Modding via Genie editor gives error "Could not create world. Possibly the required dataset is unavailable."

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• Build: 101.101.37906.0 5105673
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 7 and 10.
  • Gamertag: Xenerule.

:arrow_forward: ISSUE

Modding the game via the genie editor gives error " Could not create world. Possibly the required dataset is unavailable", and no skirmish or campaign missions can be opened.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

1. Make any change with the genie editor (accessed via via steamapps\common\AoE2DE\Tools_Builds) as of the mayhem patch or newer.
  2. Open game.
  3. The message should appear.

4 Likes

can confirm this. Takes significant time to load the program too. AI games fail to load as well

2 Likes

You made direct changes to the main path?

1 Like

The main path, yes. I have it on my F: drive instead of C, so the starting folder is different, but that’s the only difference from the AOE2 DE settings.

It was working the day before the Mayhem patch (and had been for weeks), and stopped working immediately after.

1 Like

Where do you save it?

Yeah, it used to work normally before but after the lastest patch it has this problem

2 Likes

This is absurd and an abuse with our money.
I bought the game to play the way I want !!

4 Likes

While I’m concerned with the lack of dev response, calling it abuse is a stretch.
This has happened before so it looks like a coding issue in the new patch than anything. The AGE tool is bundled with the game so its not like they oppose modding

2 Likes

Hey, I probably know your problem. You are modding the official dataset. You are NOT allowed to do it.
If you want to play on your custom dataset, you can create your own separate one. Go in the standard game, and from the dataset options select yours.

To create your own dataset, better download any dataset from the store, use “go to directory” button, copy the dataset directory, go back, open the local folder, paste there. Now you get all directories to create your mod. Rename the folder to your liking, delete the info.json file inside it. Enter the resources folder and keep going. You will find a dataset file. Replace it with the official one and then mod it.

1 Like

Why are we not allowed to edit the dataset and play the campaign in the way we want? We pay for the game and we have the right to do this. I don’t like to play online, so i don’t care for anti-cheat measure.

6 Likes

The campaign missions are set for achievements as well. By editing the dataset, you can play a campaign with Siege Onagers and Paladins in Dark Age as well, so it is not allowed.

1 Like

But it was allowed for all this time? Also who cares about achievements, if someone got them through such lame tactics, then I guess it’s not much of an achievement for them other than the satisfaction of getting the steam icon, big deal

6 Likes

haha, that’s good one. Yes, we don’t give a buck for the achievements.
We just wanna play this game in the way we wanted to. It’s a game, to play for fun, Not to get imaginary medals from useless achievements for you to show to Your supposed virtual girlfriends

9 Likes

lmfao virtual girlfriend

By the way what changes do you guys make?

We just wanna play this game in the way we wanted to.
We just wanna play this game in the way we wanted to.
!!!
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

I got the exact same problem, I did the exact same thing to the aoe2 hd edition and it work fine. The definitive edition keep giving me this same errors. Anyone found a quick fix?

2 Likes

Here is the fix you have to make your own data set, and select that in the data mod, i think this is to stop people from cheating in multiplayer or something, anyway here is the link just follow the instructions, it worked for me, https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe2/comments/dz7meh/how_to_mod_civs_in_de/,

pay special attention to where you have to save the dat file “To save and play your mod, click the “Save” button on top. On the “Save files…” window, where it says “Compressed data set (.dat):” click the “Browse” and save the “empires2_x2_p1.dat” file in C:\Users[Your Windows User Name]\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE[Long Number]\mods\local[New Mod Folder**]\resources_common\dat” enjoy

1 Like

Pretty sure multiplayer always checks the file integrity through steam so I doubt it’s anti cheating mechanic

1 Like

As the title says, I can’t mod the official data file anymore in aoe2:de. Whenever I do and start up the game, a pop-up appears that a world can’t be created since the data file is “missing”. Is there any fix for this? Any idea if Microsoft will fix this? It’s really dissapointing that I apparently can’t mod the data file anymore since i love to play a modded campaign. Is there maybe any other way to play the campaign with mods without modding the data file itself? I don’t really play multiplayer games and it’s depressing to think that Microsoft is forcing us to play the campaign without mods whatsoever. I don’t even feel like playing the game without it tbh so if anyone can help me, I would appreciate it a ton.

1 Like