MS Mod Workshop publishing problem

Hello,

I want to publish a gamedata mod that changes a techtree and civ bonuses. I edited the data file and changed the description texts for 2 locales.

The mod itself works, but I can’t upload the changed descriptions into the game. Means I cannot see the changed texts when opening the tech tree or hovering over ingame buttons. On my own computer or when I put the modded files into my AoE2DE folder (replacing hte original files) everything is shown correctly.

Is there a tutorial on how to pack the .zip files for publishing mods or can someone help me out?

Greetings

From what I noticed from your comment; do you also want to change the “key-value-strings-utf8” file found in the “strings” folder?
If that is the case, it is not possible for that changed file if you do not create a “bat” file to install the mod and another “bat” file to uninstall the mod. I already made a mod with the name “AOE2_GOLDEN_DE (STRINGS)”, which has the possibility (with the “bat” file), to change and return to the original file (I am talking about the “key-value-strings-utf8” file) it works perfectly. My mod takes the original game files and changes it to support the mod, after time has passed (time is written in the created “bat” file). So follow, now my instructions and I hope it results in your mod.
SPET 1: Put your changed file “dat” in the “local” folder with the correct path; in the same way with your changed file “key-value-strings-utf8”.
SPET 2: Create a text file (and it can be called “install mod”), in the folder path of your mod “strings”. (if you wrote your mod’s descriptions in English, the path is this: “the name of your mod” / resources / en / strings / key-value / key-value-modded-strings-utf8). Vote the file created below the “resources” folder.
STEP 3: Inside the file (created) write the following code:

@ECHO OFF
:: CHANGE THIS TO YOUR STEAM INSTALLATION FOLDER
SET “steamExeFolder = C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Steam”
:: DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE
SET “modFolder =% cd%”
SET “goldenStrings =% modFolder% \ resources \ en \ strings \ key-value \ key-value-modded-strings-utf8.txt”
SET “original =% steamExeFolder% \ steamapps \ common \ AoE2DE \ resources \ en \ strings \ key-value \ key-value-strings-utf8.txt”
SET “stringsCopy =% steamExeFolder% \ steamapps \ common \ AoE2DE \ resources \ en \ strings \ key-value \ key-value-strings-utf8-original.txt”
ECHO “Closing game … Press Enter to proceed or close terminal to cancel!”
pause
“% SteamExeFolder% \ steamapps \ common \ AoE2DE” CD
TASKKILL / F / IM “AoE2DE_s.exe”
ECHO “"
ECHO “Saving original strings file …”
COPY “% original%” “% stringsCopy%”
ECHO "

ECHO “Turning mod strings on …”
TYPE “% goldenStrings%” >> “% original%”
ECHO “"
ECHO “Opening game …”
“% SteamExeFolder%” CD
steam.exe -applaunch 813780
ECHO "

ECHO “Waiting for game to open before resetting back to original file …”
ECHO “If the game does not open or terminal is closed early,”
ECHO “Use the uninstall.bat file to remove the strings mod!”
timeout / t 35 / nobreak
“% modFolder% \ uninstall.bat”
exit

Now pay attention some paths indicated here are from my mod, you probably need to change them.
In the code SET 'steamExeFolder =. At the front, you will replace the STANDARD text C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Steam (currently the default steam installation folder) with REAL Path for your steam installation folder (only if different).

STEP 4: Then save the file in the path of your mod and change the format to “bat” (for example the name of the file can be “install mod.bat”)
This file is used so that whenever you want to open the game with your mod, you will need to use the file created install mod.bat. I recommend that you send a shortcut of that file to the desktop. The terminal window will open the game for you and install your mod in the background. Don’t close. If you wrote the code correctly, the file automatically closes when the game loads and restores the game files, which means that the next time you run the game normally (original version), it will work without having to uninstall manually. this mod.

STEP 5: Then create another text file to uninstall the mod manually if your “install” file does not close automatically. (This can happen for example if you started “windows” without internet, what happens in this case is that your mod is activated, but not after the original file, because you are unable to log in to “Steam”). Then, inside this file (which you can call “uninstall mod”), write this code:

@ECHO OFF
:: CHANGE THIS TO YOUR STEAM INSTALLATION FOLDER
SET “steamExeFolder = C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Steam”
:: DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE
SET “original =% steamExeFolder% \ steamapps \ common \ AoE2DE \ resources \ en \ strings \ key-value \ key-value-strings-utf8.txt”
SET “stringsCopy =% steamExeFolder% \ steamapps \ common \ AoE2DE \ resources \ en \ strings \ key-value \ key-value-strings-utf8-original.txt”
ECHO “Resetting back to original files …”
COPY “% stringsCopy%” “% original%”
ECHO “***********************************”
ECHO "Successfully uninstalled! This window will automatically close in 5 seconds … "
timeout / t 5 / nobreak
exit

Now pay attention some paths indicated here are from my mod, you probably need to change them.

After all this, your mod is probably already installed and you don’t need to touch the original file … but if in your comment you weren’t referring to changing the “key-value-strings-utf8” file, forget about everything that I wrote here.

2 Likes

Hello,

thanks for your detailed answer.

I am familiar with .bat mod file swapping, I’ve used it for modding Battle for Middle Earth. If this really is the only way I’ll do it the same way as you did, thanks for providing me the code.
But to be honest this is quite ridiculous from MS side - if I upload a mod and include additional textfiles those should be replaced just aswell as the dataset. It should be sort of obvious that if I change the dataset it’s likely that units or ability effects are changed. And descriptions are one of the most important things for mods so people know what was changed.

Now all is left is to figure out why the regular techtree crashes in lobby screen 11.