Multiplayer game becomes unplayable (rubber-banding, input latency, etc)

Same here for online private multiplayer matches on the latest version (2 humans vs. 3 AI today). Has happened a few times the past while, including today. Since I don’t play online much, I’d say it’s about 75% of my matches where this happens. I’m on latest version of the game.

• Game starts fine. Then eventually (~20-30 minutes in) a 30-second lag kicks in, then creeps up to 45-seconds, then 1 minute, 2 minutes, etc… the longer you go the worse it gets. Along with slight rubber-banding every so often. Yet our chats remain real-time.

Not sure if it matters, but I’m the one who creates the lobby each time. It doesn’t always happen to him, like today he was fine. (UPDATE: The same issue happened to him a while after I had resigned, too, so he ended up closing the game, as well, since it became unplayable.) We use WESTUS2 server each time because I don’t trust default/automatic, as that didn’t choose the best server once, imo. Other variables:

• I record the games
  • Moderate difficulty
  • Giant map size
  • 400 pop max
  • Robinhood map today, but it has been different maps before.

We try to save and restore the game to fix, as this tends to resolve it for a short time, but the issue then creeps back in over 5 or so minutes of further gameplay. I think one time a few weeks ago a save/restore let us play to the end without issue, if I’m not mistaken.

But when I stopped playing just now:

• I would send a flare and it would take 2 mins to appear on mini-map and make sound.

• When I’d tell idle villagers to construct a mine, it would take 2 minutes for them to start moving and go build it

• When I told them to build gate, took them 2 minutes to respond

• When I sent resources to teammate because I was giving up for the day and he was going to keep playing, it took 2-3 mins for him to get the resources.

I’ve done Internet speedtests, and I’m at 24Mbps, before, during, and after the game. He’s at a solid 90Mbps. No anti-virus scans or other intensive processes are going on. My PC gets high-level AoE2:DE game benchmark results each time; my CPU and GPU can run this game no problem.

2 Likes