Mongols are killing the 1v1 for me

I guess for some civs it could work

You are absolutely right, but I thought that you don’t have to stay on your base, just to protect the economy from raids, if your eco is stable, you can try to raid Mongolian trade route, and build keeps. I know it’s hard, but i think it’s possible.

1 Like

I see a lot of people opining things that have nothing to do with the main topic. In a quick game 1 vs 1, where the map allows a direct incursion into the urban center, you have no chance against a Mongolian, no matter how you play the game, you will lose, all the tips they give are for games outside this case (2 vs 2, 3 vs 3, 4 vs 4, maps where you have to go around to get to the urban center)

1 Like

Just pick England and make some longbowmen with few spearmen and you will counter any rush or raids.
But, again. You need to be good at the game. Otherwise, no matter the civ, you will highly likely lose.

And if the player hides his games and you do not know what he is going to choose? My point is that in games 1 vs 1 you will lose against a Mongol always, so that civilization occupies an adjustment. And as I said before, the English are an option that makes it easier to play against Mongols but is not counter as such.

1 Like

How could it not counter? You just rush enemy ovoo with outpost as it gives 25% attack speed so they cannot attack you when you have archers and spearmen. Their horsemen got nerf, normal archers cant outperform longbowmen. You just need to get better. You are mentally accepting the Mongols are OP in 1vs1. But not exploring other options by being an innovative player.

Also, always scout, that way you know what the enemy is trying to do. Try to be good at it. Otherwise, they will always defeat you. The problem is you in this case.

1 Like

Well, you can pay the game in spring again when the next updates will arrive, until that mongols will be op.

If I play more than 300 games, and I lose and win the same number of games against all civilizations To exepsion of the Mongols, with whom I always lose, according to you the conclusion is that I do not know how to play, the truth is regrettable your way of opinion.

Just to be clear, every time I play against a Mongolian I try to do different things to face them, and in many cases I resist the first minutes of the game but in the long run I lose because that civilization in 1 vs 1 is broken, in games of 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3, 4 vs 4. I always defeated them because they can’t make their rush to me early.

I feel you man, I stop playing AOE4 for a few weeks now, not coming back till they nerf Mongols to a reasonable level.

if you want to keep playing as the other guys said, joining them to learn their “weakness” is probably the only way, but you will soon find English longbow rush is most likely the only “easy way” against the Mongol but then again English longbow rush is very effective against all Civs.

1 English longbow rush is effective against all Civs.

2 if you can destroy your opponent’s ovoo early, you are clearly the better player of the two.

1 Like

I can only imaginé  really u guys find a mongol player that let u destroy Ovoo? Really? With his 2x army? With Khan scouting & firing(oh man how annoying is lose a vil because him, even at top level its totally Broken).
U all are missing the point. The point is that 2 players with relative equal skill are won by mongols, pretty always. (U can take a look on génesis, that was the case most times)

1 Like

The longbow rush is strong but its all in, if he fails he is done.

but Mongol strength is way more than that.

Personally i disagree with you pessimist guys. I think that you are overreacting. First because there are a lot of counterplay vs 90 % of mongol rushes (ill talk about the 10% after). I can put here some consideration without any offence for you all, maybe they could help you:

1. as already stated the walls are your save vs mongols, but not just wall in your base, in my experience who wall himself in base will surely loose after. There are a lot of maps where you can wall some section and gain a large part of the map, you have to learn how to do it properly and mongols cant hurt you anymore on that types of map.
  2. all civ have the chance to counterplay the mongols, the secret here is to use your scout to watch what building are going the mongol player and counter it. If you dont have any scout (and im honest here its your fault if this occurs) then try to go with archers because in the 90% of the times a good amount of archers and a micro basic skill can let you survive any of their rush. Remember that they havent any heavy armored unit until castle age, this means that pikes and archers are always a good response to their rushes.
  3. there are some civ that in reality i found to be a good counter to their rush, im playing a lot chinese faction, when you go with 10-15 chu ko nu (dont remember their name in aoe4, in my mind they are chu ko nu, i mean chinese repeater crossbowmen) you have tecnically countered any troop of the mongol to a level that is quite embarassing (i deleted a light cavalry rush with the chu ko nu even if in theory the light cav should have countered me). Other good option against mongols imho are English and hre (hre mainly because you can defend with trash unit just like any faction and in the same time booming your economy with that op prelate in the abbey) but as i already stated you can counter the mongols with any faction because you just need trash units (archers are quite often the way to go, if you played particulary well than pike+archers and you go) to do that.
  4. another way is to counter rush with also your rush, you can defend your base with few archers, towers and villagers in strategic point and/or a fortress landmark if your faction has it. Then go to the offensive, mongols have a great weakness on the defence, you can focus ovoo if it isnt next to the tc and slow them greatly.

Considering these option i always had no problem to cohnter them, there is only one tactic that its really hard to counter actually and maybe it is quite abusing. They start mass scouts and attack me directly in dark age when rarely i have any defence, they didnt focu villagers but isolated buildings like houses or resourcers building forcing you to go with pikes in dark age slowing a lot your growing. If you are fast you can go to feudal in time for their first attack (and here again if you place a fortress landmark like the rus or chinese one in a good place you make their play quite hard to beat you).
Last but not for importance, any game is hardly balanced, if you want a balaced game go play chess and remember that even there white has an advange.
When two players have the same skill the game goes on until one of them makes an error, just watch your replay always and try to figure out where you could do better and work on it for next games. I hope this post could help some of you

1 Like

The mongols needs a redesign period. The free stone gathering and able to spam double units is just absurd ■■■■■■■■. RTS is all about maintaining map control, if you just have more units all the time, why does it matter you need wall? Everyone just scout tower rush you, then you have to spend resources to deal with that in the mean while , remember that oovoo ? UWU, for fk sake, they can just easily “out macro” you by doing nothing. Whoever thought this is a great idea has no idea about RTS, this dev should just really rethink about this, the design flaw is so absurd, I am not surprised this game is dead after a month from now, maybe even faster, given how slow the devs patches game breaking bugs, even worse, they bother to tell everyone in patch note that the bug exists , then the next day you see them in ladder 1v1 , team game everywhere. Why did I even pay money for this?

Refund ? Thanks? This is a joke of a game to me right now.

1 Like

That’s not effective anymore, the sad fact you have not been playing for a few weeks, you probably didn’t realize they silently changed that TC can retarget units when ram is there now. So even that is taken away, they secretly buffed mongol even more. kekw.

I really have no idea what are you talking about or who you talking to, literally no one in this post ever said anything about the Mongol’s “rush” being a problem.

but from what you are saying I will bet your elo is pretty low because Mongols above 1300/1400 DO NOT RUSH blindly. they make a few early units to pressure their opponent a little bit then just wait to see the reaction.

and No, there is no “counterplay” to Mongols if they know how to play, you can’t counter their map control from the very start of the game, you can’t counter their speed from the yam network, you can’t counter their springlad is moving faster than your infantry, you can’t counter the double production, and most importantly Mongols scout you out before making any impactful decisions.

2 Likes

yeah, I am putting flower on the tomb of AOE4 at the moment, it’s been fun while it lasted. It may rest in the mongol flying cars, and mongol braindead unit spam, no house needed, it’s mongol’s house. :smiley:

Anyone know how to play mongol would not lose to any other civ other than mongols themselves. lol.

but Hey English longbow rush works! maybe not everytime but it works sometimes!

Yeah man I am gonna wait for the patch they nerf the Mongols to play any 1v1.

but from this winter patch that might be months because the bulk of this patch is a reaction from the feedback in open beta. LOL

No joke, I don’t know the ins and outs of game dev. But the indie game called Starcraft 2 was hot fixing game breaking bugs within a day, yet Microsoft with all the money and infrastructure can’t do it, granted it’s developed by relic, but mind if they get some support to make things happen? Maybe there are just too many far more profitable adventure at Microsoft. People praised AOE4, that Microsoft is putting down money to build a brand, but the game is so bad in its current state, it might as well be killing the sequel in the long run. I don’t know man, whoever is making decision at Microsoft needs to seriously reevaluate this thing

We heard you, we know the game breaking bug. Patch notes “Tracking known issue”, then next day everyone and their dad, mom, sister, bother, grand mother , grand father are all abusing that bug in quick match left and right. Thank you relic.