My proposed balancing for September/October patch

All SL get a small f discount

First let me say that this is one of the best list. I agree with almost all the ideas!

This is good and enough imo for militia line

This would be a good buff for some civs like tatars

These civs do not need a buff, but improving game variety is good and these units are underusedā€¦

Buffing GC is necessary imo, especially for the training time. The other ideas are good despite the priority is smaller.

What about +5g every time you sell? Turks need an help in trash warsā€¦

Strange but fine. Even if a small eco push would be good. Like TC techs cheaper and/or researched faster.

This is not enough, Italians are very bad. Some alternatives:

• archers (including skyrms and GC) -40% TT
  • archery range units can be trained also in barracks and stables (this is very unique imo and not OP at all)

Ok

Maybe Steppe lancers will have some useā€¦

I would like to see this

Why?

Very good!

2 Likes

I know you have an other opinion but for me Italians are already good, they are more supposed to be a team game civ.

But even in 1v1 they are quite nice, they have cheap HC that are even stronger with the gold buff and strong Condos. In Feudal and early castle age, they are nothing special but the free Skirms upgrade give them a strong push to defend. And with GC they are really fine.

And one last thing: training barrack and stable unit in Archer range or other way round is not possible. You have not enough buttons and shortcut for your keyboard. Player would be annoyed of this.

1 Like

If the intention is to see more samurai, without buffing Japanese, would it be viable to make samurai faster but remove squires? I know itā€™s a big nerf to an infantry civā€¦ but theyā€™d still have some of the most cost-effective halbs and champs.

About SL: fair point, but I donā€™t think itā€™s enough to justify researching ESL with Cumans, which is something Iā€™d really like to have an excuse to do more often. Theyā€™re a fun unit to use.

A good solution for this has been proposed already, to do it the same way the docks do. With 2 pages and the hotkey/button to switch between the pages.

1 Like

No! Thatā€™s the reason why I hate playing on water. I have macro for this but training fire galley is still a mess. Trust me the player will dislike this change.

Portuguese:
I change the armor bonus for Infantry. They will get it for free by reaching Imperial Age. Or maybe castle age would be OK too

Hey someone else who hates the dock hotkey priority :smile:
Does this post describe your problem? Help me petition the Devs to fix it :smiley:

1 Like

I do not agree that much, but then just -40% TT to all archers fixes everything, land play and GC, in one single shot

Why buffing infantry instead of an early game eco bonus?

Portuguese weakpoint is their late game. The Infantry bonus give them an option to play with champion in the late game. In castle age they are pretty strong - cheap Archer, Knights, monks and Mangonels.

2 Likes

Why is it late game? And if it is, I donā€™t think champs will help. Something like Hussars might

5 Likes

Portuguese have a decent late game actually. Plus everyone expects a fix of the UT, which should further helpā€¦

I would give them an early game pushā€¦

Same thing for Bulgariansā€¦

Personally I like that they chose not to change the balance this past month, and Iā€™m hoping they do less frequent/more minor changes going forward. I donā€™t think itā€™s good for the game competitively to have sweeping changes that cause you to have to relearn multiple civs. I agree with buffs/nerfs for things that are obviously breaking the balance. But a list like this shouldnā€™t be implemented imo.

But anyway, impressive list!

1 Like

I didnā€™t see anything that was a bad idea till I got to civ balancing section where I liked almost nothing. I donā€™t really see why m@a upgrade should be cheaper or faster though. M@a opening is so strong already.

Just be aware this also gives them a 20%gold cheaper copy of the Italian condo (if they have an Italian ally)

Atm italian condo is the only FU one with +1/1. If porto were to receive that buff it gives them that same condo but cheaper (remember condos were originally nerfed due to the ally combinations)

Not saying its OP. But itā€™s something to consider.

Man says viperā€™s remark about CA is meaningless, same man wants to buff britons. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Is it? Who ever said that? How are they strong in the early game? Most people will agree the strength of a unit discount is higher when you build multiples of that unit ie later into the game. As opposed to getting a free tech or harvesting early resources faster or a combination of bothā€¦ These all have a bigger impact much earlier.

Now letā€™s look at what porto gets and try to work out where their strength liesā€¦ Is it in the early game? No. So where must they be buffed?

As an exampleā€¦ Mesos or vikings donā€™t obliterate porto because portos ā€œlate game is weakā€ā€¦ They obliterate because they have vastly superior economies much sooner

In fact its actually the complete opposite to what you saidā€¦ Porto has a much better late game than those civs yet will still regularly lose to them.

DISCOUNTED FU infantry, arbs, cavaliers, BBC, every eco upgrade except gold shaft mining, only lacking illumination on the cheapest monks in the game . In what way is their late game ā€œweakā€ compared to half the civs in the game?

A lot of units that have a big discount lack a powerful upgrade (goth armour) ,or have a big hole in their tech tree (mayan cav and champs) yet porto donā€™t really suffer from that afflictionā€¦

OK then letā€™s take a look at Portis what they have for the late game:
Arbalest + Halbs (slow but still OK) + Onager (not SO but still fine with SE) and BC, cheap Cavalier as supporter, OG can be strong in mass

Mayans:
Arbalest + Halbs, Eldorado Eagles, Plumes, SR, Scorpions

Celts:
Faster Infantry, Wood Raiders + amazing siege

Lithuaniens:
Strong Paladin, Leitis, Skirms, Halbs, BC

Vikings:
Arbalest, Infantry, Berserker, all siege units

Honestly if I play for late game I would prefer other Civ with stronger composition. But yeah Portos still have Feitoria, can be good if gold runs out like on Arena.

2 Likes

If woad raiders being faster than normal infantry and having a better version of squires for free is fine, faster samurai will be fine too.

6 Likes

Then just buff samurai base speed to 1.2 but no need to remove squire. Faster samurai seems not OP?

4 Likes

How are Mayan scorpions late game behemoths?

As of Celts their late game is good but itā€™s basically infantry+siege and everything else is a meme

Lith have that strong late game but they arenā€™t really economic powerhouses by any stretch of the imagination.

And Viking? worst light cav+pikes that are ā€œgoodā€ cuz they are bootleg halbs, and only siege option they have over Port is the siege ram (good) and heavy scorpion (who cares) in exchange for no BBC.

Which translate into endless BBT. Which none of the civ you mentioned get besides Lith, and seriously who build those as Lith?

3 Likes

Ah yes thatā€™s why every player pick Portosā€¦Then you can play Death match and see which option you have to fight your enemyā€¦Letā€™s ask all the other high elo player they are thinking.

I would always go for Vikings on late game they are way stronger, even on Death match

1 Like

Viking late game is probably one of the worst in the game. Vikings suck on Arena.

No Halb, No BBC/BBT, no Siege Onager, no Heavy cav or Hussar to raid. Having FU Archers doesnt do anything against Skirm Siege and Paladin.

My techtree has them missing SO and BBC, which is a huge issue.

3 Likes