My suggestions for AOE III - balance and otherwise

Torp out gather kancha but kancha doesn’t need any map requirement. They are cheaper but more effective than bank.

Um…it may be not very OP but I would still consider this is bad design copied from shrine.

“Japan having a slow start and bad basic food gathering” is almost used as the justification of everything else Japan gets.
Then there is a simple way to solve that: give them a more standard start and slightly better basic economy from cherry/berry bushes, then reduce the additional economy they can get from building a lot of shrines (because there are people who think Japan would be doomed if they do not build shrines all over the map, so let’s make it less crucial).
Then we can talk about unit stats and all those buffs that multiply with each other.

EDIT: same with Swedes, but their problem is deeper.
They don’t have a worse basic economy (they lack vil cards though), but torps can give even more additional economy than shrines.
They lack a lot of units but they have one unit that is average in the beginning and can be buffed to do almost everything.
These problems need to be addressed as well. I don’t think “giving them a huge power spike but try to push them as late as possible” is a good design, and not to mention that power spike is not late at all.

1 Like

A more unique design would be making them increase gather rate of nearby villagers, and movement speed of nearby military units.

1 Like

I have suggested so but was still rejected, they just want shrines 21. Even I suggested only food is available to compensate their food gathering penalty, is still considered becoming trash. Their vils don’t have penalty on gathering wood and gold right?

This is because all you want is to play age of empires 2 with age of empires 3 graphics, civs and units.
Thankfully, aoe4 will carry over the same asymmetry as age of empires 3.

1 Like

Then I wonder why people don’t complain about other very unique civs like china or ottomans, or Lakota, hmmmm.

Japan is no simple coincidence, there are more unique civs than japan, but not more powerful civ than japan.

1 Like

You’re in the wrong forum.
Find a way to feed your desires to nerf japan without touching the shrines.

That could also be done, it worked with brit to have an insane economy as long as you have weak units, so we just have to nerf japans units, since japan has a better eco than brit Japanese units would have to be worse than British ones, if we do that this would probably be what could be done

Ashi speed to 4.1

Yumi archer cost increase +5 wood

Yabusame range resist reduced to 35%

Samurai cost reduced to 90food 90 gold

Golden pavilion now gives standard Arsenal ups rather than advanced ones, Dutch consulate gives advanced Arsenal upgrades

Flaming arrow gets a new card in age 4 for more area of effect.

1 Like

If you can find a way for Japan to survive goon+skirmish compositions late game, then you can nerf the asigaru.

They have three options, either yumi yabusame, or yumi walls, or ashigaru flaming arrows.

2 Likes

Anyhow, at this point I am far more worried that walls are just much too cost effective and easy to replace, and some civs, like China for example, have very little counter play against someone who walls off.

Agreed that walls are quite strong, I think if pillarless wall exploit was removed it would be fine, in theory walls are fine for their cost, but in practice because of being able to delete pillars and still have your wall not have holes in it it’s very strong

2 Likes

I don’t think so, the bastion walls are very strong and if you stack advanced fortifications or masons or whatever the name of the card that boosts building HP is, they become way too hard to take down and it is very difficult to actually surprise someone with a strategy, since they have ample time to respond to almost everything.

In team with bastion of course even without pillarless walls walls would be very strong, also potentially in 1v1 with extensive fortifications.

How does changing one building turn the game into aoe2? Since when has shrine become the only unique feature in aoe3?
Isn’t China/Russia/Aztec unique? Why did people keep complaining they were weak?

Isn’t a civ with auto-gathering buildings that can capture animals, and villagers that cannot hunt, and a special unit that can buff nearby units and produce units and receive shipments, and a building that spawns free units, and a free advanced arsenal card, and units with overall better stats, a switchable universal buff on all units, and ability to train every unit in batch of 10, and 2 unique consulate options, unique enough?
Isn’t any other civ unique enough?
But the game would become aoe2 if you change the shrines!

2 Likes

In the discord that I am, when the subject was discussed, several who were present spoke about the same thing xD

21 I can’t hold laughing when I suggest to nerf Japan, I am hoping aoe3 to turn back aoe2.

I even didn’t say to remove their all trickle.

Seems aoe3 original and twd is also aoe2 to him.

I am really respecting to these guys need to find some unreasonable excuse to reject.

Sorry, if Japan don’t have trickle house, this is only aoe2 with aoe3 graphic.
(Other 16 civs (may be 15) are just general civs like aoe2.)

1 Like

You not answering just confirms me. Also I never said people not posting here agree with me. But when someone is claiming a lot of people are complaining about the 4.5 speed and you cant find even 10 people on the forums expressing the same you just cant say that, because unless proven otherwise its just not true. I can say a lot of people are in favor of banning portugal as a civ. This is simply not true as far as we know, just like stating a lot if people are in favor of removing the 4.5 speed when there isnt any valid measurement done to see how many are in favor and not. We simply dont know if they are in favor or not.

Never said they were.

This is barely anything really.

Oh my. I suddenly forget it was YOU who started saying there is very few people complaining about the speed.
So of course it’s MY responsibility to prove that huh?

Then next time come with an ANALYSIS rather than throwing out BIIIIIIIIG words like “asymmetry so okay” “advantage so okay” “uniqueness so okay” “there is a weakness/counter/possibility to defeat them so okay” “others ALSO have {fill in something only similar in function, but vastly more expensive and less efficient} so okay”.

Perfect. Some people think we need that change. You think that does not change anything at all. So there is no harm changing that right?

This is just one topic at the beginning when DE released.

Again with most people complain for a long time, dev chose to ignore.

2 Likes