My advice of the new civilizations

Just a small correction - the Matabele were NOT a Shona state/people. They (Matabele) were an ####### people, reputedly a rebellious offshoot of the Zulu. They made their way to what is now Matabeleland region of Zimbabwe via the South African Highveld grasslands. Anyway, they were related to nations such as the Zulu and the Xhosa)

I don’t believe I mentioned the Matabele. This may have been another poster.

I was talking specifically about Shona with focus on the Rozvi Empire which were Shona. To my understanding the the leader of the Matabele, Mzilikaz, essentially fled the Zulu, had a fight with Boers and invaded the the Rozvi Empire during the 19th century, leading to the Rozvi being a being basically a puppet-state to the Matabele.

SirBarnzy1, I was indeed answering another poster, but something very weird happened to the connection/interface as I was editing my reply to him. Apologies to you. Interestingly enough, as one posts one’s reply often names, words or parts of words get replaced by hash signs. Most odd.

1 Like

I don’t know if the developers plan to give us a new civilization, but if that is the case, I hope it comes out this month, because I think everyone is already having withdrawal symptoms from new content. XD

1 Like

These pictures are all taken from military books of the Ming Dynasty in China.If it had the opportunity to appear in the game, I think it would be very interesting

But this would be a new Chinese unit, right?

more anti infantry units for china?

It would also be nice if the Japanese got some new units. Maybe they could get the [Kaidate] or the [Sakamogi] which were two types of mantlets used by them in warfare.

The Kaidate is the wooden mantlet in the top left corner, while the Sakamogi are the brush barricades.

bgtfbgtf

4 Likes

It would make more sense as a musketeer. The weapon is basically a gun strapped to a polearm.

It looks really interesting. It resembles the Hussite Wagon, but without the floor and the walls at the back and sides. At most, there would be a possibility for a moving unit to fortify itself.

On the other hand, I have the impression that I saw as many as 5 units here.

1 Like

A pavise ability for Yumis could capture some of this.

1 Like

@MUTYLATOR5553 I am glad that you found the sketch interesting. I managed to find this sketch on a website called “Weapons and Warfare” (weaponsandwarfare.com - This website is for sale! - weaponsandwarfare Resources and Information.) which tells a little about these siege weapons.

I tried to click on the link before but my browser couldn’t establish a connection to the server. So the link may be broken or just for me at the moment.

Sure, why not. Though it would be nice if the [Sakamogi] was at least added to the game which would function as the Japanese counterpart of the Haudenosaunee Mantlet.

1 Like

On the subject of Haud Mantlet, historically the Haudenosaunee would use the Mantlets to get close then use them as ramps to scale walls. It would be great if there were some late game shipments to make the Mantlets work like AoEII’s Siege Ladders when near enemy walls.

2 Likes

I also remember reading a while ago that they used mantlets for scaling walls. They did apparently use canoes as well as both cover and for climbing over walls.

Maybe the Aztecs could also have some kind of siege ladder unit or give one of their units the ability to use a digging stick, which will make them able to dig tunnels under walls. The tunnel could function as a structure that has to be “destroyed” by covering it up.

I found some information on Reddit where a user named 400-Rabbits who explains that the Aztecs did use ladders and digging sticks for dealing with walls.

1 Like

Yeah, I believe that I’ve read something similar.

The unit you suggested could even just be the soldier using the digging sticks as a melee siege, rather than have additional structures - after all they would literally be digging at the base of the wall/palisade to undermine it.

Basically, the insert appropriate Aztec low ranking warrior name could be a hand shock infantry unit who’s sole purpose is to sprint to enemy walls/buildings and start digging right by it to undermine it. They could be fairly cheap, fast on their feet and resistant to ranged attack however are solely there to attack buildings en masse. Would probably need some sort of artillery-multiplier (using clubs as non-siege).

I’d love laddermen as cheap siege units too as almost all civs used them however I don’t know how they would work mechanically in-game.

1 Like

I wanted to add something about civs. I like to expect some Balkan vibe. But for example, Greece could be a revolutionary state in the beginning. Before Greece got independent and since the aoe 3 supports history from 1500 to 1873, Greece became independent at 1821. Before that there were conquerors there, meaning instead of aging up, it could be adopting to companies like Cretan Company, Aegean Company, Phanariotic Company , there was the Duchy of Epirus at some point or the foreign civs Greece was conquered by like Venetians, Franks, Ottomans with various cons and pros, finally the Age V could be the independence time where the player could choose between the political parties existed at the time, like Russian, France or British.

Unique traits could be about churches with a factor of boosting morale, with lower morale units won’t fight with their outmost potential. Since Balkans have a lot of domestic animals and mountains it could be a trait with each shipment to get extra sheep or cow and a boost on these factors of the game (since it’s mostly dead right now). I just gave an example of how they could be and I am referring to the Greek state, cause I know more about it. It could be about other Balkan states/civs too. Since it could boost(fix?) a property that the game has, why not adding this one?

Not every civ has to age up, right? Aging up meant about civs like British or Russia, or America that had a rivalry and they were mostly stable and tried to prevail. Since Greece wasn’t stable in the middle of a geostrategic point that many countries wanted it could be that way.

Bulgarians were under Otto too at some point so they could have the same logic, or being influenced from Russia for example and I don’t know more from here. Why not give a new perspective in the game? I believe this will add up overall. Instead of choosing between age up or rev, go from rev to rev, and finally to age up.

One civ that hasn’t really been talked about that much but could be a cool addition is the Malays. All the states covered by this civ could offer a lot of of variety for the deck. And we could also have the Castilian War on Borneo as Historical Battle, where the Spanish also brought Native American and Filipino warriors and the Bruneians had Ottoman, Somali and Indian support troops. It would be like you average skirmish game, but in real life.

1 Like

All civs do, in fact, need to age up.

1 Like

It can be a historical map too…

Maybe this digging stick could be given to the [Shorn One] unit which would be a new future unit for the Aztecs as I have suggested before. They could use it when attacking walls specifically, thus giving them an unique attack animation when engaging walls.

My reason for giving them the digging stick is because aside for being shock troopers, the Shorn Ones did also took on special tasks as well as battlefield assistance roles when needed according to what is stated on the Wiki.

If the developers took some inspiration from the “Battle of the Middle Earth” games, then the walls in [Age of Empires 3] could be changed so that they will also function as platforms for infantry units to walk on and where wall scaling type units will be used to ascend to these platforms, just like how it works in “Battle of the Middle Earth” when using siege ladders or siege towers against rampart walls.

A section of the wall could be converted into a type of wall that has a set of stairs behind it by the player that constructs these fortifications.

Though this may be complicated to implement for the game.

1 Like