Mongol TC rush

It’s catching traction now.

1 Like

This game kinda convinced me that it’s really hard to play out.

I still think it’s a matter of getting used to it, since the delay for faster packed buildings is giving you insane momentum for scouting and preperation.
I think the main mistake is still “not seeing it coming” paired with 0 military to react to the spear grip tightening over time.

But again, I might be wrong here as well.

Check the history of the guys leading the board. You will find multiple mongol TC douches. Its different from AoE2 douche someone referenced because the Mongol TC can continuously move around… Usually you would lose your initial one but just rebuild elsewhere and be done with it, unless opponent kept deleting and moving, he would be investing a lot. Mongols dont really as they just relocate.

I feel like this is the problem currently. People aren’t making units for some reason.

I guess ppl still play a bit too blindly and greedily into feudal, not knowing the absolute different possibilities that mongols have.

Yeah I’m still not convinced this is actually a problem. At most I would say move the building speed tech to the feudal age.

1 Like

Theory-crafting: playing vs Mongols, blind build an age 1 barracks and make a mix of spearmen and also villagers from your TC as usual. When the Mongol TC comes and unpacks, siege it down with all your vills and spearmen. It does mean your villagers will be unproductive while torching and the TC will just run away before dying but the Mongol is also unable to produce villagers this whole time. Blind building spearmen isn’t the worst idea vs Mongols anyway.

Considering it’s hard to stop even if you know it’s coming… I’d still say it’s OP. It being beatable is not the same as being balanced. A few posters here, IMO, are missing that part.

2 Likes

I wasn’t trying to argue it shouldn’t be nerfed btw - just what could potentially stop it until a patch comes.

Definitely, it forces the opponent to open a certain way and do silly things just in case this is coming. Let’s see how fast they patch this!

Anyone in this thread thinking this is easy to stop is theorycrafting and has not played against a good player using it. Definitely OP, and (worse, in my book), not even remotely fun to play against.

6 Likes

yep. The only way i can think of to stop it is to preemptively make spearmen but even then what if the mongol player doesn’t tc rush then you’ve just wasted resources making useless spearmen.

They aren’t entirely useless, after all you are still fighting a mongol player.
So making spearmen is still in good order.

You’re right if they go horsemen, but what happens when they go mangudai? He will age up faster due to you making spearmen and your spearmen get kited by them and you’ll have less resources to spend on archers to counter the mangudai.

The actual counter strat it seems btw is to just have 1-2 scouts attacking the moving TC.
They prevent it from deploying because of how close they are to it.

And it is mostly just a scouting game anyway how else would we prepare for anything in this situation. If you find out they aren’t tc rushing you, you’ve only trained an extra scout so no biggie.

You can beat it but you have to send out at least 2-3 villagers to hunt and gather resources away from your base. Going wood early versus mongol is not a bad idea.

If you dont do this you need walls and good building placement to overcome a mongol player.