Minor Economic bonus for Magyar?

i’m well aware of magyars good late game, i even stated that they are good in early and late game, but they are total trash in mid game, you fail to mention that

in addition, why one cannot propose changes on this forum is beyond me. everyone seems to just be soo upset about even the slightest idea of changing something. an opinion can be different from your, that does not mean it’s trash.

oh and pretty much all civs you mentioned have an eco bonus or an indirect eco bonus, since for example bizantines get free techs (more than magyars and more widely useful like basically free architecture, and free town watch), ethiopians get resources as they advance that they can spend on whatever, not locked on a specific tech, and some other, like goths, have a ton of civ bonuses, while magyars only have 3, with one being niche at best

do you think a small bonus to expand the wolf thing would break magyars and bring them to franks/mayas level? cause i don’t think so at all, and i would like to see magyars identity portaied more than just scout rush.

note that this could also mean tweak other aspect of the civ, like changing another civ bonus or something in the tech tree, to make room for another cooler bonus than “kill wolves in one hit”

we are talking about a very limited bonus, not anothing comparable to frank berry/farm or mayas bonuses… not all bonus are equal, and not all bonus are gonna make something OP

for example, a bonus like “hunters can drop food at ouposts” i fail to see how could make the civ OP

they are total trash in mid game

Why’s that? You can say the same about Japanese according to this logic, the only edge Japanese have over Magyar in the mid-game is Redemption.
Magyars are less predictable and much scarrier in a boom fest situation.

free architecture, and free town watch

So you’re saying this is the eco bonus of Byzantines? …

make room for another cooler bonus than “kill wolves in one hit”

I agree with you that this bonus is lame, but you cant conclude that the civ needs an eco bonus lol, stop Frankisizing every civ.

i did not conclude the civ need another eco bonus, i just tryed to expand that lame bonus. all my propositions had the intention to capture the feeling of that bonus and expand it, while not foundamentally change how the civ works. this is different than giving the magyars a direct strong eco bonus like other civs has, it’s just an intent to expand a lame bonus, since they only have 3, better be flavourful and useful somehow at least

many civs have only 3 bonus, but none has 3 bonus with one being so lame as that

and i sayd they suck mid game because the data say so. their data suggests that they significantly drop in mid game, with a spike in very early and very late game

I also used to want an eco bonus for Magyars. But now I think it is good for the game to have some civs with no eco bonus. I like Magyars for that. The “Useless” wolf bonus can be changed although my biggest turn off for them is their cheaper scout.

Yes, you heard me right. People may consider this for their civ identity but ever since African Kingdoms, this bonus is the biggest overlap imo. For some reason people are really conservative about this bonus and don’t consider this as overlap. Although it is exactly same as Turks vs Indians. (Applies earlier affects only 1 unit vs applies later but affects all units is stable).

Also I think the TB is kinda odd as a cav civ. They have good archers indeed, both CA and foot, but they are a cavalry + CA civ. A foot archer bonus is wasted on them and can be better suited to Chinese as someone proposed. I personally want them having all CA units (UU included) train 20%/25% faster as a new TB. (Similar to Turks gunpowder).

1 Like

Japanese however arent meant to go knights. Civ with strong early eco and archers have a much easier time doing stuff than Magyars because archers are easier to pull off with worse eco

this is perfect. fairly average winrate = balanced. so why change it?

3 Likes

Because they are fairly average at their only decent map and suck everywhere outside Black Forest

Can you please back this up with stats ? I just don’t believe it.

Here Magyars are 13th/39 in win rate in RM arabia 1v1 with 51.32%, the most played map by far.

At the time of aoestats, they were 12th/37 in RM 1v1 overall with 50.78% and a crazy 4.59% play rate, which was the 5th highest overall:

https://aoestats.io/stats/RM_1v1

Why do you think they are trash midgame ? Free attack upgrade and cheaper scouts are nice bonus. If you go cav, in castle age you have better or equivalent resources bonus to LIT, JAP, BUR, VIE, SPA, ITA, MON, BYZ, TUR, KOR, INC, as long as the early game civs did not damage you too much, which is more an early game weakness than a mid game weakness…

And MAG should not have more eco advantages than many others, because they have good upgrades everywhere and are not on a timer due to the need to tech into another main unit.

Well too bad, so please pick another main civ. 4% of the player base feel them unique enough to take them as their main. They are the FIFTH most picked civ, they do not need more love.

2 Likes

I think you didn’t get it, Mayans archer discount is overpowered because is for the whole cost, not only one resource, plus having all upgrades available (while other discounts in that way are offset by the lacking of some techs, like the Malay battle elephant discount) and insane economy since the start of the game.
And yes Portuguese and Koreans discounts and bonuses aren’t overpowered as none of those civs have eco bonus.

A. These stats are outdated
B. Win rate isnt accurate of civ balance. Cav civs always are more popular and successful in lower levels

About the only change i would ro for magyars is make the scout discount apply to all units

2 Likes

Personally, i think they need a tiny bonus for their villagers. I would like them to kill the starting scout with one hit so they are harder to lame or scout.

I suppose you mean military units… And only food or any resource?

Another indirect buff would be filling arabia with lots of wolves.

If people is scared of a wolf rush then they can recode the wolves so they stop pursuing units after certain distance, like bugged boars

1 shotting a starting scout is way too abuseable.

If they were to make a change to the Magyars, I would support this idea as well (in my eyes they are in a good spot already).
I think the food cost of the Magyar Huszar would have to be adjusted and maybe they would have to lose Supplies though.

I already suggested this

And swapping UT ( Corvinian Army feels more an Imp UT)

A. aoe pulse you mean ? Then you ll have to explain in which context the are outdated. They are from early january, two patches ago, patches without civ balance:

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/aoe-ii-de-update-58259/

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/age-of-empires-ii-de-update-59165/

Any reason why the civ win rate and pick rate would significatively change when the game didnt?

B. That is a goid point. If you restrict to 1600+ ELO, the win rate actually fall pretty hard to 40% in arabia, which is bottom 6th. But for whaever reason, the civ is still the 11th most picked on arabia with 2.66%. So still very popular.
I would guess buffing their early game eco would further increase their popularity.

And when you said Magyars are bad outside of bkack forest, I assume you do not consider Empire Wars nor care about balance there. Right ?

Magyars are in a fine spot. Just nerf top cavarly civ such as Franks, Huns and we can see more of Magyars play.

Magyars are top civ in Full Feudal map like land madness or Haboob. They aren’t good at most of closed map but not all civ need to be good there.

1 Like

I know, that’s why I quoted you :smiley:

That will be too OP.