Multiplayer is laggy in current patch

Oops! I didn’t realize that I hadn’t responded here! We are certainly aware of the multiplayer lag/latency reports and the team is actively investigating. Will keep you appraised of any updates as they arise!

3 Likes

Thanks for getting back to this forum. I just got the game yesterday: 4/19/20. I have 3 friends I want to buy the game for BUT I made a custom scenario yesterday to introduce the game to them since they have never played. I tried multiplayer (MP) and it is laggy as reported, however, when I ran my Custom Scenario on the MP with just AIs in a private lobby, over the course of 20 seconds the game become so unresponsive it was unplayable.

Today when I tried same thing and it actually crashed. Are Custom Scenarios completely broken as of right now? Or is this along the same lines as the lag being reported? Again got 3 copies I would like to buy for my friends but not if the game doesn’t work. Sorry.

A few questions you (and others) can answer to provide some perspective:

1. How many human players are in the match?
  2. How many AI players are in the match?
  3. How are the teams balance?
  4. What map are you playing?
  5. What game mode are you playing??
  6. If playing with AI, what is their difficulty / civilization?
  7. Are you playing on a Server? Which one, specifically? LAN?
  8. Who experiences the lag? Everyone? The host only?
  9. How does the game end? Does it crash? Do you eventually disconnect?
  10. If you have the saved game file or a video, please upload it and include a link.

Thank you! =)

BrickyCanoe, please do some research and look at all the issues this game has, reported all over the forums and steam. You won’t regret it. Don’t buy DE for your friends and waste your money. Multiplayer is in a horrible state.

I can’t say for others playing MP against humans. I just got the game but from my experience with the standard match here it is. Below will be my custom scenario match I’ve been trying to run.

1. (How many human players are in the match?) 1 just me
  2. (How many AI players are in the match?) 7 AI players
  3. (How are the teams balance?) Just AI in a private MP lobby. 4v4
  4. (What map are you playing?) Black Forest
  5. (What game mode are you playing??) Standard
  6. (If playing with AI, what is their difficulty / civilization?) HD AI Hard Random Civ
  7. (Are you playing on a Server? Which one, specifically? LAN?) EastUS server
  8. (Who experiences the lag? Everyone? The host only?) Just me the only human.
  9. (How does the game end? Does it crash? Do you eventually disconnect?) I just quit after a minute to test if the regular MP was running as bad as my custom scenario. So again sorry I can’t attest as well to the problem as some other players in the forum.
  10. If you have the saved game file or a video, please upload it and include a link.

Custom Scenario “Noobs to the Rescue”

1. (How many human players are in the match?) 1 just me (will be 4 but for testing I just used myself obviously)
  2. (How many AI players are in the match?) 6 AI players 5 are HD AI and 1 CD original. The Standard AI did not perform the way I wanted in the map editor when I ran a test.
  3. (How are the teams balance?) 4v3
  4. (What map are you playing?) Custom Scenario map derived from a random generated Black Forest.
  5. (What game mode are you playing??) Custom Scenario win conditions are Standard.
  6. (If playing with AI, what is their difficulty / civilization?) AI, Britons. Ai, Franks. Ai, Goths. 3 AI, Vikings. All AI are HD version on hard EXCEPT 1 Viking AI is on Hard CD original. (I like the way the AI performed on test it built a lot of defensive castle my noob friends can get some experience with siege that way.)
  7. (Are you playing on a Server? Which one, specifically? LAN?) EastUS 120-140 ping
  8. (Who experiences the lag? Everyone? The host only?) Me the only human AND all the AIs. They look like they struggle to make commands to units. Some units esepcially their scouts stop and go or fidget I guess.
  9. (How does the game end? Does it crash? Do you eventually disconnect?) Yes the game crashed after 40-60 seconds.
  10. (If you have the saved game file or a video, please upload it and include a link.) Sorry I don’t know how to do this. I’d love to upload the map for you. I got a script for it on a MS document and a couple basic triggers. I think my friends will love it. But yeah, any help would be great. Again want to stress when I ran the “Test” in the map editor everything ran flawlessly.

Lastly if it matters. Running an intel I7, GTX founders? 1070Ti 16 GM ram I think. frame rate is around 160 so power not a problem.

Yeah, since my issues I have been looking around and have a thread on steam going. At this point I have to say you’re right. The game just isn’t playable. I did just buy it yesterday for myself so I’m trying to give it an honest shot and see if people are working to fix it or if I’m doing something wrong. But sadly it does look like the servers are just not at the level they need to be right now. :frowning:

1. How many human players are in the match?
    I only play 1v1.

2. How many AI players are in the match?
    None

3. How are the teams balance?
    1v1 ranked

4. What map are you playing?
    One of maps in the map pool. Maps doesnt matter.

5. What game mode are you playing??
    1v1 ranked RM

6. If playing with AI, what is their difficulty / civilization?
    NA

7. Are you playing on a Server? Which one, specifically? LAN?
    Most ranked games are on UK (85%), sometimes i played on EastUS (12,5%) or Europe (2,5%) server. I havent found a link with a specific server and lag.

I dont know. I have talked about it with opponent. I also dont know who is host in ranked game by match making.

9. How does the game end? Does it crash? Do you eventually disconnect?
    It do not crashes. The game slowed down for some seconds. Pretty funny to see your scouting scout slow down a lot. After some seconds the game goes in fast forward mode to catch up with the game. In those period you cant micro. If it is at the start of the game you cant really scout very well whe all your input is delayed. If it happend late game you have to puth the gather point of your barrack, stable, … to the battle field and hope for the best. You cant micro at all.

How to upload a svae game file or a video?

You should be able to host the replay/savegame in a OneDrive, Google Drive, or other file-hosting service and then share the link. I’ll get this to our Test team so they can take a look and see if they can determine any commonalities that are causing the issue (if only to rule out anything outside of a networking or server issue).

Thank you!

Yeah don’t know how to do that but I think I figured a round about way. Let me know if this works.
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1-tTcj1GIQnixzTkr71L3Hgz_wNfOUkjw3FusulaqVRs/edit#slide=id.p
This was my best run yet. Normally game gets laggy around 30 seconds this time actually made 3 mins. 3 mins video time is when the lag can be observed and it tanks. I also noticed a red clock next to my name in the score panel after running awhile longer. I didn’t notice that before. What does that refer to??? Also at 4:25 you can see the Red scout spaz out.

Thanks for the assistance.

same issue here - I had two to three human players and 2 to 6 bots (happened over many games the past few days) sometimes it occurred on some servers, usually got worse with more bots and a bigger map. Just happened on 3 of the 4 games I tried to play with a friend earlier tonight.

Can you get a recording and share it here. I think that would help the team. Not sure but I’d like to get this thing fixed soon. My vacation is coming up and I have a limited time before I have to go back to med school. If you know how to record and post a link here great. If you were like me and didn’t, then if you are using a windows. Go to your settings. Select Gaming. Make sure record games using Game Bar is on. Then go into the game press the Windows key + G to open the Game Bar. Click start recording in the top left and setup your game with people. The video will automatically be saved in your Videos folder. I had to upload the video to the google drive first then embed it into a google powerpoint slide. It took a while to upload. Once you have the powerpoint with inserted video you can share it here and hopefully that will help the team out. Make sure you record the setup of the game like the server. Lastly, thanks for helping out. I would love to be able to play this game with my friends!

1. How many human players are in the match? 2
  2. How many AI players are in the match? 0
  3. How are the teams balance? 1v1 ranked
  4. What map are you playing? ranked map pool
  5. What game mode are you playing?? 1v1 ranked rm
  6. If playing with AI, what is their difficulty / civilization? /
  7. Are you playing on a Server? Which one, specifically? LAN? Im from EU, depends on the matchmaking
  8. Who experiences the lag? Everyone? The host only? I and the enemy both have 3-4 seconds of lag
  9. How does the game end? Does it crash? Do you eventually disconnect? No
    Ill find it and host
    Ping and fps are stable (around 100ms and 100+fps) but in a certain point the game gets unplayable
  1. How many human players?
    Can be one human player, two human players, the input delay occurs regardless of how many players

2. How many AI players?
    It can be one Human player with 7 AI, a 1v1 human, 1v1 human AI, death match with one human and 5 AI, etc

3. What are the teams set to?
    2v2, 3v3, 2v4, Human vs human, human vs AI, human team vs AI team. Any combination results in the same, regardless of human players

4. What map?
    Any map, Black Forest, Serengeti, Coastal, Nomad, Yucatán, anything

5. What game type?
    Standard

6. What AI personality is each AI set to?
    Can be DE AI or HD AI, HD AI is worse in its own way

7. Server or LAN?
    Server

Human host and the AI, human host and second human including all AI

9. How does the game end up “crashing” and who does it occur for?
    The game does not crash, there is a massive input delay between commands and actions, the game continues running, everyone bugs out

This is not my video but someone recorded the exact same thing:

https://youtu.be/w3jN2aqZ0Bk

I have had this issue for over a week now, tried multiple situations, there is not just one instance or combination of factors that causes this.

The only thing that seemed to fix it occasionally was to switch the speed back and forth, but this is hit or miss. The only other aspect is that this occurs much more often when playing alone, when I play with others, it happens to them before it happens to me, which indicates to me it happens to the weakest person / PC / internet first, then the game disconnects them. Incidentally, the auto save feature is corrupted, it changes the civilizations, map, game mode etc

Update on playing Custom Scenario with friends. I tried it out today with some players and something interesting happened. I got the unplayable lag as usual but the other players were unaffected. So as Player 1 I quit. Then shortly after Player 2 got the lag where units quit responding to commands. He quit and then Player 3 was unable to command units and it just went down the line like that. Any ideas what’s going on there?

Yes the patch made everything laggy for me too. My benchmark was around 1200 and yet i cannot play this game due to extreme lag. I could play the game fine before the patch. Please look into this.

1 Like

For some reason lag is less noticable last games. Server maintainance reduced lag?

1 Like

Hello, I have the same problem. this is the video shot

you can watch it from the link.

I’ve been dealing with awful lag and low fps in multiplayer games. I’ved tried just about every fix I can think of, but like other posters, my hardware and connection is just fine, I get a 1275 in the benchmark and 144 fps in single player at 2k resolution. I recorded the issue in a recent 1v1. The guy has a chinese name, but he’s only like 200 miles away in Cali. I get around 10 fps and seconds of input lag Whenever I get this issue, I try and ask where other people are from, but no one else reports low fps lag even when Im tanking, and we are playing on the closest US east server, where I get around 100 ping. I’m thinking this is some software/server issue, but it’s pretty bogus it’s unilaterally affecting players.

1 Like

Hi there, I am also feeling heavy lag in multiplayer. So,

1. How many human players are in the match? 8 players
  2. How many AI players are in the match? 0
  3. How are the teams balance? All had around 2k - 2k2 TG rating.
  4. What map are you playing? Mostly hideout, but occurs on all maps
  5. What game mode are you playing?? Random Map - Ranked
  6. If playing with AI, what is their difficulty / civilization? NA
  7. Are you playing on a Server? Which one, specifically? LAN? Brazil
  8. Who experiences the lag? Everyone? The host only? Everyone
  9. How does the game end? Does it crash? Do you eventually disconnect? It ended after lots of lag without crash or disconnect though.
  10. If you have the saved game file or a video, please upload it and include a link. The above video looks like the exact same thing happened to me.

Notes: I am from Asia but I have like 9/10 games hosted on Brazil server ( all are Ranked 4v4 or 3v3) and even when I checked the players profile, they were all from Europe/Asia. Not sure why Brazil is chosen always for team games. And I rarely feel the lag on other servers as well.

1 Like

Even TheViper has this kinda lag. This kind of freeze and the follwing fast forward is what happens almost every game. Recently it happened less than weeks ago, but it is still frequently.

1 Like