OpenGL. Parallels works fine with DX9. But even Wine doesn’t have DX11 support. If Parallesl was even remotely working on such a project it would already be having beta testers help out with it.

Status: Macintosh operating systems (macOS) do not support OpenGL Compute Shaders, which is a requirement to develop DirectX 11 support for virtual environment.
As of today, it is technically not possible to implement DirectX 11 support in Parallels virtual machines.

Good point, new Fusion Beta also doesn’t mention DX11: The announcement with links to documentation. In their forum a vmware employee says “So far the DX support remains on feature level 10.0.”