Nerf caroleans? A little too absurd? V2

Yeah, I will admit that only 2 weeks playing as Swedes might not be the best sample. :sweat_smile:

I guess what I’m trying to say is the problem is Strelets being bad in general, not Caroleans being particularly good at ranged fights. (I think that they are too good on melee thought)

Strelets loses fights because they are outranged to Skirmishers, Dragoons and Caroleans.

So I guess the problem is not Caroleans having too much range, is Strelets having too few range and Russia don’t having other option.

Because even if we nerf Caroleans ranged attack, Strelets will just still lose to Dragoons and other Skirmishers. So I guess Russia needs a Skirmisher unit.

Somedays ago I actually proposed a Chinese Mercenary Contractor for Russia to solve this problem. (Sugestion: Chinese Mercenary Contractor for Russians)

I think giving Russia a Skirmisher unit will be the ideal solution, and a lot of other civilization already have Mercenary Contractor that fill the gap of units that these civs don’t have (Lil Bombards to Portugal since they don’t have a Falconets, Fusiliers for Dutch since they don’t have Musketeers, and Jaegars to Swedes and British since they don’t have Skirmishers, etc)
So I don’t think is too absurd to give Russia a politician that allows them to create a good ranged unit (Iron Troop).

Thing about Ashigarus is that they have a quite bad melee attack. I actually believe that they are the only Musketeer in the game that loses a fight to a Hussar.

So they cannot realistic charge at Skirmishers like Caroleans do, since they don’t do nowhere near as much damage. They only can kite Russian Strelets and the Aztec Macehualtins.

But this is exactly why Strelets are bad. You need to upgrade they too much, and have a ton on the field (That ocupies a lot of population space), and they still have such a low range that they keep getting poked by units with higher range and dying for no reason.