Microsoft Store - No updates

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• GAME BUILD #: N/A
  • GAME PLATFORM: Microsoft Store
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

It’s not a direct bug per se, just something I think requires a lot more attention than it appears to have.
I bought the game (aoe2 de) through Microsoft store and a couple months in I was then forced to start using an xbox live account even though I really really really really really really really really didn’t want to. I can’t stress how much that annoyed me at the time. I don’t like being forced to use data acquiring products I don’t want nor actually consent to - it’s not consent if it’s being forced upon you >:I

Anyway, the issue I have now (as well as many other players it would appear) is that the game version automatically updates for the majority of people, including Steam users, but the game does not automatically update for those of us who acquired the game through the Store (or at least for many of us it does not). I frequently end up finding not many games being hosted in the multiplayer lobby and realise what I have to do to rectify the problem:
I have to uninstall the game and then reinstall the whole thing again… all 14.5gb of it (which is time I could be using to play aoe.
This is because even on the Microsoft Store, no updates are listed as being needed for the application and the option to update is simply not available. That’s why every single time a new version comes out, I (and many others) have to uninstall the entire game just to reinstall it again. It’s very annoying :confused:

To be fair, I have had similar issues with Minecraft Bedrock edition, so it appears like a Micrsoft store problem more than any particular game developers… but if I’m not mistaken, isn’t AoE and Minecraft owned by Microsoft? Why are Steam users getting priority over those of us who used Microsoft’s own service?!? Why would I want to sign up with another bunch of data farmers? (Steam sells your data; so does Microsoft but 1 evil company selling your data is better than 2).

I don’t want to use Steam, it’s the gaming equivalent of facebook (in terms of data farming) and doesn’t actually provide anything useful that Discord and Indy gaming platforms don’t do better. It’s an erroneous and unnecessary middle-man that takes money from the developers and consumers and doesn’t actually do anything.
I’ll settle with Microsoft, and given that I know it’s not AoE’s fault on this (at all), I was hoping you might take this issue (of late and non-existent updates) up with Microsoft themselves on our behalf because it’s effecting our gaming. Perhaps MS is trying to convince us to use Google Play more :0

Anyway, that’s my issue, sorry it’s a long one, but it’s really frustrating and my game is still only halfway done downloading again :confused:

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time and quite frequently, every time there’s an update.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Buy Age of Empires through Microsoft Store.
  2. Wait for game to require updates or version changes.
  3. Realise that noone is in the game lobby you can’t play with friends because your version hasn’t updated.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

Game updates without me being aware it’s even happened.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

Apologies, I forgot to take a screenshot of noone in the lobby… :confused:

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

N/A

Hey, next time try this workaround / fix: Oct 6 release for Steam, but not MS Store - #3 by SavvyEmpire