Nerf rams

Select the TC and right click the unit.
Use shift+right click to select multiple units and the TC will ignore the rams as long as the units you clicked are alive and in range.
Also when facing rams, build houses or other buildings to block their access to the TC.
Use your villagers to attack the rams, they have torches.

You can’t target units with buildings in Age4.

It switches prior if you regarrison it, but the targetting seems really random.

2 Likes

No, you cant. The building will keep shooting its initial target. Ofc I tried selecting the TC and right clicking, how else do you think I realised it doesnt work? That’s what targeting units means = you select the building and right click the unit.

3 Likes

Its an issue with allowing TCs to be built in feudal. Why they decided to change that is beyond me.

the entire design of the game is sped up/streamlined, its like saying

waiting until castle age was outdated in aoe2, so was a lot of obsolete design choices.(mainly the terribly repetitive/RNG dependent dark age of aoe2) the entire idea of aoe4 is to be able to do everything sooner, look at early horsemen for mongols for example

I think rams are good. Please do not change them, expensive, you need a tech for it ( well in most cases ) so, no, please don’t touch it.

The problem being everything isn’t sooner. Only a small selection of things are leading to less options as viable. In 2 if someone went for a fc boom the big counter is mangos. Which isn’t an option so you must use rams which makes the game decided by that single ram attack.

I feel rams are the 100% definition of fine. They are quite expensive they die incredibly quickly to basic villagers. But without them attacking a TC is basically impossible, as most feudal units are shredded in seconds.

I feel the whole arrow magnet business is bad design - but if you could target with a TC, early attacks would be impossible. And you could I guess nerf TC shooting - but I think people like some early rush defence. So I think what you have is a good compromise.

3 Likes

Except if they have archers which your defenses cannot target. You can have towers all around your base and 50 villagers, but if there are rams between the archers and the defenses they literally do nothing.

Rams are indeed totally broken.

use villagers to burn it
also train infantries
build houses around your TC
Build early walls
Build outposts
GG EZ

Ram Rushes will fail.
Very easy to prevent

1 Like

They bring archers as well all those things are now irrelevant.

That is why you build outpost and use it to kill archers.
Click on your TC and also do the same thing

What is so difficult?
train cavs too

Always be ready and expect your enemy depending on their civ.
Calculate and think about their bonuses.
Play “Art of War” please

1 Like

The TC doesn’t target archers even with command. This is discussed as an issue earlier in the thread. I believe though im not sure outposts do the same. All of which auto target rams.

• Rams are very expensive especially in 1v1

• Rams are only helpful before the Castle Age, since after that everyone will have big armies rather than 12 men + rams where you will gamble an early tryhard victory

I used to think Rams were too powerful to use counterweight trebuchets and artillery, now I don’t think so. You just have to do the right thing to prevent it.

buildings need to be able to target fire. currently unless you actually all in feudal as well rams will soak and you autolose.

rams = forced play style = broken. either all in feudal to defend against rams or lose.

1 Like

It’s become quite bad that if people can’t counter something, they are rushing to the forums and asking for nerf. The rams are perfectly fine. Very expensive and huge risk. If they would be harder to make ( longer build time, higher wood cost, or added gold cost) then the games would be very long and boring, and early defense would be too hard to break.

Try to create a new strategy against them, use walls, and of course scout and make units. If the enemy comes with rams and archers and you have nothing to do against them, then it’s your bad. Why would anyone wait half an hour for you to reach imperial and start to make units to steamroll?

Except abbasid, you need to reach feudal, blacksmith, upgrade, collect 300 wood, and make a lot of units to make them fast. I just can’t understand whats the problem with this. If you are surprised by a ram attack after this, then you did not scout at all.

Rams are fine. The only civs who can really rush with a ram at Feudal is Abbassid or HRE. In both cases, its going to be an infantry push with rams and an all in. You can use French, Rus to go early knight, archer to counter that. For English you go defensive and build your own early MAA. Mongols can hit you earlier with Mangudai, Horsemen before the timing. With Delhi and China its harder, but if you scout it, you could go archer, spears. I think defending against a feudal ram attack is just a skill gate where new players will struggle, but better players can deal with it scouted ahead. Its just like the mongol TC rush.

Of course youre forced to change playstyle. Any all in strategy does. Not because it forces people to change means its OP. Its a skill issue that most people need to able to prepare and scout properly in Feudal. You’ll get an idea what the enemy is planning with their age up time, landmark and buildings. If you see two rax, you should prepare. If people cant even age up consistently to Feudal at 5:00-5:30, you’re probably going to die to a ram rush.

2 Likes

This sounds like a ram all in cheeser response.

A couple of troops burn them down? You must be playing a different game. First of all it takes ’ a couple of troops’ 15+ seconds to kill a ram in feudal. Second they have units killing your units while you try.

3 Likes